• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Anything with teeth has the capacity to bite, but it does all come down to how they're raised, and when I see a vicious dog like that, the owner is the ONLY person to blame. Not the breed.

Dogs do what they are either taught to do, or do what they were never trained not to do.

This goes hand in hand with the entire gun debate.

You can't blame a gun for doing what it does, but you can blame the hand controlling it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    A few weeks ago on my bike (bicycle) ride that I do for exercise I was surrounded by a pack of four and a pitbull mix was leading the pack. As it was an uphill slog I couldn't outrun them and they were nipping at my heels even at a slow pedal so I dismounted and was surrounded by a snarling, snapping pack that was circling me and doing test lunges. If you've ever seen a video of coyotes taking a buck it was exactly like that. Included in this pack was the owner of the nearest house's "friendly, never hurt a fly" mutt that had never seen fit to raise its head when I biked by.

I drew my pistol and was about two seconds from killing the leader when a truck drove by and distracted the pack. I really didn't want to start a Hatfields and McCoys with the neighbor who lets their dog "run free to get out its excess energy" but I also was not going to let the pack draw first blood. A few days later I rode by again and the pack charged again but this time I had an expired can of bearspray ready (and my Glock 20 with extra magazine as I normally carry the XD-s when I ride) and I hosed the pack as they charged. Stopped them dead cold. I didn't get the satisfaction of hearing them yelp in pain as I rode off, but I am hoping they learned not to chase me. I haven't seen them since. We practice the 3S philosophy around here and ANYTHING that gets near the chicken yard dies.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Shibumiseeker, that should give you the result you're looking for. I have had to do this several times and the dogs that received the "love" have no further business with me when I returned.
    I'm in no way a dog hater and the last thing I want to do is shoot/kill one, but I flat out refuse to be bit. When I had to do this, I sprayed them directly in the face and continued until they left, not just disengaged contact.
    Runners, bikers and those just out for a walk would be wise to carry a small can of quality spray when out and about. The dog will be fine in a few hours but the memory of you should last them a lifetime.

EDIT: Works on the two legged animals too.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    I had a stand off one time with an aggressive pit. I honestly was standing there waiting for the attack. Thought it through. How I would turn my weak side and let it get me.

Had my hand on my gun, but didn't draw because I figured the movement would set it off.

Dog stood there growling (almost a huff) for what seemed like hours (just a few minutes). Then it got bored or figured I was pathetic and it turned and ran off.

I have seen nice pits but I have to confess I don't trust any of them. I am a profiler towards canines.
    i wouldnt wait for a bad guy to stab me before i drew my gun. dog acts agressive twards me while off a leash = dead dog

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Shibumiseeker, this should give you the result you're looking for. I have had to do this a few times and the dogs that received the "love" have no fuel pressure or positive pressure air flow to do business with me when I returned.
    I'm in no way a dog hater and the last thing I want to do is shoot/kill one, but I flat out refuse to be bit. When I had to do this, I shot each of them directly in the face and continued to shoot until they were all dead, not just disengaged contact.
    Runners, bikers and those just out for a walk would be wise to carry a firearm to of quality when out and about. The dog owners will be fine in a few hours but the memory of you shooting there beloved pet should last them a lifetime.
    Maybe they will take better care of the next dog.

EDIT: Works on the two legged animals too.

here.. I fixed it for you sir.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I don't believe there would be enough disfigurement and death from dogs to make the National News..
    Wouldnt matter. The argument is still the same. You eliminate the top 5 most aggressive dogs, and 5 more breeds then become the most aggressive.

Not a ton of drug cartels make national news, doesnt mean there are not a ton out there. Eliminate the top 5, and the next 5 become the top. The argument is endless and could go on and on.

And yes I know comparing a drug cartel to a dog is like comparing a pillow to a shotgun.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Wouldnt matter. The argument is still the same. You eliminate the top 5 most aggressive dogs, and 5 more breeds then become the most aggressive.

Not a ton of drug cartels make national news, doesnt mean there are not a ton out there. Eliminate the top 5, and the next 5 become the top. The argument is endless and could go on and on.

And yes I know comparing a drug cartel to a dog is like comparing a pillow to a shotgun.

I love the lenghts that people go through to try to justify the reasons for owning a bully dog or one of the top 10 aggressive Breeds.

It's your house sir, do as and what you can afford to do.
    To me its as same as the old saying, Drive Big.,.,.,, Pay Big...

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I love the lenghts that people go through to try to justify the reasons for owning a bully dog or one of the top 10 aggressive Breeds.

It's your house sir, do as and what you can afford to do.
    To me its as same as the old saying, Drive Big.,.,.,, Pay Big...

I'm not arguing this because I own a pitbull. I'm arguing this because your logic doesnt make sense. Eradicating 5 breeds entirely just makes 5 different breads the most aggressive.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Good luck finding an insurance company that would pay out damages due to a pitbull bite. I haven't seen a company's underwriting rules that didn't list them as ineligible. The owner would most likely be paying it out of pocket.

That's great, especially when I figure that the total net worth of the pitbull owners on my street amounts to what they have in their pockets.

In that case, if their dog bites you, it all comes out of YOUR pocket.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    Any dog attack is going to be vicious they are animals with a mouth full of teeth that are designed to rip, tear and break bones. I do feel that the Bully breed has been seriously harmed by Dumb @ss people breeding them to fight, inbreeding and dissocializing them. There is a lot of bad blood within the breed but they aren't the only breed that has gone down that path and like the Dobermans can be fixed with responsible breeding and ownership. My uncle has a pit that scares the sh** out of me and I know that one day he will hurt someone bad. I would be very , very picky about buying one of these dogs. But can you blame a breed of dogs when its the human interference that's changed them. You know that this topic isn't to far from gun control and the 2nd amendment. People buy dogs like these for self defense and defense of their family and property, Shouldn't they be allowed to defend themselves? The owners should be held liable for their dogs actions and breeders should be held accountable as well through blood test to ensure responsible breeding practices and why the heck do insurance companies get to pick and choose what dogs to cover, how about refusing you health insurance because you are diabetic and a higher risk, or were not going to cover any female under the age of 40 because she is more likely to get pregnant, they shouldn't be allowed to exclude anyone or any breed of dog if you want the faster car the bigger house or a more capable dog then pay for it . Next if you have a firearm in your home they wont insure you unless its a shotgun because everyone knows that's all you need. input purple were needed. Sorry if none of this is coherent but I've been up working for 28hrs now with no end in sight. I hope the 2 young woman pull through and the dogs caught before further damage is done.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Had a friend who had two beautiful Bernese Mountain Dogs. Brother and Sister I believe. One was the most mellow, loving dog I have ever come in contact with. The other was down right vicious. Couldnt go anywhere near it without it being extremely aggressive. He owned a small hobby shop that I helped him with. Kept both dogs in a room with a piece of plywood up against the doorway. A customer and his wife came in one day. They raised dogs professionally. The wife wanted to see the dogs. Dogs owner said dont go too near the door because one of them is mean. Lady proceeded to go the doorway and reach in to pet the dogs. The vicous one chomped down on her hand immediately and really tore it up, good. Luckily we knew these people and they where warned prior to the incident. The vicous one was immediately taken away and put down.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I had a near miss last year near downtown Lafayette while my fiancé and I were walk our 35# basset hound and 4.5# chihuahua. A pit bull that was running loose came after us. After multiple kicks to its face and torso, I drew my .357 revolver and was prepared to end the attack. The owner ran out and picked up his dog and was very unhappy I had a gun out. We quickly walked home about 4 blocks, the owner followed for about a block yelling at us. Lafayette police were called, they sent animal control to speak with the owner.

I saw saw pictures of the victim in the Carroll Co. Attack that was airlifted to Indy. She had devasting injuries in my professional opinion. Very lucky the passerby stopped.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm not arguing this because I own a pitbull. I'm arguing this because your logic doesnt make sense. Eradicating 5 breeds entirely just makes 5 different breads the most aggressive.

Again not that this is what I would do, what I said was as.,.,.,.

But most certainly if the top five Breeds of dogs that cause massive injury and death when attacks happen were exterminated, the death and disfigurement of people and other animals would be almost non existent."

You stop with the eradication after the first 5 Breeds are gone.. You don't continue with the elimination's. How hard it that to understand ?
    With the elimination of the top 5 bad beeeds the injurys, disfigurement and death to humans will be almost nothing. There is no need to go any farther.
    With how you are thinking i will equate it to vigilantism, and that's not a good thing because eventually you run out of the bad folks to eliminate. And with that you manufacture new bad people to keep the elimination machine going. And eventually you are killing folks for Jay walking.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    This discussion sounds like we are talking about people. There are good and evil, sane and insane, some just plain crazy. This i why I carry a gun.

Part of the problem with some pet owners is, they treat and think there pets are human.

Top Bottom