• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A couple young kids approached a man with a dog I personally did not trust. The little black kid made the a wise statement. When one boy said "does that dog bite?", the black kid said, "he got teeth, don't he?"

Some dogs are just born not right, and no amount of training or nurturing will change that. Too many people are cowards in the realities of life. I had a couple pups that were going to be nusiance dogs, so I put them down. Most people will not do that. They will either tolerate a mean dog, dump the problem dog off some where ( for others to deal with) or wait until the dog attacks someone and then the authorities put will them down.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Unfortunately, most owners will assure you that the its all about the owner and that aggressive pitbulls have aggressive owners. While I partially agree, I know that at a moments notice, my dog could flip. If that day comes, I wont hesitate to do whats needed.
    My 3rd and LAST Pit was almost 7 yrs old. She had been the perfect family pet in the home. She was my kid's best friend and you could go to sleep on her and the kids could ride her and play with her in any way you could think of. Never a moment's worry out of her.
    Then one evening a neighbor's little girl was playing with her and my pit went for her face. Luckily the little girl's reflexes were good and it was just a scratch. A day or so later she went after my 4 yr old son and bit him.
    I had the pit put down at that point by the vet.
    Any animal can be dangerous and prone to attack. I loved my dogs BUT I saw dangerous behaviors and acted almost immediately on it.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    My 3rd and LAST Pit was almost 7 yrs old. She had been the perfect family pet in the home. She was my kid's best friend and you could go to sleep on her and the kids could ride her and play with her in any way you could think of. Never a moment's worry out of her.
    Then one evening a neighbor's little girl was playing with her and my pit went for her face. Luckily the little girl's reflexes were good and it was just a scratch. A day or so later she went after my 4 yr old son and bit him.
    I had the pit put down at that point by the vet.
    Any animal can be dangerous and prone to attack. I loved my dogs BUT I saw dangerous behaviors and acted almost immediately on it.

Definitely the right thing to do.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Pitt bulls attacked two women and the owner of the dogs, sending the women to a hospital in Indianapolis where they are in a "fight for their lives".

Since being jumped in '96 I always take the possibility of dog attacks seriously.

Sheriff: Women in ?fight for their lives? in vicious pit bull attack | wlfi.com

Animals that run loose aren't much different than leaving a loaded gun lying around. A number of times as a kid, we would go out to do chores, and would find packs of feral dogs (with collars) killing our livestock. We all grabbed rifles and shotguns, and killed as many of them as we could. The ones with collars were forced to pay for our losses (sheriff saw to that). Now, some dogs are more dangerous than others. A pack of chihuahua's isn't going to hurt a whole lot. Pack of pit bulls, definitely.

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    That's if you're there to do anything.. It just seems easier to have a dog that not predispositioned to be aggressive.. And not haveing to be worried about your dog wacking out. Keep good insurance paid up.

Good luck finding an insurance company that would pay out damages due to a pitbull bite. I haven't seen a company's underwriting rules that didn't list them as ineligible. The owner would most likely be paying it out of pocket.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I hope the injured do make a full recovery - I am from the area and do know those involved - the dogs were not trained and were barely concidered pets - Yes I agree the dogs should be put down and the owner held accountable - Very sad situation - I am and have been a dog owner since my early teens and have owned many breeds and yes I own 2 pitts, father & son pair - I had biting issues with a few of them and they ended up with extra cranial ventilation and honed their daisy pushing skills, but not once in the past 11yrs have I had any aggression issues with my pitts - yes you do have to be a Alpha with them but with any dog you have to possess that skill - not agressively either just strong willed - the reason I do have pitts is the very reason posted earlier, they are badass family protectors - most bad guys, theives, rapists,killers etc., know about pitts and their abilities and think twice about a entended target with pitts - my family loves them and they love us - as for the "Snap" to viciousness is any canines capability as do humans - it is how they are raised in my experiences - If you are responsable owner there isnt any issues - every canine has the predispostion for aggressive behavior, every breed of dog has been bred from a wild dog - if they are trained to know when to be and not to be any breed would be a great pet - most of my experiences of people and pitts are "Theyre Pitts just killm and be done with them" only because of the owners or passer bys ignorance of the breed and go by what sheep are piling on to and join without trying to educate themselves - Again positive energy for the victims

Kmocao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Somewhar in the Bush
    most of my experiences of people and pitts are "Theyre Pitts just killm and be done with them" only because of the owners or passer bys ignorance of the breed and go by what sheep are piling on to and join without trying to educate themselves - Again positive energy for the victims
    I'm fairly well educated on a number of different things related to this, and on top of that I've had personal experience with at least two of these awful animals. They should be more highly regulated than firearms in my opinion. A gun won't jump out of its holster and attack some harmless little girl on its own. Last year, pitbulls accounted for 65% of all dog bite fatalities, despite only making up 6% of the dog population, and the stats are about the same for the last 10 years at least. Numbers don't lie, I stand by my educated assertion that they should all be put down, but thats just me.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I'm fairly well educated on a number of different things related to this, and on top of that I've had personal experience with at least two of these awful animals. They should be more highly regulated than firearms in my opinion. A gun won't jump out of its holster and attack some harmless little girl on its own. Last year, pitbulls accounted for 65% of all dog bite fatalities, despite only making up 6% of the dog population, and the stats are about the same for the last 10 years at least. Numbers don't lie, I stand by my educated assertion that they should all be put down, but thats just me.
    A gun doesnt have a heart beat or the ability to be trained but yes most wre from pitts but how many were trained resposibly or not ? Most were not i bet -enjoy your education and Ill enjoy mine, thats just me

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I grew up in an area that was FULL of packs of feral dogs. When you went camping or fishing you packed a gun (or three). At night we could sit around the fire and look behind us and see their eyes reflecting the firelight. They wouldn't come closer than about 50 yards to a fire but there were many reported attacks - usually on small children. I sincerely hope that there is a special place in Hell for idiots who let their dogs run free. FWIW I am a dog lover and have always had a couple around - but I ALWAYS knew where they were. I would absolutely hate to have to shoot someone's pet. But I have seen feral dogs chase a deer until it had a heart attack and collapsed. Deer can run very fast for a short distance. A dog will always catch up to them. Every single Pit Bull I ever met who had a responsible owner was an absolute sweetheart. But any breed can turn rogue if left to roam on their own or tortured to fight.

Last edited:

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Now days, I figure an attack by a dog / pack of dogs is just about as likely as an attack by a human. One reason I am always armed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here is the thing. Behavior and temperament are genetic traits the same as hair color and length. The dogs have been bred specifically for their power, aggressiveness, and ruthlessness for God knows how long. A most other breeds will bite the **** out of you, but then leave you alone. A pit will go for the throat and do its best to kill you, and won't leave you alone till its forced away somehow. These animals should be outright banned, and if I had my way, every last one of them would be put down. If I'm ever charged by one, I won't hesitate to shoot it

Hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Love it the new guy gets right to the meat of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Meh. Any time I am in the presence of any animal that is big and strong enough to harm me, I have a plan to kill it if it becomes necessary. Well, that goes for smaller animals too, but it's a less sophisticated plan.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I grew up in an area that was FULL of packs of feral dogs. When you went camping or fishing you packed a gun (or three). At night we could sit around the fire and look behind us and see their eyes reflecting the firelight. They wouldn't come closer than about 50 yards to a fire but there were many reported attacks - usually on small children. I sincerely hope that there is a special place in Hell for idiots who let their dogs run free. FWIW I am a dog lover and have always had a couple around - but I ALWAYS knew where they were. I would absolutely hate to have to shoot someone's pet. But I have seen feral dogs chase a deer until it had a heart attack and collapsed. Deer can run very fast for a short distance. A dog will always catch up to them. Every single Pit Bull I ever met who had a responsible owner was an absolute sweetheart. But any breed can turn rogue if left to roam on their own or tortured to fight.

WE have set up and hunted Ferrell dog packs just like Coyotes. Dogs do not have an inherent fear of man. Especially those dumped.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Meh. Any time I am in the presence of any animal that is big and strong enough to harm me, I have a plan to kill it if it becomes necessary. Well, that goes for smaller animals too, but it's a less sophisticated plan.

....and most humans as well.

Top Bottom