• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    They are fascinating creatures to watch. I love them, if you weren't so far away I'd take it off your hands for you.

Last time I went camping I shot, killed, skinned, and ate a rat snake. Probly not the safest thing to do in most peoples eyes, but it was good and I was hungry.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Did you happen to see the coloring on the snake's underside? My guess would be a black rat snake due to your description of it regarding main color and size. I never kill snakes. I just mess with them a little, then relocate them to a safe place. I caught this beautiful black rat snake at my brother's house last year:

Black_Rat_Snake_3.jpg

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Eastern Cottonmouth? Is that a term for a Copperhead?

Anyhow, I have a quick way to determine poisonous snakes from non-poisonous.

snakexw.jpg

Nonpoisonous snakes have two rows of scales between the vent and the tip of the tail, while
    poisonous snakes have only one row.

Of course, you have to be careful in using this method to determine this. I still fear the Cottonmouth. As a kid, they were the worst. Very aggressive and territorial. My dogs protected me more times than I can count scooting through the Bayou's.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Eastern Cottonmouth? Is that a term for a Copperhead?

Anyhow, I have a quick way to determine poisonous snakes from non-poisonous.

snakexw.jpg

Nonpoisonous snakes have two rows of scales between the vent and the tip of the tail, while
    poisonous snakes have only one row.

Of course, you have to be careful in using this method to determine this. I still fear the Cottonmouth. As a kid, they were the worst. Very aggressive and territorial. My dogs protected me more times than I can count scooting through the Bayou's.
    I normally see Cottonmouth referring to Water Moccasins but some refer to copperheads as well they are closely related.
    That may be a little hard for someone who doesn't know their way around a snake... lol

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Copperheads are different from actual Cottonmouths. 20 years ago they were not even in Southern Illinois/Indiana. Since they have moved that far north. Here is the best map that I can find.

800px-Agkistrodon-piscivorus--range-map.png

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If yer afraid of snakes, then just leave 'em alone. Problem solved.

The Center for Reptile and Amphibian Conservation and Management

Copperhead
    Copperhead3.jpg

Cotton mouth
    cottenmouth.jpg

Timber rattlers
    TRS299.jpg

All found state wide south of Indianapolis. They love to come out and sun themselves in the open deer and foot paths deer, turkey and hunters use. Many time spending the dark hours on the open paths warmed the previous day in the sun or near the path where they can catch the first warming rays of the morning sun. They've been know to slide up a hunters pant leg seeking the dark warmth of an open pant leg as a hunters sit leaning against a tree in the dark awaiting the dawn gobble of a turkey.

They might even be attracted to the contented cluck and purr of an unsuspecting "hen" feeding, building a nest, or tending eggs an egg sucking timber rattler may be hearing the leaves rustle lightly as she scratches and clucks, or he might be surprised when he pops out of that hollow tree or from under the downed log or rock pile to find be big scary city boy he'll have to bite.

Last edited:

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Did see one the other day at mounds state park, and last year at brown county park. Mounds kinda supprised me, I was not aware they were that far north in Indiana. Didnt have my camera. Sahsa ( my new 6month old puppie ) spooked it, then thought it was a toy. Luckily It decided to only rattle, scared me more than the dog.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I get so mad where I live. It's almost 20 miles of dirt road to the area I live in. The snakes tend to sun on the road in the evening. People run over them on purpose. The two most common out here are bull and rat'lers. If I see one I stop and get them off the road.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I don't like spiders or snakes... but that ain't what it takes to love me! ... Ya fool ,Ya fool. Sorry, I couldn't get that song out of my head.

Chondro788

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    SE Indianapolis
    Did see one the other day at mounds state park, and last year at brown county park. Mounds kinda supprised me, I was not aware they were that far north in Indiana. Didnt have my camera. Sahsa ( my new 6month old puppie ) spooked it, then thought it was a toy. Luckily It decided to only rattle, scared me more than the dog.

If this was truely a Timber, you need to let DNR know. This would be extremely far north in Indiana to find one. And being that they are state endangered in Indiana, I'm sure they would appreciate it. My only question is, could it have been an eastern massasauga? They are found in the northern part of the state, and again this would be rare for it to be this far south, but it would make more sense then the timber. Here is a pic of the massasauga. They are a small rattlesnake, usually under 24" as an adult. They are also rare to see, and state endangered, so again you should let the DNR kn ow that you saw one. Another great group to ask questions, and to let know about the rattlenskes you come across is the Hoosier Herpetological Scoiety. You can find more info at Hoosier Herpetological Society Great bunch of people!!
    EMass_GL.jpg

Chondro788

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    SE Indianapolis
    Also, as an avid snake enthusiast, I am proud of all the members who leave these great animals alone!! :+1: :rockwoot: They really are important to the ecosystem and deserve a spot in our forest along with all the other animals we love to see and hunt. :ar15:

Top Bottom