• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you FULLY support the 2nd amendment?

• Total voters

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    haha...Bring back the good ol fashioned gallows and he has my vote :popcorn:

That's a waste of good timber when bullets are no more than a buck a piece.

Use the wood to make paddles and form gauntlets for the one's not quite ready for shooting yet.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Responding to the original post, I don't think the Founding Fathers ever considered that fathers in this country would stop teaching firearms to their sons and daughters.

Sadly, it's a skill more often not taught.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    What about nuclear weapons?

Hard to say. I don't know that nukes fall under "firearms." The impracticality of possession would preclude almost everyone from ownership. Also, firearms are to protect us from tyranny--not too many tyrants would blow-up their own people (otherwise, they would have no subjects). If my neighbor has a machine gun, there is little danger of wiping out the city defending himself and his property. A nuclear weapon would decimate the surrounding area, and I don't think he (or really anyone) should or does have that right.

Nuclear technology requires a modicum of technological understanding to even implement. Ted and Alice down the street are nice people, and reasonably intelligent, but I don't think they are nuclear scientists/ engineers, and even if they are, I don't know that the ability gives them any right to hold the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in their control.

I don't think that nuclear arms fall under the firearms question even playing Devil's Advocate because there is no Individual application of rights.

A nuclear powered ray gun might be different...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You know it was not that long ago in Indiana when you could go into a hardware store and purchase explosives. Did we have anyone blowing up stuff in terroristic fashion... Nope...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I FULLY support the 2nd Amendment. That being said, I do believe that the issue of minors is a bit more difficult. I DO think that minors should have the ability to keep and bear arms. I AM against all government mandated training for the use of firearms. However, it can't be denied that EVERYONE needs instruction at one time or another. Do we simply hand over an AR-15 to a 13 year-old child without some proper training? If training is needed, should the .gov hold the parents responsible? Then we are right back in the circle of "do we want the .gov to mandate training? No. Is training needed? Yes. Do we impose a penalty if the parent doesn't train the child? Possibly. Is that a form of government mandated training? Possibly." :dunno: Any opinions out there? I'm against government-mandated training. I feel minors should be trained by parents in the use of firearms. I just don't see how telling a parent that they need to train their child is NOT a form of government-mandated training. :dunno:

The answer to your problem is that parents are totally responsible for what their minor children do. If they allow their child to have a weapon without properly training it in firearms safety and use, the parents are responsible for any damage/death caused by their child. Government need not have anything to do with it, except where such a case comes before a court.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Personally I think there should be ZERO regulations on anything. The free market will take care of the trash soon enough.

Nukes, if someone wants to build a small nuke to blow a stump out of the ground oh well...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Hard to say. I don't know that nukes fall under "firearms." The impracticality of possession would preclude almost everyone from ownership. Also, firearms are to protect us from tyranny--not too many tyrants would blow-up their own people (otherwise, they would have no subjects). If my neighbor has a machine gun, there is little danger of wiping out the city defending himself and his property. A nuclear weapon would decimate the surrounding area, and I don't think he (or really anyone) should or does have that right.

Nuclear technology requires a modicum of technological understanding to even implement. Ted and Alice down the street are nice people, and reasonably intelligent, but I don't think they are nuclear scientists/ engineers, and even if they are, I don't know that the ability gives them any right to hold the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in their control.

I don't think that nuclear arms fall under the firearms question even playing Devil's Advocate because there is no Individual application of rights.

A nuclear powered ray gun might be different...

Cionstitution says the right to keep and bear arms; doesn't say firearms only. Private nukes might be uncommon, but they would be considered "arms" under the Constitution.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Nukes, if someone wants to build a small nuke to blow a stump out of the ground oh well...

What is a "small nuke?" I'm no physicist, but I don't know of many things smaller than an atom and when you split one, you get a 12 mile blast radius.

If I am wrong, please, someone educate me.

As to comparing nuclear matter to hardware store explosives...there is a bit of a difference in the peripheral (collateral) damage.

I do remember when I was a kid and we would build nukes in the backyard, but those were simpler times...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    What is a "small nuke?" I'm no physicist, but I don't know of many things smaller than an atom and when you split one, you get a 12 mile blast radius.

If I am wrong, please, someone educate me.

As to comparing nuclear matter to hardware store explosives...there is a bit of a difference in the peripheral (collateral) damage.

I do remember when I was a kid and we would build nukes in the backyard, but those were simpler times...

I think you're thinking of H-bombs. Tactical nuclear weapons have smaller areas of effect. Civilian nukes could be used for heavy engineering and excavations; depending upon the composition, radio isotopes could be short-lived and be environmentally neutralized in a relatively short time period.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I think you're thinking of H-bombs. Tactical nuclear weapons have smaller areas of effect. Civilian nukes could be used for heavy engineering and excavations; depending upon the composition, radio isotopes could be short-lived and be environmentally neutralized in a relatively short time period.

Rep on the info, thanks.

I stand corrected. Still though, would "civilian-use" nukes fall under the Second?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Thank you! You beat me back to this thread...
    Rep on the info, thanks.

I stand corrected. Still though, would "civilian-use" nukes fall under the Second?
    No probably not but I am sure the BATF&E would have to regulate it and charge you extra for being able to use it...
    I can't believe the conversation has seriously turned to "civial-use nuclear bombs" and people actually think this is a good idea.
    Why Not?! :dunno:
    There are a lot of good places they could be utilized in. I can think of several applications in the fields of engineering, demolitions, and mining were they would be quite useful...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I doubt it...

I don't, I can see several uses for them in Civilian applications. I could also see the technology moving farther, and faster with Civilian use allowed too. Will we ever see it?! Probably not in our lifetimes. Definitely not in our childrens lifetimes with the speed that we are approaching a Nanny State...

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    NowNow we should be talking guns not grenades. Yes to the 2nd ! we will never allow that to be changed. Hear that liberals? !

The nukes question is peripheral and obviously not something about which I understand a great deal. Grenades however could definitely be useful should we ever have to fortify ourselves against forces from within that will have grenades. Keep in mind why the Second was included.

Top Bottom