• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Study: Spanking Kids Leads to More Aggressive Behavior - Yahoo! News

What do you all believe? Believe in spanking your kids or giving them time outs? I just saw this on yahoo, and it got me curious.
    My dad always took time out to spank my brothers and I. Not "beat the crap" outta us spanking, but you know, spanking. And I do know that Andy Taylor believed in taking Opie behind the woodshed to spank him. So me, not having kids yet, I don't know what I believe.

What about you guys?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Study: Spanking Kids Leads to More Aggressive Behavior - Yahoo! News

What do you all believe? Believe in spanking your kids or giving them time outs? I just saw this on yahoo, and it got me curious.
    My dad always took time out to spank my brothers and I. Not "beat the crap" outta us spanking, but you know, spanking. And I do know that Andy Taylor believed in taking Opie behind the woodshed to spank him. So me, not having kids yet, I don't know what I believe.

What about you guys?

I have a 5 year old and he's never done anything bad enough for me to warrant laying a hand on him, but if he did I wouldn't hesitate.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I spank my children, when it is necessary! Now that they are older, I try to talk to them more to remind them of correct behavior, but if a spanking is necessary, I will certainly do it. I don't spank them because I'm mean, but because I love them.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I spanked mine. More when they were 2 to 4 years old. I have a 6 year old that has not been spanked in a long time and minds very well.

I have a 4 year old that gets spanked less than when he was 3 but still have to bring him down a notch everyone in a while.

My kids will be a productive part of society or I will beat them to death.:D

You have to evolve with your kids though. At times spankings dont bother them. When it gets to that point you have to start throwing there prized toys away.(notice I didnt say take it away from them?) ask my wife how well that works.:rolleyes:

My 6 year old gets it and doesnt want to disappoint me or get his toys thrown away.:D

My 4 year old still pushed the edges once in a while.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm glad of all the responses. I know I'd do the exact samething when my wife and I have kids. I just think if you don't spank them, there would be more of a chance of law breaking and other sorts of trouble in the future for them.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've never spanked my son (who is 6). Timeout or the loss of a toy or privilege has worked so far. I imagine the same techniques will be used for my 5-month old twins as well.

When I was a child, I was only spanked a few times. And, I did deserve it each time. It was always for something really big.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I'm glad of all the responses. I know I'd do the exact samething when my wife and I have kids. I just think if you don't spank them, there would be more of a chance of law breaking and other sorts of trouble in the future for them.

Your an intelligent human start off lite and keep amping it up until the punishment works. Every kid is different, heck my two boys are different in the way that they accept punishment.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Not sure I believe in spanking children. I don't have any though, so at the moment it's purely theoretical.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I had 2 boys & spanked them maybe 2 times each to memory & that was 1 smack on fanny .I found that alternative punishments worked better as they got older (grounding from their favorite thing at the time ) & it turned out they were more intimidated by my ANGRY voice than anything is what they tell me now (my kids are 19 & 18 now).They also remember the time I stubbed my toes on thier bowling bags that I told them to move a couple of times that resulted in 2 flying bowling bags into the living room followed by me saying "PUT EM UP NOW!!!!". Both my kids turned out great one is going to AII in chicago & the other has been accepted into IU in the fall.I have never had to worry about them doing drugs ,drinking alcohol or even smoking because I set an example as to not indulge in those activities when raising my kids& taught them right from wrong

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Define spanking. Are we talking a swat on the butt that says hey you better straighten up? Or are we talking turned over the knee and spanked repeatedly?

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Yes yes I would spank my kids if I had any. It worked for me, and my brother. Its not a threatening tactic though, strictly punishment. I believe as long as children understand it is out of love(punishment) and not anger or fun(abuse) then it works. I understood I was being spanked because my parents were correcting my behavior. Perhaps other kids weren't so smart .... or are and now see it as a chance to get sympathy and attention for being "abused" or "hurt" .

Most kids these days spank their parents however.....

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    We don't spank our son (19 months) at this point. We've been able to get the point across with time-outs so far.

My strategy thus far is to make sure he knows we love him, and because of that it makes him very upset when we let him know that we're unhappy with his actions. Time-outs and a stern "No" do the job just fine.

The problem is that this approach takes a LOT of time and work! Time-outs right now are lasting 90 seconds, and you have to stand there the whole time so he doesn't crawl away. But the hardest part is showing him enough love and attention to make these punishments effective.

So overall, I think constant spankings are both a cause and a symptom of lazy parenting.

Just my :twocents:! I'm not bashing anybody who responsibly and properly uses spankings, but I think most of us would agree that if you have to do it often, you're doing something wrong.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Define spanking. Are we talking a swat on the butt that says hey you better straighten up? Or are we talking turned over the knee and spanked repeatedly?

I would think the "method" would be up to you. Over the knee may be more comfortable for the parent. But spanked repeatedly? I'd think the "act" would have to really deserve that type of punishment. Again, I'm not talking about beating the crap outta your kid. Growing up, the harshest punishment my brothers and I ever got was my dad's belt on the butt. Never hard enough to bruise or anything like that, but definite red spot. I remember 2 incidents where I got that punishment. Did I deserve it? Yes, but I still deny doing it to this day :D

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Another thought: The article attempts to show a causal relationship between the higher rate of spanking and aggressive behavior. It's equally possible that poor parenting is the cause of the aggressive behavior and the higher rate of spankings was just a symptom of the poor parenting.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes, my wife and I spank our son, he is a 2-1/2yo. testing his limits. When he begins to do something wrong, we tell him no and the reason why. If he go ahead and does it, he gets a stern warning, and finally if he does it and knows it is in direct disobedience to us, then that merits spanking. And any spanking is always followed by a talk about why I did it, (usually for not obeying us/ directly defying us) and make him give me a hug and kiss and tell him that I love him, and that I dislike doing it, and it dissapoints me. In the end, he realizes how much he had dissapointed us, and that usually hurts his feelings and leaves more of a lasting impression than the physical pain of the spanking.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My wife and I don't have children yet.

But when we do, spanking will just be one "tool in the shed" to accomplish the obedience that which we desire.

If non-corporal punishments work... Excellent.

We were both spanked as children... Well, I was. To hear her tell it, she might've beeb spanked ONCE in her childhood. For me, there were times when I feel I was spanked as a punishment when the problem didn't warrant it...but other times when I probably should've been spanked and I wasn't.

-J-

Top Bottom