• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Automotive oils are designed to draw moisture to it! Never use anything on your gun that is not specific to guns and says gun oil on it!

Not all automotive oils are designed to draw moisture, just primarily engine oils.
    Oil manufacturers rely on the engine oil running hotter than 212 degrees to boil the water content out of it.

Also, for the amount of surface area that is exposed to lubricants on a firearm, and the fact that guns already have an existing protective finish, they will not have rusting problems like a raw cast iron or unfinished carbon steel part.

Oils that are acceptable are "filming" oils...I dont know the correct word ...but oils that either dont run easily, or leave a film...like gear oil...its not heavier...just stickier.

Most oils have cleaning properties to them....sometimes a good thing...sometimes its not.

Either way I dont think youre going to damage your firearm by using non gun specific cleaners or lubricants...I havent yet...mobile 1 bearing grease +1 for red and sticky!

God bless
    -Shred

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    On a side note, while bacon grease is not the best lubricant, rendered sheep fat(mutton tallow) is about the slickest stuff on earth. It burns off quickly in high heat, but in lower temp applications it's great and a tiny amount goes a long way. I have a small container that an old German toolmaker cooked up for me 20 years ago and it's still good stuff.

Top Bottom