Do you think Schools are going too far??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Sounds about right for the current policies in schools now. When I was in high school, back in the late seventies and early eighties in Northern Michigan, the school practically shut down during hunting season. It makes you sick doesn't it?:rolleyes:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Ok, I'm going to offer a different perspective, then sit back with my flame suit on....

I can see your point, and it makes sense IF and only IF you accept the premise of public education in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and respect the efforts of your parents for a career that I'm sure was very honorable and admirable. I just am of the opinion that public education has reached a point of wasting so many resources trying to please everyone that they rarely please anyone. :twocents:

Maxsec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    I have a Neighbor that was a senior in High school last year, and he and I went deer hunting one weekend during shotgun season. He got lucky and took a real nice buck. When I went to help him drag the deer out , I found the spent slug shell on the ground under his treestand, and picked it up and put it in my pocket. once we field dressed the deer and loaded it in his truck, we headed to the check in station. At that time I pulled the spent shell out of my pocket and put it in his cupholder. later the next week, while in school he was called to the office and the principal and two police officers were there, and the principal was holding the spent shell in his hand, and told him he was suspended for the remainder of the school year for violating the school firearms policy. A teacher was doing a random parking lot check and saw the shell in the cup holder and called the police and they broke into his truck and tore it apart looking for a shotgun, that wasnt there. I thought this was TOTAL B. S., and felt responsible since I put the shell in the cup holder. I'm all for keeping schools safe , but Dont you think that was a BIG over reaction ???

How about posting the name of the school and the principal for all of us to know who this jack@ss is.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I can see your point, and it makes sense IF and only IF you accept the premise of public education in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and respect the efforts of your parents for a career that I'm sure was very honorable and admirable. I just am of the opinion that public education has reached a point of wasting so many resources trying to please everyone that they rarely please anyone. :twocents:

I know this isnt the topic of the thread but what exactly is the "premise" of public education? Not defending or endorsing it, just wondered what you meant.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    For what it's worth:

• About 8 years ago the local school gave my 2 grandsons (in 3rd or 4th grade) a 3 day expulsion for having empty .22 casings in their pockets. I took them target shooting the day before, and most boys like to carry empty casings...
    • I took them back to the Indianapolis school and demanded to see the school code or regulation banning scrap brass metal from school properties, and to enter that reg # on the expulsion papers. The principal called school police and asked them what to do. 10 minutes later, they were both back in class; and I was at home.
    • The only regulation that the principal tried to show me was one that prohibited more than (IIRC) 1/4 ounce of explosive... She called police after I explained that propellent wasn't exactly an explosive and the .22 casings were spent/empty in any event.

Of course, they may have changed the regs to anything; since then.

Last edited:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Public schools can get away with authoritarian and rigid policies because they have a monopoly on education for the most part. That is why I support a voucher system for education. Let consumers take their student's portion of education dollars and go purchase education from someone they prefer. I think if public schools had to compete for students like Ford has to compete for customers, they would be more responsive to what they consumer wants and likely be turning out a better product. I'm guessing they would also be filling their staff with the best of the best, not whoever is most tenured.

I once got called in for a conference with my middle school student's entire academic team to discuss a disciplinary infraction. Five highly compensated teachers sitting around for 25 minutes talking to a parent about a 7th graders third infraction in a school year. :spend:

He got two referrals during the year for talking in class and then he committed the high crime of..........wait for it.........gum chewing. :ugh:

After the conference, the teachers and I had a little chat without my son in the room. It seems I never got invited back. :rockwoot:

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Anything to cover their own asses anymore.

When I was in elementary school I used to draw guns on everything. Today I'd be kicked out of school and on meds. Funny thing was my dad wasn't into guns at all and at the time I had no clue he even had one.

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    They call my house. my day off and they ask me to come to the school for a meeting with the principle. I go in there and they start lecturing me on the dangers of firearms. :xmad:

This is where I'd have just about lost my mind & told them exactly what they could do with their lecture! This crap is out of control. I have a 4 1/2 year old son & all he talks about is guns & knives, and hunting & fishing. I know I'm getting called to the school on more than one occassion in the future, and they better close the doors when I get there because it's not going to be meant for everyone's ears.....

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    This is where I'd have just about lost my mind & told them exactly what they could do with their lecture! This crap is out of control. I have a 4 1/2 year old son & all he talks about is guns & knives, and hunting & fishing. I know I'm getting called to the school on more than one occassion in the future, and they better close the doors when I get there because it's not going to be meant for everyone's ears.....
    I felt the same way myself, but I thought about it and decided to approach it in another matter. I did not want to come off as a mad gun owner,what I believe I sounded like to the principle and police officers was a level headed responsible gun owner. Believe me, I wanted to freak out on them but IMHO it would not have helped with the situation or preventing a negative steretype of the gun owner.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I felt the same way myself, but I thought about it and decided to approach it in another matter. I did not want to come off as a mad gun owner,what I believe I sounded like to the principle and police officers was a level headed responsible gun owner. Believe me, I wanted to freak out on them but IMHO it would not have helped with the situation or preventing a negative steretype of the gun owner.

Freak out might have been the only way to make them see the error of their moronic ways. All you did was justify yourself . Nothing to put them in their place. I have no doubt they will not think twice about doing the same thing again.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Freak out might have been the only way to make them see the error of their moronic ways. All you did was justify yourself . Nothing to put them in their place. I have no doubt they will not think twice about doing the same thing again.

With all the negative press that gun owners have been getting, then and currently, freaking out on them would not have helped to better the image of a gun owner but probably would've worked into their stereotype of us. Could I have handled it differently, absolutely. If it were to happen again, would I react the same, absolutely. To each their own.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    For what it's worth:

• About 8 years ago the local school gave my 2 grandsons (in 3rd or 4th grade) a 3 day expulsion for having empty .22 casings in their pockets. I took them target shooting the day before, and most boys like to carry empty casings...
    • I took them back to the Indianapolis school and demanded to see the school code or regulation banning scrap brass metal from school properties, and to enter that reg # on the expulsion papers. The principal called school police and asked them what to do. 10 minutes later, they were both back in class; and I was at home.
    • The only regulation that the principal tried to show me was one that prohibited more than (IIRC) 1/4 ounce of explosive... She called police after I explained that propellent wasn't exactly an explosive and the .22 casings were spent/empty in any event.
    Of course, they may have changed the regs to anything; since then.
    You did good. I think half of the hysteria in schools is mind bending, and the other half is ignorance about firearms and ammunition. I have to admit though, kids now act differently about firearms than when I was in school. I don't remember anyone talking about blowing others away at all. We had fist fights, usually broken up by coach knocking our heads together and making us shake on it, and most boys had pocket knifes, but nobody drew them on each other. To many Liberal Hollywood types making millions off of shootem' up movies and gun using video games now in my humble opinion.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    With all the negative press that gun owners have been getting, then and currently, freaking out on them would not have helped to better the image of a gun owner but probably would've worked into their stereotype of us. Could I have handled it differently, absolutely. If it were to happen again, would I react the same, absolutely. To each their own.

I juse don't see how showing them up for the idiots they were would reflect bad on gun owners. The white knight defense hardly applies.

The LEOs and school admin. had no right to question your child. They did it for their own nefarious reasons and they should have been called on it or they will contioune to in those type actions. Thus you may have subjected other children and parents to there dishonest ways.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

My son (now 9)was taught years ago that what is talked about AT home, stays AT home. NOT at school. I've never been called in to talk to them about anything :yesway:

frogman342

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    They can legally search a car on school grounds but this is a clear case where they went WAY to far. I can understand searching under reasonable suspicion because the spent cartridge was in plain sight on school grounds but after no firearm was found the student should have been informed and asked to be more careful with what is displayed in his vehicle.

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    My son (now 9)was taught years ago that what is talked about AT home, stays AT home. NOT at school. I've never been called in to talk to them about anything :yesway:

And he's able to completely seperate the 2? If someone at school starts talking about things that you guys talk about at home, it seems to me that it'd be hard for him to keep the 2 seperated. I definitely agree with what you're saying, but it seems like it'd be hard for a youngster to keep one conversation (with you at home) from rolling into another conversation with others. But hey, if it works - good deal.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    And he's able to completely seperate the 2? If someone at school starts talking about things that you guys talk about at home, it seems to me that it'd be hard for him to keep the 2 seperated. I definitely agree with what you're saying, but it seems like it'd be hard for a youngster to keep one conversation (with you at home) from rolling into another conversation with others. But hey, if it works - good deal.

I'd say so. He may be only 9 but his comprehension level is much higher then his age. IF he has had these conversations spill over, I've never heard about them

Top Bottom