• Total voters

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It is not illegal to carry on college campus, these are college rules. The legislators could make a law securing staff and students from these rules but it is the college boards that need to wake up and smell the bacon.

I voted that every LTCH holder be allowed to carry on any campus. (The question was CC but I favor the choice to OC as well.)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If 18 year olds carrying were a problem of maturity the pages of the Indianapolis Star would be riddled with examples of 18 year olds with LTHC's using them in immature ways.

The mere fact that I can't remember a single example of an 18 year old with a LTHC that then commited a crime with a gun says all I need to know.

It's a non-issue.

I was 21 when my mom and I went down to the County Sheriff and got our first LTCH's after a road rage incident.

I carried at IUPUI every day after that. I was never aware of any school policy against it, I was never given a "student handbook", and I never signed anything.

I was never made. (Except by a friend, who had many of the same classes. One day she came up to me after class and gave me a pat on my piece, then opened her purse and showed me hers. Then we went shooting together. :cool:)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If 18 year olds carrying were a problem of maturity the pages of the Indianapolis Star would be riddled with examples of 18 year olds with LTHC's using them in immature ways.

The mere fact that I can't remember a single example of an 18 year old with a LTHC that then commited a crime with a gun says all I need to know.

It's a non-issue.

I was 21 when my mom and I went down to the County Sheriff and got our first LTCH's after a road rage incident.

I carried at IUPUI every day after that. I was never aware of any school policy against it, I was never given a "student handbook", and I never signed anything.

I was never made. (Except by a friend, who had many of the same classes. One day she came up to me after class and gave me a pat on my piece, then opened her purse and showed me hers. Then we went shooting together. :cool:)

EXACTLY!!! Difference is we get a handbook of student code and responsibility, except that it says:

14. Possession of any weapon or potential weapon on any university property contrary to
    law or university policy; possession or display of any firearm on university property,
    except in the course of an authorized activity.
    15. Sale of any firearms from university property or using university facilities, including
    through computer and telephone accounts; intentional possession of a dangerous
    article or substance as a potential weapon.
    And that is all, so not really sure there is a campus policy enumerated somewhere... :dunno:

ETA: It would be interesting to see the ages of people who have their LTCH's taken away, I'd be willing to wager more older people get it taken away :)

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    EXACTLY!!! Difference is we get a handbook of student code and responsibility, except that it says:

And that is all, so not really sure there is a campus policy enumerated somewhere... :dunno:

ETA: It would be interesting to see the ages of people who have their LTCH's taken away, I'd be willing to wager more older people get it taken away :)

Damn... a pen is a potential weapon, especially fountain pens...

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Damn... a pen is a potential weapon, especially fountain pens...

Exactly. I always found that wording especially broad, and just figured that they left it so broad so they can arbitrarily decide what is a weapon when the need arises :dunno: :noway:

And what about "intentional"? Oops, I forgot there was an AR15 on my back, my bad :D

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Exactly. I always found that wording especially broad, and just figured that they left it so broad so they can arbitrarily decide what is a weapon when the need arises :dunno: :noway:

And what about "intentional"? Oops, I forgot there was an AR15 on my back, my bad :D

I'd carry an ar-15 and say "what, it's pop-art"

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    If there is a difference it is in the heads of lawmakers. To me it's no different than carrying at a mall, Wal*mart, or Texas Road House.

The argument I always hear is that kids in college are too young and reckless to be carrying firearms. Opponents of concealed carry on campus argue that with the increased presence of alcohol on campus that there will be some sort of drunken shooting rage by every legal handgun carrier. Of course most of the reasons they list are ridiculous, most just see blurbs in the news that demonize guns. They can't possibly see how making areas gun free zones makes it easier for criminals to prey upon victims. SCCC has some great info if any of you want something to read.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    The argument I always hear is that kids in college are too young and reckless to be carrying firearms. Opponents of concealed carry on campus argue that with the increased presence of alcohol on campus that there will be some sort of drunken shooting rage by every legal handgun carrier. Of course most of the reasons they list are ridiculous, most just see blurbs in the news that demonize guns. They can't possibly see how making areas gun free zones makes it easier for criminals to prey upon victims. SCCC has some great info if any of you want something to read.
    So ban alcohol then...:D

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)

There is one huge flaw in that argument. Most colleges in Indiana are dry campuses. I never drink on campus at ball state. When I went to the bars I did or house parties but they are off campus. But also, when I wasn't drinking and I was at the bars, house parties or around the bars guess what, I carried legally. The getting drunk argument has no merit considering 99% of kids aren't drunk during class. And when they do drink 9 times out of 10 its off campus where they are allowed to carry anyways.

The only time I see this argument working is when freshmen who live in the dorms sneak in alcohol, but there in lies the fatal flaw because they are already breaking the rules anyways as well as the law. Who is to say if they will sneak in alcohol and break the rule they wouldn't break the rules and carry. The only time this would matter is if a 21 year old who was allowed to have alcohol in the dorms would carry. But honestly how many 21 year olds live in the dorms.

Further, at age 21 I can sit in BW's get drunk off my ass and be packing the whole time and never break any laws (although I never would and no one should carry when they drunk more than one). So this argument lacks any sort of merit.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I just want to point out staff could carry at IU Bloomington up until the mid 90's, when President Brand (spit) changed the policy. I think students with LTCH'es could too, but don't quote me on that. They could definitely have a long gun in their room because we had an active shooting sports program. So, this WAS the case until it was arbitrarily changed by liberal college president fiat. There were no incidents that I'm aware of that precipitated the change. Just as there were no safety incidents that precipitated the kicking of the gun club off campus.

So, this is a no brainer. Yes, if you have a LTCH you should be able to carry, period.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    This might be a little OT...

I was a member of the IU Skeet and Trap Team at the time the IU Skeet and Trap club closed. It was a vibrant club, with over 85 public members. We shot Skeet and Trap every Tuesday and Thursday night, and on Sunday afternoons. IU also had a skeet and trap team, and we'd compete at various clubs in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois against other school teams. Once a year we'd travel to Texas and compete in collegiate skeet and trap nationals.

When I was in college, I lived 35-miles away from campus and was a first-generation low income college student, a single parent, and was sort of a redneck from the "hills" near Spencer. I had no social life, and nothing in common with the other students. After the first semester at IU had decided the whole college "experience" just wasn't for me. I discovered the range and everything changed... I owe the club my education.

Then, after I was shooting with the team for a few years, Brand and some other IU administrators destroyed the club in 6 short months. They claimed that the club was too close to a jogging track, but after the club closed the lands were quickly converted for use by the golf course. The IU skeet and trap team was disbanded... it was like loosing family.

Last edited:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I think we saw the true colors of academia about a month ago. Blue. Liberal academia has taken over our colleges. With that, they're converting tomorrow's leaders to their way of thinking.
    Indiana - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times
    I'd rather deal with the chance of it being 'my last class' at a particular university, than take the chance of it being 'my last class' anywhere. Better expelled than interred.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I'd rather deal with the chance of it being 'my last class' at a particular university, than take the chance of it being 'my last class' anywhere. Better expelled than interred.

I agree with this statement completely.

But it's a shame that gun control is associated with liberalism. Many voters (me included) don't fit so neatly on one side or the other, and I think both the Republicans and the Dems have some good ideas.

Honestly, I get tired of all the democrat-bashing on this site. I know plenty of liberals who are pro-gun and some democrat politicians, including Rep. Vern Tincher, are pro-gun. I think we should be looking at the positions the various candidates take on issues important to us before looking at political affiliation.

Big Naughty

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Hendricks County
    yes, kind of

i do support it, but only if the college allows it. i do not think it should be forced upon them. now if it's state funded college that is a different story. i'm referring to private institutions. i do not want to give the government anymore say in what we do. and having them force private colleges and businesses to allow people to ccw is just as wrong as cities like Chicago saying we can't ccw.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    i do support it, but only if the college allows it. i do not think it should be forced upon them. now if it's state funded college that is a different story. i'm referring to private institutions. i do not want to give the government anymore say in what we do. and having them force private colleges and businesses to allow people to ccw is just as wrong as cities like Chicago saying we can't ccw.

Fine, but make sure they are fully liable both ways. If they permit carry they may be vulnerable should some LTCH holder behave in a negligent and/or criminal manner and cause injury or death. However, they should be equally liable if they forbid carry and another Virginia Tech happens. They can choose which they feel is the lesser risk, but don't shield them from one while leaving the other as an excuse to forbid carry.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Most of the major Colleges in Indiana ARE state funded. There, in lies the problem.

Just about any college anywhere receives significant state/federal money. Most college students receive some grant or student loan money. A large portion of the various departments' funding comes from grants the Professors receive (including the equipment--you buy a Sequencer for the grant experiment and then it's available for the student lab, that sort of thing).

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hey guys! New member from Central Indiana going to college. I go to a private college and yes, they get a lot of funding from the state, so the state vs. private college argument has no standing. Also, as to immaturity... that is the most ridiculous/idiotic argument I hear out of older people. What magic number age do people have to be to be "mature" enough to carry? Any answers? Also, if these immature people break the law, then the permit will be gone and they will be done carrying legally... don't punish younger folks before they even do anything.

I consider gun violence like the school shootings a social problem that lazy people who actually should have done something to help the kids try to pawn off as a problem with guns. I'm pretty sure 100% of these shootings had kids involved that had warning signs before that people either didn't try to help right away or didn't say anything. IT'S A SOCIETAL PROBLEM! I'm completely for gun carrying on campuses just b/c there is no non-emotional/statistic-backed evidence that says it is a problem otherwise. All of these stupid gun laws came to fruition during emotional times... and yes, I will bash the democratic party b/c they played on these fears like professional politicians would. As a security officer that answers calls from the surrounding community's people and works alone a lot, I am upset that I cannot carry for my protection where I've had a few instances that I should have been doing so.

Top Bottom