• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    Mobil 1, synthetic differential grease, ATF and WD40.
    :rockwoot:

(Before anyone goes all spastic about using WD40 on firearms, please note that I do not use it as a lubricant.)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Lubiplate on anything needing grease, CLP or remoil for a preservitive.
    I used Kroil once to store a "chipmonk" .22 I was saving for when the Grandkids got older, ended up having to scotchbrite the bolt to remove a sticky gummie substance after it had sat for about a year.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Been thinking about using Frog Lube

I have been using frog lube all this year. Works great and really does help out a LOT on the cleaning. The smell is also so much greater. I still love the smell of Hoppes 9, but it can get overpowering quick, but Frog Lube works amazing. I used it on a couple firearms first, but now, its on all my firearms, and all I use for my personal weapons. I still have some old CLP that I used when cleaning others. If you need some info on Frog Lube, PM me and I can try to send you some links.

I have used WD40 on weapons, and engine oil as well in a pinch. They both worked fine, but was always easier to clean with CLP before and after instead of using others. As I had already mentioned though, Frog Lube is my new go to though.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yep, we did too. At one time, I'll bet there wasn't a single home in your neighborhood that didn't have a can of "3-in-1" sitting around in it somehwere.

And it'll still work just fine, even though we're all way too cool and sophisticated to use it anymore:D

Hahaha I've still got a can in the shop, use it for everything....cept my guns, I'm too cool to to use it on guns anymore ;)

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I mixed 1 quart hd-30, 1quart 5-30, 1 quart automatic transmission fluid, and on small bottle of hoppes #9 really havent tested it extensively but read about in the lastest copy of rifleshooter magazine and its supposed to be real good for ar's

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Automotive oils are designed to draw moisture to it! Never use anything on your gun that is not specific to guns and says gun oil on it!

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I have been using frog lube all this year. Works great and really does help out a LOT on the cleaning. The smell is also so much greater. I still love the smell of Hoppes 9, but it can get overpowering quick, but Frog Lube works amazing. I used it on a couple firearms first, but now, its on all my firearms, and all I use for my personal weapons. I still have some old CLP that I used when cleaning others. If you need some info on Frog Lube, PM me and I can try to send you some links.

Glad someone has an opinion about this stuff. I saw a Gunsite vid on youtube about it and it made me curious.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I used to work with a guy that used to be. Green beret and said in the hotter (temp) countries they used jet engine oil... The conventional stuff did not do well with the temps and sand. Have had a few others verify it being used from time to time. Would not do that well around here.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've pretty much used CLP for the last 10yrs or so. Once while shooting a new Beretta 92 it was pretty dry I just pulled the dipstick from the VW out and put a drop of 20W50 on the rails and it worked great the rest of the day! I wonder if any of the above concoctions might damage blued finishes. :dunno:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Glad someone has an opinion about this stuff. I saw a Gunsite vid on youtube about it and it made me curious.

No problem. My friend had sent me some, i tested it, and since then, works great and easy to clean afterwards, totally made worth switching all the firearms for. Between that and the boresnake, i saved hours on cleaning.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Automotive oils are designed to draw moisture to it! Never use anything on your gun that is not specific to guns and says gun oil on it!

So, motor oil is hydroscopic, like alcohol?? I recall leaving some metal parts submerged in motor oil for an extended time, they had slight rust on them when I pulled them out. OK, makes sense. Not suitable for corrosion protection. I had a can of spray lube with lanolin in it that seemed to work great. Can't find any of it now.

Top Bottom