Do you think Schools are going too far??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    The schools are outa control. I cannot type anymore my blood pressure is so high after reading this.:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I want my kids to do well in school, i really do, but it's really tough trying to instill in them to do well, while ignoring the bull **** that their teachers come off with. I have two kids in junior high now, and the attitude of the faculty there is just horrendous. Fortunately the youngest will be outta there after next year. I have had several occasions to speak with these lowlifes, and let's just say....they don't get to do much talking when I'm there, and they know exactly how I feel about the stupidity the try to force feed my kids.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    It's crazy what schools are doing now, I remember when I went to high school they had a 22 caliber range down in the sub basement for the ROTC people. I had seen over the years the turning away from the unknowing public regarding private legal use and ownership of firearms and how they wish to push their beliefs onto us. While on the other hand we do not forcibly push our beliefs of gun ownership onto them. I do educate when I am questioned but never push to those that do not wish to know or care to ask. God bless the founding fathers and their vision of the right to bear arms, and damn the ones looking to take that very right away from us.

Hello fellow cadet.

Shooting the 22 was one of the things we got to do when we went there in 8th grade. Hell one of the selling points they did to try and get you to join ROTC.

I am assuming that range is gone by now but in 95 when I graduated it will still operational I believe.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Hello fellow cadet.

Shooting the 22 was one of the things we got to do when we went there in 8th grade. Hell one of the selling points they did to try and get you to join ROTC.

I am assuming that range is gone by now but in 95 when I graduated it will still operational I believe.

Sad to say that the range is long gone my friend. Due to political correctness(incorrectness) .

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I have a 4 year old and I can't begin to imagine what high school will be like by the time he gets there...unless we can reverse this crazy trend!

Mark

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    It would be interesting to actually read the school's firearms policy. My bet is it does not say anything about a spent shotgun shell in a car.

It's interesting that 100 years ago or even 50 we didn't have any gun laws and we didn't have a gun " problem"
    We didn't have drug laws and we didn't have a drug problem
    We didn't have a wellfare system and we didn't have a poor problem
    I can go on but you get the point Im sure.
    Just my thoughts.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    What I think is amazing about this thread is that the high schools use to offer marksmanship classes back in the 1940's. My mother still has an award from Shortridge High School for best in her class with a .22 rifle. Now, if you even mention the word gun, you get expelled. They have a duty to protect our children, but you would think they would have the intelligence to judge each situation individually. :(

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Definitely too far. I have a problem with the policies prohibiting students from wearing jeans or a t-shirt. Kids get such a short time to be kids. Let them enjoy it; they'll be thrust into the real world all too soon.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    To far does not cover it! My daughter got accused of cheating on a test last Monday. When i found out I and I mean I called them not the other way around. I asked what the punishment was for so called cheating, and was told detention. Then when i asked for the proof of the of so called cheating i got this: well sir we don't have any we have to trust our teachers.:bs: So after fighting with them on the phone for 30 minutes it was reduced down to suspicion of academic dishonesty :dunno:. So do i think they go to far YES SIR!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Definitely too far. I have a problem with the policies prohibiting students from wearing jeans or a t-shirt. Kids get such a short time to be kids. Let them enjoy it; they'll be thrust into the real world all too soon.
    My son was told he couldn't wear his little league shirt to school......by the 400 lb. assistant principal who wears skin tight spandex pants EVERYDAY. HUGE WOMAN!!! Not an image I want my kids to have to look at everyday.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Ok, I'm going to offer a different perspective, then sit back with my flame suit on. But I think it bears saying anyway.

Both of my parents are retired school teachers. My father was a lifelong educator and 38 year administrator from elementary principal to junior high principal to assistant superintendent. I have had the unique opportunity to see both side of issues just like this one. I want to go on record right now as saying that if things happened exactly as has been posted in the many accounts of school wrongdoings, I agree that there were better ways these could have been handled. There are, however, two sides to each story and it's easy to jump on only one side in an internet forum.

What many people don't understand with regards to the several times aforementioned "Zero Tolerance" policies is that regardless of the outcome of whatever incident we may be discussing, the school and their officials will always be wrong. Think about it. Remember the recent Martinsville shooting? Did you hear what some of the parents who were interviewed by the various news agencies said? Comments like "they should have been looking at that kids Facebook page and known he was going to do something like this", and "this could have been prevented if the school had been more proactive", and "My kids should be safe at school, they should do more to protect them".

Things like this ^^^^ folks, is why there are the Zero Tolerance policies that none of us, me included, like. The schools HAVE to do some of these unpleasant things that we, again me included, feel is wrong and inconsistent with what our beliefs and morals are. If they don't, everyone is lining up to "sue the **** out of all of them" as has been stated repeatedly in this thread. If the school is sued as people want them to be, who pays for the damages? Whether you realize it or not, it's YOU, the taxpayer! Books become more expensive, sports become a "Pay to Play" proposition, extra-curricular classes and activities are shut down, all of this results in our kids getting the "bare minimum" only and none of the extras I want my sons to have access to. Do you see it? The schools are wrong regardless of what they do.

Hypothetical situation: Say the empty shotgun shell is noticed, but nothing is done about it. Then the kid the next day walks in and kills 3 students and a teacher. The SECOND the media, or other parents, or family of the victims finds out that the school knew about the empty shell, a poo storm rains down on the school, the administrators, the teachers, the board....everyone, for "not preventing this from happening when they possessed information that could have helped". Whereas the flip side of this scenario is exactly what the topic of the thread is about. The school was wrong for LOOKING for signs of impending tragedies to "prevent them from happening" as we want them to, but we are angry with them for it. Do you see? Wrong either way.

Again, please understand before you all light me up for my stance on this. I don't want my kids interrogated and strung up for having an empty shell in their vehicles. I think this is wrong like all of you do. But we, as a society MUST stop blaming schools, police, whoever, for things like school shootings and blame the shooter, perpetrator, wrongdoer, whoever is committing the crime. As long as we are quick to point fingers and blame, this is going to be the result. It isn't the school administrators and teachers at fault here, its ALL OF US.

Ok, if you made it through all of that, I thank you for reading it. I will don my favorite flame suit and endure what is about to happen!

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Hypothetical situation: Say the empty shotgun shell is noticed, but nothing is done about it. Then the kid the next day walks in and kills 3 students and a teacher.
    Using the empty shotgun shell?:rolleyes:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I see what your saying, but, what happens when the kid gets out of school? If all they have known is that "we are being looked after" and "there are rules against people doing bad things, so I'm safe" guess what happens, they become easy targets in the real world, and I think we have enough of those already. I'm not saying all kids are that dumb, but you would have to agree, that if it doesn't fly in the real world, it shouldn't be shoved down a kids throat in school. Schools SHOULD be vigilant about someone wishing to do harm, just like the rest of us, but zero tolerance is not the way to go about it. Let the crybabies cry, like you said, no matter what, that will always happen.

davek22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Don't even get me started! We live in such a knee-jerk society anymore that we have lost all common sense. I never knew of anyone who got killed from a spent shell. I guess I am very fortunate where (and when)I grew up and still live today. I am all for school saftey, but where does the nonsense end?

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Many of you have already heard that my wife and I live 3 blocks from the Middle School where the shooting took place a few weeks ago. Now THAT is a tragedy and in many cases feeds into why stuff like this happens.

Look, I understand how difficult it can be to make judgment calls once and a while. But stupid judgment calls like this? I'm thinking Mr Principal is trying to justify his existence and show others that he is "his job." Make a wave once and a while to tell the School Board that he's on it.

I think Mr. Principal was too proud to admit he made a mistake having the truck ransacked for nothing. Methinks Mr. Principal needs to get a life. :twocents:

BTW, I'm thinking some "friendly" cards & letters to the School Board from us could be in order?

Top Bottom