• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Yesterday my 4yr old daughter came running in screaming that their was a snake in our back yard, It's common to run into them quite frequently around here so I didn't think anything of it.

So I go out to run it off so the kiddies can get back to playing but this thing decides to "bug in" under my propane tank. I think "no big deal" and proceed to poke it with a little stick careful not to hurt it....and it starts rattling its tail like it's a rattle snake!!!!!!!

Obviously it is not though, it was all black with a white chin with huge eyes, but that sucker was aggressive striking at anything that moved near it.

I finally got it out and on its way but it totally freaked my wife out, I was given strict orders to shoot on site if it came back.

Well, around 9 this morning I go out with the girls to let them play, and what do ya know, there it is again stretched out about 6 feet away from our porch, I went over to it to see if I could get it on its way without making a scene and this thing went to striking at me and rattling its tail again. This sucker was just under 6 feet long, I got a chance to measure it:D

This snake will not be bothering us anymore, but I would like to know if anyone has seen this behavior before??

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I firmly disagree with killing snakes because they are snakes!

That said, if they are a hazard to me or mine, same goes with anything else that is a hazard to me or mine...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I am here for you whats up I know quite a bit about them. If the eyes are round its not venomous if they are "cat-eyed" they are. with the exception of Boas and Pythons and Anacondas. rattling there tails is a defense mechanism to try to make others think the are like a rattle snake. sounds like it could be a black rat snake. On a side note she may have been defending her nest...
    Black%20rat%20snake.jpg

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Sounds like a black rat snake. One of the larger snakes in our area. They're beneficial eating rodents, but they scare the bejeezus out of me when I unexpectedly encounter them. They'll vibrate the tail to make a sound like a rattlesnake.

Elaphe obsoleta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rule of thumb for Indiana, slit pupils, poisonous. Round pupils nonpoisonous.

I relocate the black rat snakes (don't want them going after the chickens or eating eggs). Copperheads out in the woods I leave alone. Copperheads near the house, I kill cuz I'm not going to risk getting bit trying to relocate them. And for those snake lovers out there, yes I know the difference between a corn snake and a copperhead.

Wait until you encounter a hognosed snake. They're fun, they will aggressively play dead.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Just to clarify, I do not kill snakes.. I have a huge snake that lives in the attic of the old farm house I live in, "you should see the snake skins that are up there " He has been around for 2 yrs now, I always have to look for him while mowing but most of the time we stay out of each others way, This snake in particular was just extremely aggressive, and would not take the hint that he was not welcome due to its attitude towards anything that got within 4 feet of it!!

I'll see if I can get any pics tomorrow and post them.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    You did what you thought was best for your family! Better safe than sorry. At least you know because I bet there are a few more around you... Not all of us have a Peterson's field guide to reptiles and amphibians as their "Bible" ...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The black rat snakes I've had in the garden wanted nothing to do with me. I actually welcome them, as they are doing good for me. However, after a few sightings they seem to go away.

I've never ran into an aggressive one. I'm curios how you relocate an aggressive one?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    with a pillow case... lol I would say call me and I would come remove it for you but I would probably have a lot of snakes and the wife would not like that... I had a seven footer I kept as a pet along with my 13 Northern banded water snakes and my 7 turtles In my huge enclosure I built.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    I agree that the black rat snake that I see quite often is totally laid back, It absolutely does nothing when I see it, I have to shut the mower off and literally have to "help it" move outta the way, It doesn't seem to mind.

Now the nasty sucker that I just dealt with flat out didn't want anything to do with anyone being around it period.....I am pretty laid back and don't enjoy killing anything I do not eat, but I had enough of this ones attitude.

I told my wife to go grab my gun, she brought out my 870 with 12 gauge Honady TAP in it......................:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I killed a 4' NA water snake 20 years ago, thinking it was a copperhead. I've felt very crappy about it ever since.

Pretty common mistake I had Three and came home from school one day to about a dozen baby snakes some of which found a way out of their home... lol Mom was not happy when she went into her bathroom and the was a baby snake hanging out in there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Pretty common mistake I had Three and came home from school one day to about a dozen baby snakes some of which found a way out of their home... lol Mom was not happy when she went into her bathroom and the was a baby snake hanging out in there.

I had one swim between my legs while "bank fishing" in Muck boots. I was pretty creaped out, but it still lives.

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When i was about 9 I caught 3 baby water snakes and had them in a 5 gallon bucket and playing with them. When Dad got home and saw them he started yelling and pulling me away. Found out they where baby copperheads. Don't know why the didn't bite me but they didn't. Luck of the stupid i guess.:D

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I was bank fishing at potato creek yesterday, sitting on the bank and all the sudden right next to me I hear some leaves move, look down and there is a snake about 3 Ft. long. I darn near crapped my pants.
    I watched him for a while he went down the bank and into the water then back out, up a little branch and into a leaf pile.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    When I was a boy my grandfather kept a big rat snake in the corn crib on the farm. Never had a mouse or rat problem. However around the house and garden my grandma never gave a snake a chance.

Top Bottom