• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    We had a small black rat smake show up at my parents house, my dad just picked him up with some stick and walked him to a feild near their property, never saw him again. He was also pretty agressive. If he comes back take a picture and post it if it is safe to do so.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    ahhh a little snake bite never hurt anyone.... lol
    on a side note if you are bitten one of the worse things you can do is jerk your body part away from the snake as this causes tearing and can also cause teeth to be pulled put and embedded in your skin. That being said that is a very hard to not pull away... lol I have tried.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I normally see Cottonmouth referring to Water Moccasins but some refer to copperheads as well they are closely related.
    That may be a little hard for someone who doesn't know their way around a snake... lol

Cottonmouths ARE water moccasins.
    Copperheads are almost identically similar, but prefer land, whereas cottonmouths prefer water/swampy areas.

Used to have one of each as a kid in two terrariums for about two years before they got loose in the house. One was Fangs and the other was Monty.

You just have to treat them with respect, never trust them, and never put wire mesh on top of their terrariums or otherwise they'll escape.

Ask my mom how I know that. :):
    Boy, she just about ran into the next county when she found Monty in the washer swimming around with a load of whites.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    If this was truely a Timber, you need to let DNR know. This would be extremely far north in Indiana to find one. And being that they are state endangered in Indiana, I'm sure they would appreciate it. My only question is, could it have been an eastern massasauga? They are found in the northern part of the state, and again this would be rare for it to be this far south, but it would make more sense then the timber. Here is a pic of the massasauga. They are a small rattlesnake, usually under 24" as an adult. They are also rare to see, and state endangered, so again you should let the DNR kn ow that you saw one. Another great group to ask questions, and to let know about the rattlenskes you come across is the Hoosier Herpetological Scoiety. You can find more info at Hoosier Herpetological Society Great bunch of people!!
    EMass_GL.jpg

well they look very simular, I will let dnr know that I saw a rattle of some kind. Thanks

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    well they look very simular, I will let dnr know that I saw a rattle of some kind. Thanks

For them to take it seriously I think that they would want a picture.... I am sure they get a lot of calls on people saying they THOUGHT they saw something or saw a rattle when in reality it was something else.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    very carefully

The black rat snakes I've had in the garden wanted nothing to do with me. I actually welcome them, as they are doing good for me. However, after a few sightings they seem to go away.

I've never ran into an aggressive one. I'm curios how you relocate an aggressive one?

I find a stick is usually all I need to dissuade our 6 footer. just keep pushing on a part. not too hard. if he coils up to strike just back off and let him start off again. keep pokin and he usually gets the idea he isn't welcome under the lawn mower.

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    Here's what I found in my garden last weekend (Indianapolis). I'm not originally from Indiana, can anyone help identify?
    I don't really care for snakes, and this one played dead at first, but was then very aggresive and striking. I relocated it along with the salamander.

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    The snake looks like it could be an Eastern Hognose. They also are know for playing dead. Salamander could be a spotted salamander but its hard to tell from the picture. As previously stated was there any coloration that you could see in the picture.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I used to live on the SE side of Indy. Troy and Arlington. During the summer I found snakes in my yard every week. They liked to hide under the hose reel box and under those things that you put under your gutter spout to deflect the water. Only a couple of them were aggresive. I usually just left them where they were. I accidentaly killed one. I was using the weed eater and it came flying out of the planter box as I was going by. The kids and I caught one to keep as a pet but mama wouldn't have anything to do with it. :(

I wonder if my renters have discovered the amount of snakes there yet?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    The snake looks like it could be an Eastern Hognose. They also are know for playing dead.

My guess as well. An eastern hognose snake was the first snake I ever had as a pet. I found it in the woods while playing as a 5th grader in 1978. They are fascinating snakes -- they'll puff up like a cobra, hiss, mock strike, and if their bluff is called, they'll roll over and play dead. What is really amazing is that they never bite.

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    Was there any color on the under side of the salamander?

The salamander was a really dark charcoal gray, with a pattern similar to a snake, with crossing lines, etc. I didn't see any spots. It was wedged between some retaining blocks, thought it was a really dark night crawler at first.

Eastern hognose, huh? Yeah, it was really pretty, with the patterns and bright red mouth. Thanks for the feedback.

Top Bottom