• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Canning was meant to last you over the winter. Would home canning be sterile for many years? Probably but not worth the risk IMO.

S has not hit the fan if you will MAYBE feed your dog cheap food.

Dog Chow Ingredients.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein (Min) 21.0%
    Crude Fat (Min) 10.0%
    Crude Fiber (Max) 4.5%
    Moisture (Max) 12.0%
    Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.5%
    Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0%
    Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
    Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg
    Ingredients
    Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), meat and bone meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, whole grain wheat, egg and chicken flavor, animal digest, calcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

That's people food when you are hungry.

This is SHTF, and you wont be worrying about Holistic food for your dog.
    images

Can you tell me WITH OUT LOOKING IT UP what all these are
    pyridoxine hydrochloride
    potassium chloride
    L-Lysine monohydrochloride
    choline chloride
    pyridoxine hydrochloride
    To name a few. On top of that- added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), bone mea......REALLY?

Even though i'm on a tight budget i try to find a way (coupons) to live by. For example, if you go to the dog food website and sign up for their news letter, they will send you a $5 or some times $10 coupon.

Do this every month with a different e-mail and you just saved yourself some money.

Also pet stores like PetSuppliesPlus have their own deals. I know the dog food i buy cost about $40-$45 and they had it on special for $35 + my $5 coupon = $30 + tax.

That's how i do it.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    If done when they are young enough, I think that is what sailor is trying to say, your everyday dog being able to sit or stay on command, isn't the same as a dog who has been trained young to guard and protect. Most family pets are not trained like that, they are trained for the basic things, sit, stay, lay down, don't jump, and so on.

A family pet will be usefull to alert you but I wouldn't expect them to defend you to death. We also train and reward with food, I can get past any family dog with food without getting bit or attacked, I do it everyday especially if they are real hungry in a shtf situation.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Can you tell me WITH OUT LOOKING IT UP what all these are
    pyridoxine hydrochloride
    potassium chloride
    L-Lysine monohydrochloride
    choline chloride
    pyridoxine hydrochloride
    To name a few. On top of that- added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), bone mea......REALLY?

Even though i'm on a tight budget i try to find a way (coupons) to live by. For example, if you go to the dog food website and sign up for their news letter, they will send you a $5 or some times $10 coupon.

Do this every month with a different e-mail and you just saved yourself some money.

Also pet stores like PetSuppliesPlus have their own deals. I know the dog food i buy cost about $40-$45 and they had it on special for $35 + my $5 coupon = $30 + tax.

That's how i do it.

No and it does not matter. SHTF, its food. Think that kid in the picture cares about Chloride in his food? You want to feed your dog holistic food by all means do it. A rabbit head and entrails is organic. Your dog must not be too large to not be able to live off of the scraps of your subsistence.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I trained a couple dogs with a local K-9 unit years back. We did it to increase the worth of the dogs more than anything.

From that limited experience let me tell you that not every dog is capable of being a guard dog that will fight to protect you. Some dogs can't turn it off either. The cop that was training had two German Shepards, one was not allowed to search for missing people because he always saw bad guy. Move and he attacked.

Of the dogs I caught while suited up I worried most about this one Doberman. Crafty little girl. Could fein an attack and get under the arm constantly.

Can't recall what he fed his dogs, but I know it was on a cops salary and he might have gotten some donations, but the PD didn't have funding to pay.

Kmcinnes : I have a similar philosophy about dogs that don't bite. Every able dog will bite... just poke it in the eye and see what happens.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you get a chance pick up the DVD series backyard food production. A couple in TX has a been pretty much self sufficient and the DVD and pdf's walk you through every possible detail of how they have done it, what works and what does not.

They have a section on choosing the right breed and size of dogs.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Kmcinnes : I have a similar philosophy about dogs that don't bite. Every able dog will bite... just poke it in the eye and see what happens.

Lol...That's right!

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    I love how some have stated i would eat there family dog.........makes me laugh......with the i am Rambo i watch to many action film attitude you truly don't understand the psychology of SHTF event can play on a famliy...... here some facts to think about.

Fact 1 . If it truly is a SHTF event and you kept the dog you truly don't know until you are in that position of you starving or the dog what you are going to do............. you can arm chair it all you want until you lived it you don't know.

fact 2. To say to your self that i would eat my family dog if i was starving that you loved in your family ......is like some of the PX warriors i have seen in combat they get there buy all the toys to wear and tell you they can't wait until they see combat and tell you what they would do in combat yet they go on there first patrols then in the first combat engagement they freeze or shock out and fail to preform the way they should, there some that don't but most do not until they been exposed to it a couple of engagement to understand and deal with it.

Fact 3. Lets say you can do it ........good luck trying to get your wife or kids to eat your family dog most studies done shows people would let them self starve before eating there family pet or other people for that matter, but would gladly eat a stray dog the psychology of man to a family pet is family..................... yet any other pet dog, cats , you don't know they can bring them selfs to eat.

Fact 4. Most family's would let the animal loose if they ran out of food for the dog long before they are out of food for them selfs to save them from making the decision if it happens.

just my :twocents:

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I love how some have stated i would eat there family dog.........makes me laugh......with the i am Rambo i watch to many action film attitude you truly don't understand the psychology of SHTF event can play on a famliy...... here some facts to think about.

Fact 1 . If it truly is a SHTF event and you kept the dog you truly don't know until you are in that position of you starving or the dog what you are going to do............. you can arm chair it all you want until you lived it you don't know.

fact 2. To say to your self that i would eat my family dog if i was starving that you loved in your family ......is like some of the PX warriors i have seen in combat they get there buy all the toys to wear and tell you they can't wait until they see combat and tell you what they would do in combat yet they go on there first patrols then in the first combat engagement they freeze or shock out and fail to preform the way they should, there some that don't but most do not until they been exposed to it a couple of engagement to understand and deal with it.

Fact 3. Lets say you can do it ........good luck trying to get your wife or kids to eat your family dog most studies done shows people would let them self starve before eating there family pet or other people for that matter, but would gladly eat a stray dog the psychology of man to a family pet is family..................... yet any other pet dog, cats , you don't know they can bring them selfs to eat.

Fact 4. Most family's would let the animal loose if they ran out of food for the dog long before they are out of food for them selfs to save them from make the decision if it happens.

just my :twocents:
    So how do you feel about eating a Horse?! :dunno:

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    So how do you feel about eating a Horse?! :dunno:

lol i personally have ate horse,dog, cat, rat, etc you name it...... have seen combat and life facing decision way too many times in my life... by no means am i a ***** ......but if i had to eat a family member or my family dog..... i would think i couldn't do it ...but i wouldn't truly know until i had to face it. i probably would let the animal loose if i ran out of food for the dog long before they are out of food for them selfs to save them from make the decision if it happens.

The real answer for me is to be prepared so i would never have to face the option of eating a family pet.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    lol i personally have ate horse,dog, cat, rat, etc you name it......
    I see eating the Family Dog/Cat/Horse/Hamster/etc,etc... no different than the Calf, Lamb, Hog, I have spent time raising and nurturing to butcher size...
    Maybe I am just a callous old bastard?! :dunno::popcorn:
    have seen combat and life facing decision way too many times in my life... by no means am i a ***** ......
    Jury is still out on this one... ;)

but if i had to eat a family member or my family dog.....
    i would think i couldn't do it ...but i wouldn't truly know until i had to face it. i probably would let the animal loose if i ran out of food for the dog long before they are out of food for them selfs to save them from make the decision if it happens.
    By all means let you pet run loose, I'll have no problem eating your ex-pet and letting mine get fat for another day... ;)
    The real answer for me is to be prepared so i would never have to face the option of eating a family pet.
    Can't prep for every option...

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Most family dogs would not survive being let loose. Its more humane to put the animal down.

you are right sailor................ i guess i would want to give the famliy pet a fighting chance.....in my mind he would desire it........ but the logical thing would put him down .........but in my mind seeing him as famliy the animal desires the chance for survival just as much as i do right or wrong thats how i would feel if i had to face that ......

as for jeremy .......Can't prep for every option...

i do for most am one of those crazy nutts :tinfoil: you hear about :D

Last edited:

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    If any pet could choose to sacrifice for its owner, it would be a dog.

i can tell you thats true from experience my dog Duke saved my life and gave he's in 2007 in Iraq ....

i have two retired army dog pukes with my sorry retired broken ass now..... i would give my life for them as they would for me......:patriot:

Top Bottom