• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Wow...I'm a little disturbed towards some of the viewpoints expressed towards volunteer firefighters here...

I'm from a rural area, we only have volunteer departments. Did you know that most volunteers undergo more training than paid career firefighters? If they come up behind me, I yield the right of way. No, you aren't required to, and they are required to follow all traffic laws while operating under the blue light.

They're also trying to get to an emergency scene or to their station to get equipment, and someone's property, and more importantly, possibly someone's life, is waiting on them. To say that you won't pull over because they're speeding is a big :noway: in my book; it's not your responsiblility to hinder them; they're taking whatever risks they have chosen, and are speeding in an effort to get to someone who needs help quickly. As they say, in a life or death situation, seconds count.

If they're being wreckless, get out of the way; get the vehicle description, and call it into the department; I guarantee you the chief will handle it and it will be addressed. Most departments have strict guidelines in place (in addition to the state laws) about behavior and driving while running the blue light, and most volunteers act responsibly regardless.

Just my :twocents:

:+1:

Just pull over... geesh.

I'm glad I'm not so cynical and bitter that I think volunteers serving the community are doing it for a "hard on".

I live in a volunteer fire protection district. Thank God these men and women are willing to do this.

:facepalm:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Just pull over... geesh.

I'm glad I'm not so cynical and bitter that I think volunteers serving the community are doing it for a "hard on".

I live in a volunteer fire protection district. Thank God these men and women are willing to do this.

:facepalm:

Where are all the guys who continuously complain of their taxes being too high? If it weren't for the Jolly Vollies, taxes would be much higher.

Where are all the guys who continuously advocate for the original intent of the Framers? Benjamin Franklin founded the volunteer fire service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Where are all the guys who continuously whine about their taxes being too high? If it weren't for the Jolly Vollies, taxes would be much higher.

Where are all the guys who continuously advocate for the original intent of the Framers? Benjamin Franklin founded the volunteer fire service.

Talking the talk versus walking the walk. That would be my guess.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Where are all the guys who continuously whimper about their taxes being too high? If it weren't for the Jolly Vollies, taxes would be much higher.

Personally I would be more than happy if a lot of the "Services" that are now considered a Government Function would return to the Volunteer or Community that used to do those functions.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    He is right. You would be surprised at how many times these guys get tickets for doing this....They know better than to speed and run the lights as it is part of their volunteer training.

A cop would have to be a real scumbag to pull over a volunteer firefighter on their way to a call and write a ticket. And a judge would have to be a fool not to throw a ticket like that out.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    A cop would have to be a real scumbag to pull over a volunteer firefighter on their way to a call and write a ticket. And a judge would have to be a fool not to throw a ticket like that out.

The volly would be a real scum bag for putting the police in a position of writing the ticket, much less endangering other citizens.

Does volunteer firefighting come with a high speed driving course for there flat bed 84 ford F-350?

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Here, I've seen deputies pull over a car that's impeded a volunteer; although it appeared to be that the driver was doing it intentionally. I doubt they could write a ticket for it since the volunteer isn't an official emergency vehicle, but the volunteers have a good relationship with the deputies. I've also seen deputies ignore the infractions of a volunteer going on a response. Heck, a couple of the deputies ARE volunteer firefighters on our local volunteer department.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    It works both ways......

• How often does a VF screw up, and has his or her proverbial bacon pulled out of the fire by LE?
    • How often does a LEO screw up, and has his or her proverbial bacon pulled out of the fire by a VF?
    Pretty much the same number for each.

Of course, if either side throws the other under the bus, then the other is happy to reciprocate.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    if it wasnt then there would be no way that i EVERY SINGLE TIME i EVER drive on the highway i have at least 2 cops fly past me with no lights on.

That's when you get in right behind them and go the same speed !! I do it all the time, if there going to be in plain clothes in a marked car and go 80 in a 55 on 465 then you can bet your ass I'm going to!

On the other hand, I always pulls over for the vols, never heard of one abusing his power and not going to the firehouse for an emergency.

I have a cousin who is a vol and for the most part they are all extremely hardworking and take their calls very seriously (as they should)

+1 for firefighters having good relationships with LEOs, Don't think anyone would ever pull them over while their blue-lighting

Top Bottom