• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Right now we have three months dry food stored, plus the bag being used. I put the bags in a plastic bag, humidity free, and drop that into a drum that I have just for storing mutt chow. Been doing it a few months now. No signs of trouble on the outside. Will give the first bag a year and open it up.

As long as there is something to feed him then I don't have to worry about scraps that I want for myself. Longer term, he eats his kibble, we give up a few scraps, he either makes up for it on his own, or we eat him.

Have to admit that flea dope and heart worm meds didn't cross over for the dog kit. Will start working on that now.

Treats are for now, and very few. Only store of that is the bag we have. No more.

My dog is well trained. I had to do it because nobody else would. Only had one incident where he grabbed fallen food before I could stop him. Entire polish sausage, cooked, one gulp, whole. Came back up in a few minutes. Maybe he learned from that, but I doubt it. All other times I can call him off of anything, no problems.

As far as the big dog versus the little dog... Mine is a black lab. Next one will probably be an ankle biter. They eat less and are just as, if not more alert. Live longer too. This guy might take a bullet for me, but I really doubt it. He talks the talk, but I just don't see it in him like I have in previous canines.

Little dogs can take a bullet too, they are just harder to hit.

.22lr bullet :):

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Have to admit that flea dope and heart worm meds didn't cross over for the dog kit. Will start working on that now.
    Cheap generic peanut butter and a Kong

Generic Listerene and a spray bottle. Mix with water, 25% listerene, spritz dog head to toe. Guess what, no stinky dog. It kills the stinky bacteria. I call it stinks no more. Learned it from the web, it works on my lab. Great for those sub zero days when I don't want to walk her to the waters edge.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    In a SHTF situation,we would see dogs in an altogether different way than we do now.We would keep those effective as guard animals,the others would serve as much needed beef substitute,

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    To explain a little further..

The Chihuahua was the "wife's" before I met her, he is a good alarm dog, but not much for gaurding, he barks like crazy when anyone is even close to our property.

The Shar-pei's were her children's dogs at their Dad's. She used to share custody of the kids but their Dad passed and now I have kids full time (which I love as if they were my blood) and dogs which I didn't ask for or want.

The direct impact on the stores was an issue along with caring for the animals. I refuse to take care of them, but have told the house that they need to be treated better or they are gone..

As for the 22LR comment, I already figured the compost pile will save digging a hole..

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Keep enough food for short term events.

If you do not have a BOL set up with land and gardens for a dog to protect. Kill it and eat it now.

If you are killing deer to feed a dog you are stupid. Venison is not free btw. Ask the average hunter what his expenses were to get a deer.

The ideal dog for self sufficiency is a mid size dog with some herding protection genetics. These dogs will keep the deer and coons out of your gardens and protect any livestock. They are small enough to live on the heads and entrails of rabbits you may be raising. They are work animals not a part of your family.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    To explain a little further..

The Chihuahua was the "wife's" before I met her, he is a good alarm dog, but not much for gaurding, he barks like crazy when anyone is even close to our property..

i could not agree more.. my chihuahua/doxin mix is a better alert dog than my cane corso is, and that damn cane corso was breed to fill the role of guard/watch dog in itialian farms many centuries ago! the cane would be the protector but he is kind of aloof when it comes to letting me know when someone is outside.

another thing i might want to add to this dogs and shtf scenario is has anyone else every eaten dog meat? i did once in iraq a few years back and didnt know until after i had finished my snack. i have to admit, it was not bad! and if it came down to me starving or my dog starving, i would be eating one of my own and move on

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Cheap generic peanut butter and a Kong

Generic Listerene and a spray bottle. Mix with water, 25% listerene, spritz dog head to toe. Guess what, no stinky dog. It kills the stinky bacteria. I call it stinks no more. Learned it from the web, it works on my lab. Great for those sub zero days when I don't want to walk her to the waters edge.

We have one of those kong toys, never loaded it with peanut butter tho, hmmm.

I like the idea of Stink No More. Problem is we have cats inside too (no need for cat hate rants), and they freak out over mouthwash smell. Might be funny to see them chase the dog for once though.

Oh yeah, anyone that wants to get rid of some of this free venison, let me know. I am almost out and mine wasn't free, or fed to the dog.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    what i meant was, hunting deer to feed your dog was 1 option.

A bag of dog food can cost $40-50 for a 30lbder. Some hunting can get you a few lbs of meat. Heck you can give them the scrapped meat.

There are YT videos about canning meat and storing for life. That's one solution to feeding your dogs when SHTF.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My specialty lol, Most Dog Kibble food will store for a very long time as long as it is not the Holistic foods that have to be refrigerated, for instance Purina Dog Chow will still be good for at least six months un opened at room temp. I haven't tried making it last any longer than that because in a shtf situation most people are going to be thinking of themselves and their kids, not the dogs. pet stores will probably be last on the looting list for most. However dogs can eat most everything that we can such as green beans, potatoes, carrots, canned pumpkin and so on, Most meat as well but contrary to belief, make sure it is cooked well (Don't want them to get Parasites) and off the bone (To prevent choking hazards). but do some research because there are foods that you do not want to feed your pet such as chocolate, grapes/raisins, onions, and some nuts because they are poisonous to pets. That being said, I keep close to 10 18lb bags of cat food and 10 50lb bags of dog food on hand, and we also have plenty of water on hand for them as well. We are able to keep it rotated very easily since we own and operate a Boarding Kennel. Plus side is if no SHTF it saves me from having to get food every week for the pets lol. Its also good to know Pet CPR/First Aid. The American Red Cross provides this training a couple of times a year, and I know that the Hendricks County Humane Society offers this as well.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    what i meant was, hunting deer to feed your dog was 1 option.

A bag of dog food can cost $40-50 for a 30lbder. Some hunting can get you a few lbs of meat. Heck you can give them the scrapped meat.

There are YT videos about canning meat and storing for life. That's one solution to feeding your dogs when SHTF.

Sams Club has 50 lb bads of Dog Chow for $23.00 a bag, and Members Mark brand (Same thing as Dog Chow just packaged for Sam's) for $19.00 a bag. Keep in mind the best way to prep is to find good deals!

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Sams Club has 50 lb bads of Dog Chow for $23.00 a bag, and Members Mark brand (Same thing as Dog Chow just packaged for Sam's) for $19.00 a bag. Keep in mind the best way to prep is to find good deals!

for a SHTF i would.....MAYBE go this route. The only reason i don't feed my dog ****ty dog food like Purina, AIMS, Dog chow, etc. it's because they have fillers and by-products and SO MANY chemicals.

I feed him holistic ****. Like Blue Eagle or EarthChoice. But i guess if SHTF, i might go cheap.

I just don't want him getting cancer from eating so many chemicals and food coloring kibbles.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    for a SHTF i would.....MAYBE go this route. The only reason i don't feed my dog ****ty dog food like Purina, AIMS, Dog chow, etc. it's because they have fillers and by-products and SO MANY chemicals.

I feed him holistic ****. Like Blue Eagle or EarthChoice. But i guess if SHTF, i might go cheap.

I just don't want him getting cancer from eating so many chemicals and food coloring kibbles.

Almost everything We eat has fillers, by products and chemicals in it, Dog food is no different. My 16 year old lab ate Dog Chow his whole life and and died of old Age not cancer, my dog before that was 18 ys old when he passed and ate the same thing, And if Purina Foods are good enough for the iditarod dogs in Alaska to eat, its good enough for mine. There have been more pet food recalls of Holistic pet foods than dry kibble, in fact purina Dog Chow was one of the only foods not included in the Wheat Glutten recall a couple years back but most all of the hollistics were. Its for survival, not champagne and caviar and if I remember right you are on a limited budget...right? So spending 40 to 50 dollars on a 30 lb bag of dog food seems.....not wise when you could spend the other 20 to 30 dollars on other preps. Just my opinion though.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Canning was meant to last you over the winter. Would home canning be sterile for many years? Probably but not worth the risk IMO.

S has not hit the fan if you will MAYBE feed your dog cheap food.

Dog Chow Ingredients.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein (Min) 21.0%
    Crude Fat (Min) 10.0%
    Crude Fiber (Max) 4.5%
    Moisture (Max) 12.0%
    Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.5%
    Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0%
    Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
    Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg
    Ingredients
    Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), meat and bone meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, whole grain wheat, egg and chicken flavor, animal digest, calcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

That's people food when you are hungry.

This is SHTF, and you wont be worrying about Holistic food for your dog.
    images

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    We started living with dogs about 12,000 years ago due to mutual benefit - why do people think a SHFT situation would be any/that much different? I know my dogs will increase my safety and ability to survive.

No, my dogs are not going to be getting Call of the Wild kibble and unlimited Milk Bones but them again I won't have hot house tomatoes and soy burgers. If and when it happens, life will change. Doesn't mean I have to live that way NOW.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Because the majority of dogs are not working dogs but family members and would not be a mutual benefit. Its an illusion to think that everyone's Fido will be able to step up to the plate and be a net benefit.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    but they still have instinct - and theirs is a ton better than ours. No, a little dog isn't going to be a hunter, but it will keep mice out of your supplies and alert you to danger. Larger dogs will flush prey, carry supplies, maybe even drag YOU out of a bad situation.

Every "Fido", no - by designing pure breeds we have created dog incapable of survival -example: Boston terriers cannot even mate or give birth without help. However, I think most people underestimate what a dog can and is willing to do for their owners and their own survival.

Like I said, I plan to have my dogs with me. And thinking of another thread, I WOULD use an unknown human for food before using one of my dogs. Pack survives by being a pack.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Because the majority of dogs are not working dogs but family members and would not be a mutual benefit. Its an illusion to think that everyone's Fido will be able to step up to the plate and be a net benefit.

That's not true. Any Mid/Large breed can be used for protection. It's up to the owner to train them.

Top Bottom