• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    E5ranger, you should do a ride along with IMPD some time and you'll see that they use their lights 1% of the time yet are taking runs 90% of the time. Mostly for 3 reasons, 1 not to alert the bad guys that they're coming (anything in-progress) , 2, because people act completely ridiculous when someone turns their emergency lights on and 3 because given the 911 call they can't. True story: An Indianapolis police officer received 2 complaints in the same day regarding the same run. A lady dialed 911 and left the phone off the receiver...an incomplete 911 call goes out with no further information, the cop gets on the interstate and does 80mph from the south split to the emerson exit. While exiting a guy in an explorer cuts hard right and slams on the breaks effectively blocking the exit onto emerson, gets out of the car and yells at the cop, "you are going to fast and i need your badge number" the cop says "im on a run...my badge number is this....get the **** out of my way". when the cop gets to the ladies house he finds the elderly female bludgeoned to death on the ground. Her daughter arrives and jumps on the cops back screaming that he didn't get there fast enough. Both daughter and douche-bag complain on the cop. One says he was going to fast, the other said to slow.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    E5ranger, you should do a ride along with IMPD some time and you'll see that they use their lights 1% of the time yet are taking runs 90% of the time. Mostly for 3 reasons, 1 not to alert the bad guys that they're coming (anything in-progress) , 2, because people act completely ridiculous when someone turns their emergency lights on and 3 because given the 911 call they can't. True story: An Indianapolis police officer received 2 complaints in the same day regarding the same run. A lady dialed 911 and left the phone off the receiver...an incomplete 911 call goes out with no further information, the cop gets on the interstate and does 80mph from the south split to the emerson exit. While exiting a guy in an explorer cuts hard right and slams on the breaks effectively blocking the exit onto emerson, gets out of the car and yells at the cop, "you are going to fast and i need your badge number" the cop says "im on a run...my badge number is this....get the **** out of my way". when the cop gets to the ladies house he finds the elderly female bludgeoned to death on the ground. Her daughter arrives and jumps on the cops back screaming that he didn't get there fast enough. Both daughter and douche-bag complain on the cop. One says he was going to fast, the other said to slow.

And what was his excuse for not running lights + siren?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    As long as the volunteer wasn't endangering anyone with his driving, I agree.

People are endangered every time you take the wheel. Speed is a factor but not the only factor. Driving is dangerous.

The volly would be a real scum bag for putting the police in a position of writing the ticket, much less endangering other citizens.

Does volunteer firefighting come with a high speed driving course for there flat bed 84 ford F-350?

Yeah, because writing tickets isn't discretionary. :rolleyes:

That's "their" flat bed...and I hope that anyone who drives a fire truck receives at least some training about how to drive a big, heavy vehicle safety with flashing lights.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Okay, here it is: :hijack:. Generic LE EVO.

PRIORITIZATION OF CALLS FOR LE SERVICE

Calls for service received by the Communications Center shall be assigned a priority category. The priority assigned each call shall be based upon the urgency of the incident reported, with the highest priority given to life-threatening or potentially life threatening situations. Calls shall be categorized and dispatched according to the following priorities:

A. Priority 1:
    Those calls for service that involve life threatening or potentially life threatening situations are Priority 1 calls. The dispatch of an officer or officers is urgent. If sufficient manpower is unavailable for response, the Emergency Communications Operator (ECO) may call an officer en route to or already on the scene of a call with lesser priority to respond. Examples of Priority 1 calls include but are not limited to; life-threatening medical calls, personal injury crashes, crashes with unknown injuries, officer(s) in need of urgent or emergency assistance, shootings, stabbings, violent domestic dispute calls, citizens' report of an in-progress crime against a person etc. Officers responding to Priority 1 calls may respond in an urgent or Code 3 mode or a combination of both.

B. Priority 2:
    Calls for service which may require an element of surprise to apprehend a perpetrator or require a shortened response time are Priority 2 calls. Such calls include; intrusion or panic alarms, residential alarms or bank alarms when the business is normally open, or reports of felony property crimes in progress. Officers may respond to Priority 2 calls in an emergency (Code 3) or urgent mode, or a combination of both.

C. Priority 3:
    All other routine calls for service which require a timely, but non-emergency response are Priority 3 calls. Examples of Priority 3 calls include but are not limited to; reports of past tense incidents where a preliminary investigation is required and a suspect is no longer present, first-aid calls which do not involve life-threatening circumstances, property damage vehicular crashes, person(s) in custody who are not combative. Officers shall respond to Priority 3 calls in a routine mode.

D. Priority 4:
    Calls for service which are of such nature that they may be taken when the area car is available. Priority 4 calls include but are not limited to animal complaints, parking problems which pose no traffic hazard, etc. Officers will respond to Priority 4 calls in a routine mode.

Police vehicles responding to calls will be operated in either a routine, urgent or emergency mode. These modes are defined as:

Routine - Non-life threatening or property damage producing incidents. (i.e.shoplifting incidents, criminal investigation reports: Not in progress), loud noise or disturbance calls, requests for service and other non-emergency calls. Routine responses involve no use of either emergency lights or siren. When an officer is operating in a routine mode, he/she shall obey all laws and ordinances pertaining to motor vehicle operations.

Urgent - Immediate response, though there is no imminent threat to life or property. Emergency lights/siren may be used intermittently at the officer's discretion (i.e. property damage accident with roadway blocked). Urgent responses involve the use of emergency lights.

Emergency (code 3) - An emergency situation exists, and there is an immediate threat to a person or property. Officer should respond with emergency lights and siren. When operating in or responding to an emergency assignment the following guidelines shall be adhered to. Code 3 responses involve the use of emergency lights and siren. Emergency lights should be used at all times while responding to an emergency assignment.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

done ride alongs. thats when i realized there was too much down time for me to go into that career (just one reason).

the story you tell is amazing. i cant believe someone would block ANYONE on the road to get out and cause a confrontation, especialy a police officer on or off duty. thats just asking for trouble. i dont go into a bar and punch the biggest guy in the face, now if he comes and punches me and im still awake, then i crack his knee cap and watch him cry like a baby.
    the guy should have went to jail in my opinion, if for not impeading the officer, at least for being reckless with a motor vehicle.

i still doubt the officer would have responded in time anyways, but im certainly not justifying the mans actions. but this is a bad world, and sometimes bad things will happen, and you cant save them all. sad story

also, i think people misunderstood me earlier. i wasnt saying that i dont like volunteer firefighters. i grew up in a rural community where they are a huge part of the community and everyone knew all of them. i grew up wanting to be one, until shooting and blowing s*** up became more appealing to me and i joined the Army, lol.
    I have mad respect for these guys. my comment was only addressing the ones who do it for the wrong reasons, and they ARE common, whether people admit it or not, i grew up with some, and they werent trying to hide their motives. but i know they are the minority. plus, in a farm community there isnt much else to do for fun except tip cows :)
    it sure is fun

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My guess is if a volunteer is driving with blue lights for a legitimate call, any leo that sees him will already have heard the call and know it's a legit run. If there has been total radio silence regarding fire/ems and he sees a lone guy running blue lights, I think it would alert him a little.

Neezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    i know volunteer firefighters are very anxious to get to the call, but i have seen some of them driving out of control cuz they were in a hurry. right or wrong, i get out of their way to encourage them to drive safe and not like a reckless jerk. i think they sometimes forget they are not police officers nor are they driving a firetruck

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Red strobe = pull over.

Blue strobe, private vehicle = request for the right of way; good idea to grant it because someone is likely in trouble. Up to you, though.

Amber light = caution. Again, you do not have to pull over.

Josh

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Red strobe = pull over.

Blue strobe, private vehicle = request for the right of way; good idea to grant it because someone is likely in trouble. Up to you, though.

Amber light = caution. Again, you do not have to pull over.

Josh

Let's not forget a GREEN light as well:

IC 9-19-14.5-1
    Display of green lights on privately owned vehicles in line of duty
    Sec. 1. A privately owned vehicle belonging to a certified paramedic, certified emergency medical technician-intermediate, certified emergency medical technician-basic advanced, certified emergency medical technician, certified emergency medical service driver, or certified emergency medical service first responder while traveling in the line of duty in connection with emergency medical services activities may display flashing or revolving green lights, subject to the following restrictions and conditions...

Blessings,
    Bill

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks Bill. The green light, I believe, is a new one, isn't it? Was never taught that in traffic class!

Josh

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm not sure why not, but it's been around in Indiana for at least the past 18 years. :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Most EMTs are that might respond in there own vehicle are with Volunteer departments and just run blue lights. I've only seen a very few green lights the last couple years. They are out there though.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Move over, BUT for farks sake if its a 4 lane highway PLEASE DONT STOP!! Just move to the right lane safely. Damn it drives me crazy when idiots think they have to slam on the brakes even if the emergency vehicle is on the other side of the road!!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Most EMTs are that might respond in there own vehicle are with Volunteer departments and just run blue lights. I've only seen a very few green lights the last couple years. They are out there though.

It very well could be this.

Back in the day I had blue and I had amber. I ran blue if I was on my way someplace and amber if I was stopped.

I don't remember even seeing greens for sale around here.

If I still have my old traffic book, I'll look it up. If they've been around for 18 years, then they still would have been five years old at the time I was taking traffic in college.

Josh

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have a buddy that does volunteer fire/rescue near Fairmount. I never really thought about it much, he didn't really talk about it much, and it wasn't really much of anything. I doubt I would have ever thought about the blue lights.

Until I talked to him the day after the van accident that killed multiple students from Taylor University. He was on the run that night along with full duty and other volunteers. Trust me, that night really shook him up and it made me realize how important those volunteers can be.

I'll always yield. If they're speeding or running red lights, I'll probably look the other way.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I had a buddy that was an EMT before he was certified as a firefighter on a VFD. He ran a green light until he got his firefighter cert. and then switched to blue. This was 15 years or so ago.

Top Bottom