Do you register your new firearms with the manufacturer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    All mine are private sale, new and used. What the government doesn't know what hurt them. I won't register a thing.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Never have, never will. I had a problem with a new shotgun where the choke tube key was missing from the box. I just called them and they mailed me one, even though I had not filled out the card. IF, a firearm proves defective, your store receipt will be enough.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I don't think it would track your firearm. That said, if they day comes to take them, license holders will be one of the first places they visit.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I ALWAYS register a new firearm with the manufacture for the warranty alone. It has saved me hundreds in repairs that the manufacture paid for rather than me paying for them because i "didn't want a paper trail".

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The State of Indiana is a implied warranty state. Meaning you don't have to send the warranty card to receive warranty service. A call to the manufacturer will tell you if the gun is recalled.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    This is a good question. I'm guessing that if/when the gov decided to collect our toys, gun manufactures records would be open to them.

If it ever came to that, I'm quite sure the gun manufacturers would fight turning their records over to the government tooth and nail. Their lawyers would intervene, not to mention the legal support coming from the NRA.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Nope. On the ones I've bought new, I keep all the paperwork that comes with it as well as the original receipt and a copy. I have scanned the warranty cards and filled them in with the date of purchase and gun's info. Electronic file is made with pictures and the gun's info.

How would your LICENSE To Carry (a) Handgun be a method by which to track your firearms?

Best I can come up with is that they'd have reason to believe that you own firearms. I know that not everyone that has an LTCH owns. With private sales still being okay, even registering the warranty information doesn't really give much. I know that I've bought guns that people said were "registered with the manufacturer" and been told I could contact them if anything needed work...because they'd want to contact the manufacturer and let them know they sold it.

Some pretty paranoid people out there, imo.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    The couple companys that I've had to call didn't ask a thing about if I registered it or not. Most just need the sales receipt if anything. The warranty cards are just to get information on their buyers to help advertise or so they say, but I'm all ready buying their products so I don't think they need my info.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Turn them in it doesn't matter. If the government decides to collect the info and use it it would be worthless. Gov at door: "We see you have guns as per this paperwork." You:"I sold them all in compliance with state law when I needed the money due to your p*** poor handling of our economy. BTW, thanks for that." Close door.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    I registerd my SIG 238 and I am actually happy I did.
    When you register with SIG, they send you special offers.
    I got 3 7 rd. mags for $99.
    Every once in a while, I get other offers.
    I thought it was well worth it.

I registered the P250c I bought just after Christmas with SIG, and received the code for 20% off any accessories. Called a few days later to order extra magazines, rep notified me they were not honoring the discount code for magazines due to demand.

Still bought three magazines, thought I best get them while I can - and they were still less than what they were going for at the 1500 (of course).

Top Bottom