• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Meanest dog I ever knew was a St. Bernard Black Lab cross. Looked all cuddly, just plain mean. The dog ate a porcupine once, didn't just bite it and let go, swallowed it. The owner spent 6 hours at the vet trying to get quills out of its throat. They were sure it was going to die...but it didn't.

The next was a German Shepherd / Wolf mix. He trapped his owner in the back of a pickup because he woke him up.

They were all just dogs...trust them all no further than I would any other threat to the family, especially those that just show up unattended. We had a pit lose in the neighborhood the other day, I ran him off with a Cold Steel Shillelagh (9mm backup). Those that I trust through personal experience I only trust so far; strangers not at all. If it's your dog why is it in my yard?

I've seen a Rottweiler drag its owner blocks to get at another dog...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Meanest dog I ever knew was a St. Bernard Black Lab cross. Looked all cuddly, just plain mean. The dog ate a porcupine once, didn't just bite it and let go, swallowed it. The owner spent 6 hours at the vet trying to get quills out of its throat. They were sure it was going to die...but it didn't.

The next was a German Shepherd / Wolf mix. He trapped his owner in the back of a pickup because he woke him up.

They were all just dogs...trust them all no further than I would any other threat to the family, especially those that just show up unattended. We had a pit lose in the neighborhood the other day, I ran him off with a Cold Steel Shillelagh (9mm backup). Those that I trust through personal experience I only trust so far; strangers not at all. If it's your dog why is it in my yard?

I've seen a Rottweiler drag its owner blocks to get at another dog...

Meanest dog I've known? Toss up between a Pekingese, a Cocker spaniel and a Newfoundland. Neighbor used to have a Husky/Wolf hybrid that was a friendly dog except with rabbits... They also raised show rabbits and the hybrid got into the garage and killed about half of them. It was okay with other dogs and cats also.

I had a Rott that once dragged me face down about 10 ft across snow/ice to get to some kids on the sidewalk. She wanted petted and loved on. She also dragged a friends girlfriend about 15-20 feet face down across carpet to see what was going on, and this was a big girl 250lbs or more. She said she didn't even slow the dog down.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Not that it would eliminate dog attacks, but it seems most owners let their dogs be the alpha. My dogs know I'm the alpha. There is no question about it. Your dog is less likely to drag you down the street if it knows that you're in charge.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Well, it may have something to do with the number of people here talking about how they'll shoot an aggressive pit without hesitation when (in my experience) most people couldn't identify a pit to save their life, and aren't always that great at telling the difference between canine aggression and playfulness, either.

If you go on the internet, display ignorance on a subject, and then threaten to kill a member of someone's family based on that ignorance in a way that makes you sound almost proud of yourself for it -you *just might* get someone's cackles up.

People shoot aggressive Dogs not just Pitts, and personally i dont have to be able to identify what breed of dog it was. It will be laying there waiting for the dog catcher / owner to come claim. I could care less if a Aggressive dogs has pedigreed papers or its a inbred, crossbreed, hybrid or pound mutt. If its aggressive towards my family, myself or the public at large and I'm within the law my friend, that dog most likely is going to go visit Michael Jackson.
    It's really pretty simple, keep your dog ( aggressive or not ) contained, if you don't keep it contained exspect for someone else to retrain your dog.
    Oh and its a DOG silly, Its NOT a human.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    If you know you're right, why does it matter what other people think and say? Why bother defending your choice if you know it's right? You're not accountable to other people.
    Some have already given good answers to this. I get tired of worrying if the breed will be banned and possibly even taken away from owners, as has happened in some areas. If we want to travel with our pit, we have to worry about the cities and states where bans already exist. Shopping for homeowner's insurance is more difficult. My husband prefers another breed over pit bulls...Australian Cattle Dogs. I love them too, but they are every bit as much dog as a pit. One reason my husband prefers the cattle dogs- our pit is a big crybaby and raises a huge fuss if he gets left out of anything...lol.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not that it would eliminate dog attacks, but it seems most owners let their dogs be the alpha. My dogs know I'm the alpha. There is no question about it. Your dog is less likely to drag you down the street if it knows that you're in charge.

I'd agree that is part of the problem, as I mentioned before my Rott dragged me once and she knew I was the alpha she was just excited because she wanted attention.

It's really pretty simple, keep your dog ( aggressive or not ) contained, if you don't keep it contained exspect for someone else to retrain your dog.

I can agree with your first line, although it is still possible for someones dog to get loose, mine did once because a meter reader left a gate open. For the second sentence, I'm pretty sure that most that consider their pets family understand that they are not human. It still doesn't make them any less of a family member to them. Hell I like my dogs better than the vast majority of people and that includes a few human family members.

Some have already given good answers to this. I get tired of worrying if the breed will be banned and possibly even taken away from owners, as has happened in some areas. If we want to travel with our pit, we have to worry about the cities and states where bans already exist. Shopping for homeowner's insurance is more difficult. My husband prefers another breed over pit bulls...Australian Cattle Dogs. I love them too, but they are every bit as much dog as a pit. One reason my husband prefers the cattle dogs- our pit is a big crybaby and raises a huge fuss if he gets left out of anything...lol.

Sounds a bit like the Rott I used to have, my girlfriend at the time had a friend come over who was afraid of dogs so I put the dog up in the bedroom. She tore the door down to get out because she didn't want to be left out...

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

So there are some differences, but YET AGAIN :dunno:the pit bulls remain as much as the next two (2) identified breeds!
    Regards,

Doug

The problem here is that there are several breeds considered "pit bulls." Among them are American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bulldog, Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A couple of things, what do you consider a "pit bull" you do know that there are multiple breeds that fall under that classification right? Staffordshire terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire Bull terrier, Am pit bull terrier, Am Bull dog, Bull terrier.... And a couple more that some consider in that group such as Boxers. So when you take at a minimum a half a dozen breeds and lump them together against individual breeds it skews the results. Then add in any dog that remotely resembles those breeds it skews them even more.
    The problem here is that there are several breeds considered "pit bulls." Among them are American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bulldog, Staffordshire Bull Terrier

I think I read something like that before....

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    So when I present numbers, not opinions, these sources are attacked, questioned and undermined.

Ok, fine.

Perhaps my sources are wrong. Perhaps the numbers I have seen and read about are out of line. I will concede this - IF proven wrong.

Because what I HAVE NOT seen is a single, verifiable source of numbers from the deniers side. Everyone wants to be an apologist for pit bulls making all sorts of excuses about how they aren't what they appear to be.

So I now challenge all who say pit bulls aren't that dangerous - PROVE IT! Instead of posting opinions, innuendo and anecdotal stories show me ANYTHING from ANYWHERE that proves, statistically that pit bulls, rottweilers, etc are NOT the dangerous dogs the sources that I have so far found to be in such grievous error.

If my sources are so out of line then surely there must be verifiable data out there that says so, right...?

I await your sources of verifiable data with baited breath.

Regards,

Doug

There is nothing wrong with your statistics. The only dubious part of the statistics you have shown is the pit bull label. So many dog bites/attacks are attributed to a pit bull. If a dog bites it must be a pit bull. If a dog attacks someone it's clearly a pit bull. What also needs to be taken in consideration is the owners and the reason they have the dogs. Many have them because the dogs can be vicious and train them to be that way. They are the current manly dog to have and it isn't manly if it isn't mean.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    People shoot aggressive Dogs not just Pitts, and personally i dont have to be able to identify what breed of dog it was. It will be laying there waiting for the dog catcher / owner to come claim. I could care less if a Aggressive dogs has pedigreed papers or its a inbred, crossbreed, hybrid or pound mutt. If its aggressive towards my family, myself or the public at large and I'm within the law my friend, that dog most likely is going to go visit Michael Jackson.

Sounds like you take great pride in that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I do not see this. I to have put down a whacked out dog and will openly discuss it. The dog went bozo and met it's maker. Simple as that. Might have been someones pet but that was not a pet that I put down. It was freaking nuts.

I have also put down a dis-tempered dog. Not proud but not ashamed of either. Had to be done.

They are just dogs.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is a few years old, and I'm not sure how much the law has changed. But it seems prudent, since we've broached the subject of shooting attacking dogs, that we should be aware of the laws around that. Maybe some of the INGOnian legal minds might share some wisdom as well.

Does The Legal Justification To Use Deadly Force Apply To Animal Attacks?

My non-lawyer answer: I don't care. I'm not going to let animal harm me if I can stop it. I'm not going to measure my response out of concern for the animal. I'm not going to let it harm me at all.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The law seems a little less straightforward than it is defending yourself against people. I'd still like to see more discussion on the legality of defending yourself against an animal attack than the typical accusing/defending various breeds. Who cares about the breed? Aggressive and dangerous is aggressive and dangerous.

This is a few years old, and I'm not sure how much the law has changed. But it seems prudent, since we've broached the subject of shooting attacking dogs, that we should be aware of the laws around that. Maybe some of the INGOnian legal minds might share some wisdom as well.

Does The Legal Justification To Use Deadly Force Apply To Animal Attacks?

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Those poor women. I just read a new description of the attack today. It said that one woman lost 75% of her scalp and will never grow hair back. My thoughts go out to both women and their families.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I do not see this. I to have put down a whacked out dog and will openly discuss it. The dog went bozo and met it's maker. Simple as that. Might have been someones pet but that was not a pet that I put down. It was freaking nuts.

I have also put down a dis-tempered dog. Not proud but not ashamed of either. Had to be done.

They are just dogs.

You don't?

I shot it.. Then and there.

It seems that when you can't retrain the owner, its time to retrain the dog.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You don't?

Well.......maybe but a point is being made.

If the exact wording were to be shared between myself and a neighbor concerning his German Shepard (no, not a pit) this same message would come through loud and clear. With a lot more gusto I might add.

I am not anxious to harm any animal but will if it is off the reservation so to speak.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

:scratch:

My cat doesn't know (or care) what an "alpha" is.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Again, its so simple to understand. If someone owns a pet and does not take the full responsibility for careing for that pet and keep it under control and contained at all times. If pet owners don't think there are other citizens that will retrain your pet, they are dead wrong sir.
    Here's a question you can ask yourself, why do almost all of us carry a
    firearm ?
    Here I'll help you, I do to protect my family, people around me and myself.
    If people kept their pets contained then people like me don't have to clean up behind those who don't take responsibility for there pets.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom