• What's your water preference?

• Total voters

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    This unit is sold at Lowe's (and maybe other locations) Last I checked, while they sell the unit, they don't sell replacement cartridges.
    R.O. filters useful life is based on consumption. Don't use it, they can last for years, use it often and they may last four months.
    R.O. water regeneration slows down when filters require replacement.
    If thinking of buying one, there are models for City water and models for well water. They are different.
    R.O. water for the concerned homeowner is the the way to go.

That's where I got my replacement cartridges.:dunno:

http://www.lowes.com/Search=what+fi...0&newSearch=true&Ntt=what+filtration+systems#!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    For me, at home, well water, just as it comes out of the well. So far as I am concerned, there just isn't anything else like it. Bottled water (spring water rather than filtered tap water) on the road given that most municipal supplies are full of chlorine and fluoride, neither or which are any good for a person.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    For several years I lived in a house that had a concrete cistern under one room. Rain water from the roof was piped into it. During dry times city water was hauled and dumped into it. Looked into it one day and saw itty bitty skeletons on the bottom. Mice had gotten in there and drowned and my family and I drank them. YECH!!. When a co-op was formed and city water was brought to the country I was one of the first to sign up.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For several years I lived in a house that had a concrete cistern under one room. Rain water from the roof was piped into it. During dry times city water was hauled and dumped into it. Looked into it one day and saw itty bitty skeletons on the bottom. Mice had gotten in there and drowned and my family and I drank them. YECH!!. When a co-op was formed and city water was brought to the country I was one of the first to sign up.

So now you're drinking water that has dead mice in a city cistern?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have minor issues with Indy water on the SW side. I still drink it, but its pretty damn hard. Not that I care enough to waste the $$ on a softener. I can deal with the crust. the various faucets, valves, etc that I burn through still is cheaper than the softener costs. (dont get soap scum when you use detergent based cleaners instead)

THIS! I laugh at many people who swear by the bottled "drinking water" over tap. distilled or spring is one thing, but drinking? Dude, they literally bottle the water that the municipal system delivers to them. If you are on crappy well water that has lots of iron and other crap in it OK. I understand. But city dwellers who drink the Nestle, etc. crap are just wasting their money.

An interesting watch on bottled water:
    Penn & Teller Bull**** On Water - YouTube (Id link it as a video but I dont want the mods coming down on me for the text in the preview)

Penn & Teller nails it.

I drank well water growing up.
    City water now.
    At work, bottled water. But that's because of the signs on the tap water that say, Non-Potable water. Washing only.
    The pipes at the mill are allowing arsenic into the water. Shower and washing dishes only.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have a RO system at home but I'll drink tap if I need to...no biggie. Best tasting tap water I have found is NJ city water. It really does taste good...meaning it has no taste at all. The worst I've had was Greenfield well water. Smelled like eggs and tasted horrible.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Depends on the tap. Bloomington, Bedford, I've never had any issue with it. Indianapolis, blech. I'll drink it if I have to but it has an odd taste that is not good. Lima Ohio, terrible. Many other places I've been in the US (and I travel a lot), few issues.

I don't worry about water safety, for me it's mostly taste. I pretty much avoid bottled water because it's expensive and wasteful, but if that's what's there, I'll take it. It's somewhat amusing the number of people who seem to get offended if you drink tap water when you are at their house. The marketing folks have done their jobs well.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I drink 2 gallons of water a day. From my tap. It's town water, and we have a water softener.

Now, at my parents house, they have a well. So their tap water is nasty.

It just depends on the taste I guess. I won't drink my in-laws tap water, tastes nasty.

It's funny water is different all over the state, I'm on a huge aquifer outside of Martinsville (BTW the High School is the Artisians) and I bring in bottles of water for me and buddies Tea in the morning, My dad takes it home for his coffee, (they are on BC water (yuck) with an RO)

One thing I look for when we've been house hunting in the past is the water coming into the house and make sure the water gets out of the house ( you know what I mean) So when your looking for a place to hang out drink a glass of water sit down and look around.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I'm on a city well, and don't drink the tap water to much of a iron taste. My parents live close to Lake Michigan and there tap water is perfectly fine.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Well water from Osceola is known to cause all types of health issues e.g., wrinkles, hemorrhoids (2 r's one m, 2 r's one m) excessive drinking, heart issues and finally, low T, but it takes 25yrs. :D

I drank well water from Osceola for 20 years. No problems. City water to make Iced tea and coffee now. I really can't tell the difference. The Nestle water my wife drinks says it's from Greencastle, IN public water supply.
    Well water here. Softner, except for the cold kitchen water. I buy filtered water @ Meijer and bring my own containers. I filter tap water thru a Brita.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    *note: Nestle Purelife isn't bottled out of Greencastle. It's bottled in Greenwood.

And it's Greenwood municipal water that's run through a series of filtration / RO stuffs before bottling.

I'd rather drink my tap water than bottled. Cheaper. And tastes just fine.

I'm not a fan of RO water. Not enough mineral content to give it a "water flavor" for me.

-J-

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    Well water here. Filtered through the refrigerator and it's great! Now the town is installing city water and I'm not too happy about it. Just one of those guys who don't like to pay for something I don't want, but our wonderful government seems to not agree. :xmad:
    You must live in Demotte.

Top Bottom