• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Good luck finding an insurance company that would pay out damages due to a pitbull bite. I haven't seen a company's underwriting rules that didn't list them as ineligible. The owner would most likely be paying it out of pocket.

Interesting, if that's the case in today's world I hope that Bully Breed dog owners all own their homes and vacation cabins outright so there will be something for the settlement of the lawsuit. Plus the standard 25% of there paycheck forever.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would really love to get a GS pup and raise it around the G-daughters but the 8 year old is allergic to pet dander of any kind so, alas, I can not.
    That said I would be responsible for the animal if we had it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I saw what a pit bull did to a 4 year old little girl when I lived in Florida. It was the family pet and was very well treated. Until it went snake **** and attacked the little girl for no reason that anyone could ever figure out. The dog was killed by an off duty cop with five shots to the head from a .38 special. The girl will live with the scars, both internal and external, for the rest of her life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I saw what a pit bull did to a 4 year old little girl when I lived in Florida. It was the family pet and was very well treated. Until it went snake **** and attacked the little girl for no reason that anyone could ever figure out. The dog was killed by an off duty cop with five shots to the head from a .38 special. The girl will live with the scars, both internal and external, for the rest of her life.

Regardless, there is too much evidence that they are not stable.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I didn't intend to pile on Pit Bulls. In fact, the dog that attacked me was a Rottweiler.

I know all breeds can be dangerous. I merely posted this to point out that there are no safe places, not even out in the country in Carroll County.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Yea.. Yea... Politicians and Esquirers fall into the same group,
    Nothing happens by accident,.,.,. Nothing.

Why do you hate Rottwilers..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't intend to pile on Pit Bulls. In fact, the dog that attacked me was a Rottweiler.

I know all breeds can be dangerous. I merely posted this to point out that there are no safe places, not even out in the country in Carroll County.

I just state my opinions from personal experiences. No intention to pile on the breed.

But, like I stated already, a lot of evidence to show they are on the edge.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gender is a factor too. My brother in law had a pair of Rottweillers. When the male matured, he tried to assert himself as "mr. alpha".

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have had bad experiences with a few pit bulls in my neighborhood. The owner did not make sure that the dogs were secured in his backyard. Anyway, my thoughts go out to these people. What this means to me is that I should always carry.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

You have to be mistaken. It was a pit bull that bit you.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm fairly well educated on a number of different things related to this, and on top of that I've had personal experience with at least two of these awful animals. They should be more highly regulated than firearms in my opinion. A gun won't jump out of its holster and attack some harmless little girl on its own. Last year, pitbulls accounted for 65% of all dog bite fatalities, despite only making up 6% of the dog population, and the stats are about the same for the last 10 years at least. Numbers don't lie, I stand by my educated assertion that they should all be put down, but thats just me.
    According to dogsbite.org, which is obviously an anti pit bull site, there were 42 dog bite related fatalities last year. 27 of those are attributed to "pit bulls". Their sources are media reports on dog bites. For the media, pit bulls are to dog bites what Glocks are too pistols. Most pistols are Glocks to the media and most dogs that bite are pit bulls.

For that you think every member of the breed should be exterminated?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    According to dogsbite.org, which is obviously an anti pit bull site, there were 42 dog bite related fatalities last year. 27 of those are attributed to "pit bulls". Their sources are media reports on dog bites. For the media, pit bulls are to dog bites what Glocks are too pistols. Most pistols are Glocks to the media and most dogs that bite are pit bulls.

For that you think every member of the breed should be exterminated?

I'm not going to give my opinion on the extermination of a certain breed,
    But most certainly if the top five Breeds of dogs that cause massive injury and death when attacks happen were exterminated, the death and disfigurement of people and other animals would be almost non existent.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I'm not going to give my opinion on the extermination of a certain breed,
    But most certainly if the top five Breeds of dogs that cause massive injury and death when attacks happen were exterminated, the death and disfigurement of people and other animals would be almost non existent.

But then could I use the same argument with the then top 5 most aggressive dogs?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So....all this talk of dangerous dogs....slippery slope? I've seen a whole lot of *****ing about the breed in this thread, and not much about the **** bag owners of said breed.

Yes, dogs can be dangerous.

Eliminate ****bag owners, and watch the injury/death statistics plummet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the breed, I have no opinion on it, aside from garbage in, garbage out, lets punish the owners severely.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So....all this talk of dangerous dogs....slippery slope? I've seen a whole lot of *****ing about the breed in this thread, and not much about the **** bag owners of said breed.

Yes, dogs can be dangerous.

Eliminate ****bag owners, and watch the injury/death statistics plummet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the breed, I have no opinion on it, aside from garbage in, garbage out, lets punish the owners severely.

True but there are incidents of loving family's having issues.

As I stated up thread we have a local GS that will get put down if it comes in the yard again. As you say.....idiot owner. He has been informed of our intentions if the dog is not contained. Definitely the owner on this one.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Wife and I have a pit bull terrier. He has been neutered and his shots are up to date. He was 3 when we got him and weighed about 50lbs., a year and three months later he weighs about 85lbs. His favorite toy is a bowling ball that he can carry around and chews on (for real) and a big piece of rope. HE is a rescue dog, as are others we have had, and loves to be loved on. I lay on the floor everyday and he likes to wrestle. When sitting he lays on my feet and sleeps against me in bed.

My point is that there is skill involved with animals just like with firearms. With both you should know what you are doing. He works for me just as some guns work for me. Some love them and some hate them, to each his own. They are not the most powerful biting dogs, but are in the top five. He is the first line of defense in the house.

Remember when Chows were the breed to hate?

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    First and foremost, prayers to the young victims.

It always cracks me up to hear "freedom lovers" talk about banning/regulating various things.

Problem animals, regardless of the number of legs, should be dealt with individually in a swift and severe manner. Unfortunately that does not fit with today's PC/it's not your fault society.

Top Bottom