Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I can tell one reason why carry on campus is not considered the same. How many immature people are walking around on the campus? A bunch. Many people on college campuses do not behave in a mature, responsible fashion, and it is hard for people to get the heads around letting people in such an enviroment carry guns.

I am not saying I agree with the above position but it one that is present on college campuses. For the record I voted with being allowed to carry on college campuses.

Also think about it in this perspective. You are the professor in a lecture hall class that is so large you cannot possible know all of your students. Do you want someone sitting in the class that you do not know with a gun. School shootings being as common as they are. I do not know if this person is sane or not. Do I want my classroom being a situation where it is going to come down to a quick draw contest? Of course a shooting could happen anyday at anytime. But as things stand now if I see a gun big warning sign, and action should be taken immediately. Let everyone carry guns and now things are different.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I personally don't think that all young whipper snappers have the maturity that should allow them to freely carry CCW amongst other young whipper snappers.

I have only grown to to believe this as I personally have become more mature.

Of course I also don't believe that the youngins should be able to ride motorcycles either, but with that they are risking more of there own lifes.

I do believe that teachers that are willing to protect students should be allowed to carry. I think specific training related to gun retention and group control should be required though.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I personally don't think that all young whipper snappers have the maturity that should allow them to freely carry CCW amongst other young whipper snappers.

I have only grown to to believe this as I personally have become more mature.

Of course I also don't believe that the youngins should be able to ride motorcycles either, but with that they are risking more of there own lifes.

I do believe that teachers that are willing to protect students should be allowed to carry. I think specific training related to gun retention and group control should be required though.

Do you think that your life if worth more than mine? Do you think that you have more of an inalienable right to self defense based solely on the fact that you are older than I? How many mass shootings happen in other businesses in your industry, because we don't have a very good track record.

The students that you feel are so immature are the same ones who aren't going to go through the process to get a LTCH and firearm most likely. Sorry, but I get sick and tired of people saying that all college aged people are immature, like they're all-knowing and that anyone else in another age group is instantly better based solely on age. Their are morons and irresponsible people in any age group. It's like an Anti's argument, and I'm sick of it. You have the right to carry, and to take that away before anything happens and without a reason to restrict a singular person based solely on age, well, quite simply, that's ********.

Should an elderly person be stripped of their second amendment rights? I mean, they're most like ly going to get senile and kill people with the gun.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Do you think that your life if worth more than mine? Do you think that you have more of an inalienable right to self defense based solely on the fact that you are older than I? How many mass shootings happen in other businesses in your industry, because we don't have a very good track record.

The students that you feel are so immature are the same ones who aren't going to go through the process to get a LTCH and firearm most likely. Sorry, but I get sick and tired of people saying that all college aged people are immature, like they're all-knowing and that anyone else in another age group is instantly better based solely on age. Their are morons and irresponsible people in any age group. It's like an Anti's argument, and I'm sick of it. You have the right to carry, and to take that away before anything happens and without a reason to restrict a singular person based solely on age, well, quite simply, that's ********.

Should an elderly person be stripped of their second amendment rights? I mean, they're most like ly going to get senile and kill people with the gun.

Thanks Nate. You beat me to it...

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

To answer a previous question, no this young whipper snapper didn't shoot her.

I had a conversation with an older gentleman that wouldn't do a transfer for an 18 year old for an AR. He told me that he didn't feel that the 18 year old should have this gun because of his maturity level. I asked why the 18 year old should be allowed to sign a contract with the US government to serve in an military and possibly die if they didn't possess the necessary decision making skills to own an AR. The conversation stopped and we finished the transfer. He didn't get any more of my business after that.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I know I should have just kept my mouth shut but you did ask what I thought and thats why I said it.

Do you think that your life if worth more than mine?
    No I feel just the opposite. I would find that someone that is younger than myself's life is generally worth more than my own.

Do you think that you have more of an inalienable right to self defense based solely on the fact that you are older than I?
    In terms of rights, no I do not believe that I have more of a right to self defense based on age. Unless of course your age is younger than 18, then yes I have more of a right to at least carry a handgun. This is law which is given as a constitutional right.

How many mass shootings happen in other businesses in your industry, because we don't have a very good track record.
    This I don't really see as being relevant to the question at hand, but I do not really know the numbers. There are mass killings in every aspect of society and there always will be.

The students that you feel are so immature are the same ones who aren't going to go through the process to get a LTCH and firearm most likely.
    I am not sure that I actually agree with this. Immaturity follows immaturity. What I mean by this is that, once it becomes the easy thing to do, it can become the popular thing to do. This is where the problem would come in.

Sorry, but I get sick and tired of people saying that all college aged people are immature, like they're all-knowing and that anyone else in another age group is instantly better based solely on age.
    I don't believe that ALL college aged people are immature. I do believe that per capita, there are more immature people as a group in schools than in the general population.
    Their are morons and irresponsible people in any age group.
    Agreed, no question about it.

It's like an Anti's argument, and I'm sick of it.
    It is not an Anti argument, it is an opinion based on observation and experience.

You have the right to carry, and to take that away before anything happens and without a reason to restrict a singular person based solely on age, well, quite simply, that's ********.

Yes you have the right to carry given as a matter of law in this country. To take that right away would not based on no reason. I do not agree that rights should NOT be restricted because of age. We do that with a lot of law given rights. Right to have the opportunity to drive. Right to consume alcohol, Right to vote etc. I do not really think age is the defining factor that is why I have over used the word maturity.

Should an elderly person be stripped of their second amendment rights? I mean, they're most likely going to get senile and kill people with the gun.

Yes I would agree. An elderly person that shows signs of certain diseases should not be allowed access to firearms of any type. A lot of these diseases also eliminate maturity in someones mind.

Peer pressure is one of the strongest forces on the human mind. This is true in ALL areas of society. Are there students that show a level of maturity that would exceed mine, I am sure there is, no doubt. I still do stupid things that I look back on and wonder why. I personally have found that as I have matured/become older/had more experiences, whatever you want to call it, my tendencies to follow peer pressure is much less than when I was in college.

Sorry if you don't like it but this is my opinion. You asked.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    To answer a previous question, no this young whipper snapper didn't shoot her.

I had a conversation with an older gentleman that wouldn't do a transfer for an 18 year old for an AR. He told me that he didn't feel that the 18 year old should have this gun because of his maturity level. I asked why the 18 year old should be allowed to sign a contract with the US government to serve in an military and possibly die if they didn't possess the necessary decision making skills to own an AR. The conversation stopped and we finished the transfer. He didn't get any more of my business after that.

I don't particularly feel an AR or a type of gun is the question here. It is a question of allowing guns to be carried on school campuses. Personally I believe it is a matter of maturity, as how it relates to group dynamics. 18 year olds that make the decision to fight and possibly die for our country shows great maturity and different levels. These young people have a different group dynamic however when they are together than young people that are attending most schools campuses.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I have mixed feelings. Yes, walking around college campus is pretty much like walking around a city street. It would be nice to have the ability to carry a handgun for protection.

On the other hand, emotions are a big element in an academic setting. This was the case in many campus violence incidences in recent history. Put yourself in the position of a faculty member. You just posted final grades and a student needed to pass your class or get kicked out of the university. He bombs the final exam and receives an "F" for the course. I would like to think he doesn't have quick access to a weapon. Yes, I know I will hear the argument of maturity or unstable individuals. But if they don't have the ability to act without thinking, there may be fewer tragedies.

I have been in situations where my students have been upset because they didn't pass an assignment. If someone can get to the point of crying with that, I would hate to see him face to face if I had to give him an "F".

I guess it's one of those situations where I would like the privilege, but don't want everyone around me to have the same privilege. So I guess I can do without.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I have mixed feelings. Yes, walking around college campus is pretty much like walking around a city street. It would be nice to have the ability to carry a handgun for protection.

On the other hand, emotions are a big element in an academic setting. This was the case in many campus violence incidences in recent history. Put yourself in the position of a faculty member. You just posted final grades and a student needed to pass your class or get kicked out of the university. He bombs the final exam and receives an "F" for the course. I would like to think he doesn't have quick access to a weapon. Yes, I know I will hear the argument of maturity or unstable individuals. But if they don't have the ability to act without thinking, there may be fewer tragedies.

I have been in situations where my students have been upset because they didn't pass an assignment. If someone can get to the point of crying with that, I would hate to see him face to face if I had to give him an "F".

I guess it's one of those situations where I would like the privilege, but don't want everyone around me to have the same privilege. So I guess I can do without.

If someone is that unstable, what stops them from bringing the gun onto campus anyway? Places where people have been shot on campus were gun-free zones already, and I think we saw how effective those are.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I can tell one reason why carry on campus is not considered the same. How many immature people are walking around on the campus? A bunch. Many people on college campuses do not behave in a mature, responsible fashion, and it is hard for people to get the heads around letting people in such an enviroment carry guns.

I am not saying I agree with the above position but it one that is present on college campuses. For the record I voted with being allowed to carry on college campuses.

Also think about it in this perspective. You are the professor in a lecture hall class that is so large you cannot possible know all of your students. Do you want someone sitting in the class that you do not know with a gun. School shootings being as common as they are. I do not know if this person is sane or not. Do I want my classroom being a situation where it is going to come down to a quick draw contest? Of course a shooting could happen anyday at anytime. But as things stand now if I see a gun big warning sign, and action should be taken immediately. Let everyone carry guns and now things are different.

How many immature people are walking around off campus? And how many of them are over college age? Rights depend only on being human and alive. Privileges are granted by "benevolent" government based on arbitrary criteria, and sorry, but this sounds much like the "arguments over parking spaces-blood running in the streets" argument. "Preventative law enforcement"? No thanks. Just punish the guilty when they commit crimes.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    How many immature people are walking around off campus? And how many of them are over college age? Rights depend only on being human and alive. Privileges are granted by "benevolent" government based on arbitrary criteria, and sorry, but this sounds much like the "arguments over parking spaces-blood running in the streets" argument. "Preventative law enforcement"? No thanks. Just punish the guilty when they commit crimes.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

:+1:
    That requires a thought process that many lack.
    They feel they are coming at it from a common sense perspective when all they are really doing is falling victim to their feelings instead of logical thought. Our society teaches it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think that any adult who hasn't been adjudicated insane should be "allowed" to carry guns anywhere they want, with the possible exception of prisons and jails.

All of the "what ifs" don't really make much sense. If someone plans to harm you or someone else, a rule prohibiting them from carrying a gun will have zero effect on their actions. The only people who obey rules are the people who don't really need rules.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    Of course I support it. And further along those lines "I know a guy" that brought his Kel-Tec with him in the side of his jacket to all of his classes.

If going to school puts you in harms way you have a right to protect yourself despite what some idiot legislator says. What we really need is someone carrying illegally when a campus shooting breaks out and for the student to put him down immediately. And then to top it off the local prosecutor tries to convict the student of breaking the law. I think the public outcry from this would get the student off and make people start reevaluating this pointless law.

I mean I am an adult, I furthering my education, I can carry in public but for some reason I cannot carry around my peers on campus. I had a law professor carry every day of class. Was he allowed to? No. He did not care, he said if they want to "throw the ****" over it he would gladly join in the fight. He retired last year and for 20 years no one said a thing to him about it. He was, however, disbarred for carrying in the Indiana Supreme Court.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom