• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you FULLY support the 2nd amendment?

• Total voters

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The risk of damaging the plane has been discussed here before. Unless it is a 4 seat puddle jumper the chances of a firearm round disabling the plane is virtually nil and even in most puddle jumpers it is unlikely. It would take numerous spots in exact locations to do it.

Touche, salesman. Point taken, guns should be allowed everywhere :):

I also agree with you on minor's. It should be the parents' choice what their children own. That being said, I still think they should be allowed to carry if their parents' sign off on it.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    If any of your posts include a "but" in them, then you probably don't fully support the 2nd amendment fully.

I don't think so if we're talking about minors. I have two arguments for that.

I could argue that since parents are responsible for their children's actions, they should have the authority to decide whether or not their children can get guns.

I could also argue that in many many cases, minors are only considered citizens through their parents. If that's the case, if a minor wants to exercise a right of the USA citizen, they should have to go through their parents first.

In no way am I saying I think minors shouldn't be allowed to carry. I think it should be like the rule for rated R movies. Kids can see them if their parents get them in to the theater.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    minors have all the rights you and i do.

except the ones adults take away from them.

i fully support a kid blowing her would be rapist's face off.

hands down.

or, hell, a burglar.

for all the same purposes you or i would use a weapon, so too can youth.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

hands down.

or, hell, a burglar.

I FULLY support the 2nd Amendment. That being said, I do believe that the issue of minors is a bit more difficult. I DO think that minors should have the ability to keep and bear arms. I AM against all government mandated training for the use of firearms. However, it can't be denied that EVERYONE needs instruction at one time or another. Do we simply hand over an AR-15 to a 13 year-old child without some proper training? If training is needed, should the .gov hold the parents responsible? Then we are right back in the circle of "do we want the .gov to mandate training? No. Is training needed? Yes. Do we impose a penalty if the parent doesn't train the child? Possibly. Is that a form of government mandated training? Possibly." :dunno: Any opinions out there? I'm against government-mandated training. I feel minors should be trained by parents in the use of firearms. I just don't see how telling a parent that they need to train their child is NOT a form of government-mandated training. :dunno:

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I FULLY support the 2nd Amendment. That being said, I do believe that the issue of minors is a bit more difficult. I DO think that minors should have the ability to keep and bear arms. I AM against all government mandated training for the use of firearms. However, it can't be denied that EVERYONE needs instruction at one time or another. Do we simply hand over an AR-15 to a 13 year-old child without some proper training? If training is needed, should the .gov hold the parents responsible? Then we are right back in the circle of "do we want the .gov to mandate training? No. Is training needed? Yes. Do we impose a penalty if the parent doesn't train the child? Possibly. Is that a form of government mandated training? Possibly." :dunno: Any opinions out there? I'm against government-mandated training. I feel minors should be trained by parents in the use of firearms. I just don't see how telling a parent that they need to train their child is NOT a form of government-mandated training. :dunno:

So you're NOT fully for the second amendment.

Well why not just say so?

Your answer is in your post.

It's up to the parents. As it should be. and ultimately is.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When you think about it, the rights of the criminals are not restricted by modern day laws. The criminals who desire to purchase a gun will find a way to have one. People are so afraid of allowing criminals to have guns, but the fact is, not all criminals use guns while performing crimes. Besides, if everyone in the gas station, pharmacy, etc., had a gun, the criminals would be less likely to believe they are walking in to take advantage of unarmed people.

Anyway, it's not 2A we should be worried about, IMO it's 10A that we've allowed to go down the drain, thereby possibly allowing 2A to follow.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Simple solution: put firearm use and safety in public school's curriculum. Kids are supposed to be in school anyway, and are supposed to be learning how to live in this world of ours. If guns are unrestricted and become more common, I would say a little education on guns is warranted. Thoughts?

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Unfettered access to firearms...

As it stands now, the only individuals restricted from owning firearms are those who respect the laws and don't know enough about the Black Market to secure illegal firearms. Criminals already have guns, and while I don't subscribe to the notion that all crimes would stop with guns, at lease there would be some level of equality.

Let us not forget, the Second Amendment isn't about hunting or crime prevention. Hunting was a given, and crime prevention (or self-defense) was an after-thought. The Second Amendment exists so that we can defend ourselves against tyranny (i.e. the government).

I wish the First Amendment would defend us against all of the fake Thomas Jefferson quotes everyone seems to post in their signatures.

Lobb40118

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Earth

I do not think you should attempt to control others unless they are harming others. If a child used a firearm to hurt another the parent would be responsible via some sort of court tort action. The would be sued and lose. Therefore it would be indicative of parents to either not give their child a gun or train them. The free market could solve it with the arbitration. Anytime you want the government to do anything against anyone or group you are wrong. To be free you must allow others to be free regardless if you like their actions or not, provided they are harming no one. If they are harming others then they lose the right of freedom.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    YES!!! Up to and including giving firearms back to convicted felons after they serve their sentence. Because if they were not safe enough to be on the street, then why were they let out? We should also be able to own any weapon the governemt owns, including nukes. :ar15:

:+1:

I've got to be honest, when I first saw this post the Rosie O'Donnel in me was screaming at the top of her lungs. :D I never really thought about whether or not criminals should be allowed to carry a weapon, and when I did think about it, the thought uphalled me. Now that it's brought to my attention, I do fully support the 2nd amendment, and I think a serious reform of our criminal justice system would compliment that. STOP imprisoning people for smoking pot and driving drunk, and start imprisoning violent offenders longer.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    UNINFRINGED!!!!!!!!!!!!:patriot:

If you are a free citizen (Not in jail or under arrest atm) then you should be free to carry.

That is very true. It is also true if you are a criminal or a drunk out creating a public nuisance or making the public highways a crap shoot you should be in jail. Period, in jail. Not on probation. Not on a restricted license. Not on bail. Not on work release, not on a plea bargain or out for good behaviour while you were behind bars. That is the most laughable ridiculous concept ever proposed. A person behind bars and "good behaviour".

The family of people drunk drivers kill should beat them to death the next time they see them. Then free people with sense wouldn't have to put up with a pile of crap laws to make society safe to live with criminals loose all over the place.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've asked this question before and I don't recall anyone answering it without crossing the "prior restraint" line.

If, as a young man of 18, you got in with the wrong crowd and did some stupid things (like maybe being present when they were out boosting stereos, etc... not doing anything but just being there... and you were caught, tried, convicted, and sentenced... Let's say the judge was lenient and only sentenced you to 370 days in jail. You're now 20, by the time the case comes to trial and the sentence is handed down and served, and you're out, now with a criminal record. While you were in, you had time to reflect on what your so-called friends did and now, more mature, you know that you should have gotten out of the car and walked home, if that's what it took... should have called the cops, whatever. Fast forward four years. You've gone to college and earned your associates degree in something or other and had time to meet a nice young lady, settle down, buy a home, maybe even have a baby or just one on the way.

Why should you not have the right to protect and defend yourself and your family from those who might do you or them harm?

Granted, this is a "perfect" example, and all, hell, even most cases will not be so obvious. In addition, after some period of time, I'm not sure how long, you can petition the court to reduce your listed crime to a misdemeanor or can petition for a full pardon. All that said, though, when you first left prison, you had made the decision to turn your life around, but your former buddies might not have done so. Why should you be defenseless when they show up? THEY sure won't be!

It should be defined on what you do with the gun, not just that you have it. I'd take no issue at all with a former felon owning a firearm and using it to defend himself or his family. Maybe to ease into it, we could define that they can't yet qualify for a LTCH, but can have one at home lawfully, but the goal, IMHO, should be to move toward the removal of regulations that bind only those who obey the law.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Then you shouldn't HAVE ANY OF THAT. You have no business going to college. First off the thief should have spent more time in jail doing jail time. Going to jail shouldn't mean going to college at the taxpayer's expense. It should mean jail time. You owe the people you were involved in stealing from and you owe the taxpayers who had to waste funds dealing with thief. You don't have any business in college where a law abiding hard working citizen could be. A thief belongs working and paying back the debt he owes to those he stole from and the citizens who fed and housed him not out crying about how he needs a gun to protect himself from people like him and his buddies.:twocents:

You can paint it any way you want, thief and a thiefs cohorts is what it is.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    So you're NOT fully for the second amendment.

Well why not just say so?

Your answer is in your post.

It's up to the parents. As it should be. and ultimately is.

:): Slow down there, and READ the post. I AM fully for the 2nd Amendment, and my posts speak for themselves. I was asking what I felt to be a valid question. I agree that it's up to the parents. I suppose my conclusion is that regardless of how we may see a minor handling a firearm, it is the PARENT'S responsibility to ensure that they handle it correctly. Not yours, not mine, and not the government's. If you see a minor handling a firearm unsafely, and they are with their parent(s), then you have absolutely no standing to go speak with them about their unsafe handling of a firearm. It's the parent's responsibility.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    That is very true. It is also true if you are a criminal or a drunk out creating a public nuisance or making the public highways a crap shoot you should be in jail. Period, in jail. Not on probation. Not on a restricted license. Not on bail. Not on work release, not on a plea bargain or out for good behaviour while you were behind bars. That is the most laughable ridiculous concept ever proposed. A person behind bars and "good behaviour".

The family of people drunk drivers kill should beat them to death the next time they see them. Then free people with sense wouldn't have to put up with a pile of crap laws to make society safe to live with criminals loose all over the place.

Agreed. There is little TRUE justice in this world anymore.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009

:laugh:
    Well, there you have it. There's a new Sheriff in town. Name's Jack Ryan.
    Now y'all mind yer manners and behave real peaceable-like, and we'll have no trouble. :draw:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

hands down.

or, hell, a burglar.

Minors are just smaller, dumber versions of their parents.

Top Bottom