• What's your water preference?

• Total voters

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I grew up drinking from the garden hose... tap water is fine with me. I do keep bottled water on hand for outages and guests though.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I drink tap water at certain places such as restaurants and filtered water at a few buddies houses . At home I grab a bottle since it's convenient and I can take with me around the house .

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I just know that my town did the brilliant "lets add fluoride to our water" idea,
    so I definitely avoid it. Hey lets poison people!:scratch:

I had well water, it tasted great, then I started having issues with the well and no-one I called would come look at it because I lived in town and they all wanted to punch a new well. (the town says I could have a well if I wanted).
    So last summer I hooked to city water. My Town quit adding Fluoride to the water supply

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny that you bring this up now! Got my monthly water bill and in it was their annual drinking water report. In it I read a warning that the water has not been tested during the third quarter of 2013 and resumed testing in November. So glad they warned us after the fact that for five months the water might not have met standards!!!!! Of course they assure us that when it was finally tested, it was ok.

wondered why my red car turned white the last time I washed it!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It seems to be almost an insult to offer someone a glass of water from the faucet anymore. I can't remember the last time I've had water from a fountain or faucet. When people come to the house or my office, we have bottled water for them. I'm of the opinion that tap water is perfectly fine and that's about all bottled water is anyway. I guess it's just convenient in many ways to go with the bottled brands. So, do you drink water fro the faucet? If not, do you believe it's unsafe or the bottled water offers something better?
    20140304_230013_zpsangbarfu.jpg

At least three of these a day, out of the tap.
    It's your fault;
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/275136-water-sweeteners-other-additives.html

Thank you!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Situational...

RO/Filtered water:
    • Coffee
    • Ice for drinks
    • water goblet & travel glass/bottle

Tap water:
    • Cook with
    • Brush teeth
    • Quick drink in the night or popping a Tylenol
    • Ice for filling coolers/etc.

The monkey nailed it.

Our water (Plainfield) has a slightly chlorinated smell/taste that I can't handle.

Draco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I cannot speak for others in my area, but the water that comes from my faucet strongly resembles what you’d find the pool at the YMCA, what with the heavy dose of bromine or whatever it is they add to it. It is a shame, I remember the water being just fine a long while back, but now it is just not something I like to drink short of making tea or something to mask the flavor pool water.

Honestly, I’m rather irate that we raised sales taxes to build a new football stadium that will benefit me none at all, but I have to consider getting a reverse-osmosis rig if I’d like to have anything I’d considered servable. Respectable water > football, if you ask me.

It is easy to forget, though, that it doesn’t have to be this way. I was out to Chicago a while back and drank the tap, it was wonderful; it tasted precisely like water ought to taste, and it smelled like water ought to smell.

Am I the only one connected to the Indianapolis water supply that cannot stand the stuff?

I mean, it is better than nothing, don’t get me wrong; but as far as municipal water systems go, I feel like I’m getting screwed.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Straight from my well, is orange-brown liquid that tastes like blood and farts, smells like a boiled egg.

I've sent it for testing, safe to drink.

Added iron filter on my softener and carbon filter to the kitchen. Sometimes it still smells like bloody farts, but tastes much better now.

When I have lake-sourced water, I can taste faint fishy lake water flavors.

Bottled water doesn't taste good to me. Ill drink it, but won't buy it.

Wife prefers to refilter the water with a Brita. I bought a reverse osmosis system for her, just haven't installed it yet. Waiting till I remodel our 1947 kitchen.

Eta: I use untreated water for brewing. Orange-brown hose water, appropriate grain buffer selection and make some great beers. Just can't make anything light colored or bodied due to my water chemistry.

Last edited:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Replacement filters are a little spendy. Any idea how long they last? I'm sure it would still pay for itself vs buying bottles.

I've had mine two years and only had to change the filters once. It has a light on it to tell you when to change the filters, I ignore that and go by how the ice freezes. You get some weird shaped cubes, some with spikes when you freeze filtered water.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I cannot speak for others in my area, but the water that comes from my faucet strongly resembles what you’d find the pool at the YMCA, what with the heavy dose of bromine or whatever it is they add to it. It is a shame, I remember the water being just fine a long while back, but now it is just not something I like to drink short of making tea or something to mask the flavor pool water.

Honestly, I’m rather irate that we raised sales taxes to build a new football stadium that will benefit me none at all, but I have to consider getting a reverse-osmosis rig if I’d like to have anything I’d considered servable. Respectable water > football, if you ask me.

It is easy to forget, though, that it doesn’t have to be this way. I was out to Chicago a while back and drank the tap, it was wonderful; it tasted precisely like water ought to taste, and it smelled like water ought to smell.

Am I the only one connected to the Indianapolis water supply that cannot stand the stuff?

I mean, it is better than nothing, don’t get me wrong; but as far as municipal water systems go, I feel like I’m getting screwed.

No you are not the only one on Indianapolis water system that thinks it SUCKS! You can hold a glass of tap water six inches away and still smell the chlorine. I am not drinking pool water. I use a pitcher filter system. The only place on the planet that has worse water I have tried is Diego Garcia and they warn you not to drink that stuff as it has live coral in it. Thailand water is pretty gross and will make you sick but it is more palatable than the stinking water here.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood

This unit is sold at Lowe's (and maybe other locations) Last I checked, while they sell the unit, they don't sell replacement cartridges.
    R.O. filters useful life is based on consumption. Don't use it, they can last for years, use it often and they may last four months.
    R.O. water regeneration slows down when filters require replacement.
    If thinking of buying one, there are models for City water and models for well water. They are different.
    R.O. water for the concerned homeowner is the the way to go.

Top Bottom