Do you think Schools are going too far??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    yea, thats ridiculous, but a member here got a talking to from our res. director about spent brass... cuz its apparently a weapon. I wanna get a cartridge with a bullet, but no primer or powder and wear it as a necklace to see what they do. might be a good market for that as a 1A/2A issue.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Can the police break into a car when no crime has been committed? Having a spent shell casing is not a crime, nor evidence of a crime. It is just an apparent violation of the school's "policy". The police enforce the laws of the city and state, not directives of the school board. Time for the kid's parents to lawyer up, and sue the ever-lovin' ***** out of everyone involved.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think it would be lawyer time, and as much as I hate lawsuits, there comes a time when a person has to stand up and say "I am not going to take this anymore".

A spent shell?

How is that firearms or ammo? Brass and plastic.

I'd find an attorney and sue the hell out of them.

sounds like illegal search and seizure

Can the police break into a car when no crime has been committed? Having a spent shell casing is not a crime, nor evidence of a crime. It is just an apparent violation of the school's "policy". The police enforce the laws of the city and state, not directives of the school board. Time for the kid's parents to lawyer up, and sue the ever-lovin' ***** out of everyone involved.

Getting an atty for this is a waste of time as it won't be won.
    Most school policies in IN (here is Griffith's see page 28) http://griffithps.schoolwires.com/161620617155428550/lib/161620617155428550/GPS_Elem_Handbook.pdf

have some text in which the student is subject to searchs WITH or WITHOUT consent of any of the student's property so long as it is on school property. (ie. your school locker, your car *IF* it's on school parking lot, your book bag as you walk on school property, etc.)

I could not find where "ammo" was specifically talked about in the Griffith handbook but I know it's in there somewhere.

In any case ammo or parts of ammo (shell casing, the lead bullet BEFORE or AFTER fired, the wad of a spent SG shell, etc..) are all considered no-no items just like a cellphone, etc..

It's the nanny state en force and guess what they have at least 1 generation almost fully indoctrinated. :rolleyes:

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    The kid was a good student, and had enough credits to graduate already, but He was not allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony, they just mailed his diploma to him. And that Sucks, because he put 12 years of his life into school, and could not walk up in front of his Class and Family to get his diploma...because of a spent shotgun shell. And to answer another question, You hve to sign a release to allow the school to search your car at any time, or you are not allowed to drive to school !!!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Folks - NEVER forget what happened to INGunGuy's daughter. She got suspended from school in Jeffersonville due to a zero-tolerance policy. Her offense? Saying NO to drugs. The short version - kid hands her drugs (prescription that had been brought by another kid), she hands it back and says, "no thanks". Of course, teachers eventually find out about the drugs. So the dumb administrator throws the book at everyone who TOUCHED the drugs. Even Rachael - who handed it back and said NO.

Sadly the above sounds par for the course for the idiots that currently run our schools. What stinks is that there are plenty of good people there - they seem to be outnumbered or out-yelled by the idiots.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is some real BS! Now I had my own issues when I was younger and in High School. Though I was unfortunate to be in High School when the Columbine shootings happened and schools started cracking down. I just so happened to have some spend casing and BB ammo in my backpack after a weekend of camping and shooting with some friends/family over the weekend and didn't turn it upside down and empty it before tossing my books in and heading to class that Monday. And of course I was "randomly" checked that day. They wanted to expel me then but I was fortunate enough to have a mother in the Juvenal Justice System at a time and she put her foot down for not letting the school violate my rights. So instead I "lost" the right to have a backpack for the rest of the time I was in High School.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Maybe if schools would teach some marksmanship and firearms safety in schools their wouldn't be as many firearms accidents and foolishness with guns by kids and therefore not as much need for their BS policies. Do schools no longer have JROTC? When I was a freshman I was in JROTC and we would shoot Anschutz .22 rifles on the schools indoor range:dunno: Unfortunately nowadays educators would rather teach kids to fear guns and stay away from them than a healthy respect for them.... and this helps kids HOW??:dunno:

Would you be able to post the specific policy from the student handbook? I am very curious about exactly what it says.

freeclimber57

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    pardon my french but that is major bull****! a shot casing is no threat to any one. If it were one of my boys i would be at every school board meeting raiseing all kinds of hell

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    That was ridiculous. He didn't have live ammo or a gun to fire it from. He wasn't showing off with the spent casing in the halls. Ridiculous!

I understand bad things have happened at schools across the country, but at the same time some common sense needs to be used for each case.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Schools are going to far. I used to live in communist Illinois, I had taught my children the proper respect for a firearm since they were very young and they are very knowledgable of them. One year their school decides to have some local police officers stop buy and do a speech/lecture on firearm safety. Part of the lecture was them displaying parts of a handgun. Also note this was an active participation type of thing to where the children were allowed to ask and answer questions about parts of firearms. So my sons are answering the questions very well, using the term magazine instead of clips,which was unlike the other children brought special attention to them. They were both called into the principles office after the lecture. Low and behold the police officers that were running the lecture where in the office with the principle. They then proceeded to question my sons regarding how they were so knowledgable of firearms, to which my sons replied, my dad takes us shooting with him. I am guessing at this point they ran my name to make sure I was legal to own them, because in IL you need a foid card. They call my house. my day off and they ask me to come to the school for a meeting with the principle. I go in there and they start lecturing me on the dangers of firearms. I tell the principle and the police officers that it is my right to have firearms and that the state of Illinois had deemed me a safe enough of a person to own them. I further explained that I am a responsible owner and that I have a safe to secure my firearms in. I then got up, told my children let's go since it was close to the end of there school day.. I did tell the principle that I did not appreciate them questioning my children about such matters with out contact either their mother or I first and that neither of us the parents were present for the questioning. :xmad:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I encourage everyone to buy their children one of these belts:

AAAAAgo1cwkAAAAAAJ7xSA.jpg

421370865_9ca3e0c98d.jpg

3214155040_acde304b46_normal.jpg

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Schools are going to far. I used to live in communist Illinois, I had taught my children the proper respect for a firearm since they were very young and they are very knowledgable of them. One year their school decides to have some local police officers stop buy and do a speech/lecture on firearm safety. Part of the lecture was them displaying parts of a handgun. Also note this was an active participation type of thing to where the children were allowed to ask and answer questions about parts of firearms. So my sons are answering the questions very well, using the term magazine instead of clips,which was unlike the other children brought special attention to them. They were both called into the principles office after the lecture. Low and behold the police officers that were running the lecture where in the office with the principle. They then proceeded to question my sons regarding how they were so knowledgable of firearms, to which my sons replied, my dad takes us shooting with him. I am guessing at this point they ran my name to make sure I was legal to own them, because in IL you need a foid card. They call my house. my day off and they ask me to come to the school for a meeting with the principle. I go in there and they start lecturing me on the dangers of firearms. I tell the principle and the police officers that it is my right to have firearms and that the state of Illinois had deemed me a safe enough of a person to own them. I further explained that I am a responsible owner and that I have a safe to secure my firearms in. I then got up, told my children let's go since it was close to the end of there school day.. I did tell the principle that I did not appreciate them questioning my children about such matters with out contact either their mother or I first and that neither of us the parents were present for the questioning. :xmad:

A friend of mine had a similar situation with his son. His had a high school class where they had reading time and the kids were able to bring in books or magazines to read. The boy brought in a hunting magazine and while reading it the teacher was looking over his shoulder. He was sent to the principles office and subsequently my friend was called in for a meeting. After being lectured by the principle and teacher about how incredibly inappropriate it was my friend finally spoke up and tried to calm them and explain hunting is one of the many things, along with sports and chess, he and his son do together as part of their quality time and if more parents actually did that and took their role as parents seriously so many kids might not go down the wrong path. When they were threatening to suspend his boy and possibly, for whatever stupid reason get the law involved, he decided he had enough and told them, "The law is the law and your beliefs are you your beliefs, DON'T GET THE TWO CONFUSED. If you pursue this, I will be forced to get my attorney involved. Good day gentleman..." His son is an incredibly mature kid and in an effort to stay out of trouble he decided to bring reading material they approved of. His father didn't necessarily agree with that but supported his decision.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    A friend of mine had a similar situation with his son. His had a high school class where they had reading time and the kids were able to bring in books or magazines to read. The boy brought in a hunting magazine and while reading it the teacher was looking over his shoulder. He was sent to the principles office and subsequently my friend was called in for a meeting. After being lectured by the principle and teacher about how incredibly inappropriate it was my friend finally spoke up and tried to calm them and explain hunting is one of the many things, along with sports and chess, he and his son do together as part of their quality time and if more parents actually did that and took their role as parents seriously so many kids might not go down the wrong path. When they were threatening to suspend his boy and possibly, for whatever stupid reason get the law involved, he decided he had enough and told them, "The law is the law and your beliefs are you your beliefs, DON'T GET THE TWO CONFUSED. If you pursue this, I will be forced to get my attorney involved. Good day gentleman..." His son is an incredibly mature kid and in an effort to stay out of trouble he decided to bring reading material they approved of. His father didn't necessarily agree with that but supported his decision.

It's crazy what schools are doing now, I remember when I went to high school they had a 22 caliber range down in the sub basement for the ROTC people. I had seen over the years the turning away from the unknowing public regarding private legal use and ownership of firearms and how they wish to push their beliefs onto us. While on the other hand we do not forcibly push our beliefs of gun ownership onto them. I do educate when I am questioned but never push to those that do not wish to know or care to ask. God bless the founding fathers and their vision of the right to bear arms, and damn the ones looking to take that very right away from us.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sounds like it is time to start tossing spent casings into open windows of the administration's cars.

Me c u no read animal farm. ;)

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

pardon my french but that is major bull****! a shot casing is no threat to any one. If it were one of my boys i would be at every school board meeting raiseing all kinds of hell

It's not about the shot casing. It's not about ammo, it's not about the pocket knife, or the BB gun, or toys. It's about control and indoctorination to NOT question that control.

& the schools have already completed 1 generation of this type of learned almost. :faint:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The kid was a good student, and had enough credits to graduate already, but He was not allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony, they just mailed his diploma to him. And that Sucks, because he put 12 years of his life into school, and could not walk up in front of his Class and Family to get his diploma...because of a spent shotgun shell. And to answer another question, You hve to sign a release to allow the school to search your car at any time, or you are not allowed to drive to school !!!

This is the kind of thing that makes kids give up on society. A great deal of them do their best, but watch all of the better opportunities go to those who not only deserve them, but aren't appreciative. I'm glad he didn't allow himself to fall between the cracks, although the school didn't play any role in that.

It's my goal to run for the school board in my township once I'm done with school. The only way outcomes such as this will change is for someone with common sense to say, "NO!"

Top Bottom