• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Ive been talking to someone in another thread. They said that continually clearing and then reloading the same round into a chamber over an extended period of time can cause the round to seat farther in and could potentially result in a kaboom.

My question isnt whether this is true or not, but rather, what do you do? I wake up and go to class on campus (unarmed), I come home (grab my gun), put a magazine in, put a round in the chamber, pull out the mag and put another in (15 +1). Then I carry like that all day until bed. When I sleep I take a round out and put the loaded mag back in, then put the pistol by my bed. (I take it out because I dont want to be reaching around for it in the dark and accidentally pull the trigger)

Should I just load it and leave it? Should I keep doing what im doing? Should I get rid of the 2 rounds ive been cycling for the past couple months?

Thank you!
    :rockwoot:

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I leave the round in the chamber all the time, I will sometimes rotate the round to the bottom of the magazine. Every 6 months or so I empty the mag and put in fresh ammo.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I load it and leave it. I wipe it down occasionally but I never do anything else except after some range time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I leave the round in the chamber all the time, I will sometimes rotate the round to the bottom of the magazine. Every 6 months or so I empty the mag and put in fresh ammo.

I leave a round in the chamber all the time, but my pistol doesn't sit idle enough that I empty the mag and put in fresh every 6 months. It's probably more like 4-6 weeks I shoot the mag and then put in fresh ammo.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Factory crimp should keep the bullet in the same place on clambering one as clambering 500.

I shoot and rotate my SD rounds about every 6 months. I have the fear that some of the lube could seep into the case and booger up the powder or primers. Probably not an issue, but rotation isn't a bad idea either.

But no, my SD handgun never get cleared unless I have to for some reason. (gun show, friday night steel, ect.)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I was going to post about cartridge set-back, but the OP addressed it. I've been told .45 ACP and .40 S&W are particularly susceptible. ( I guess "told" isn't exactly right, I read it in "aBC's of reloading" and in a Lyman loading book). In any case, I don't clear my EDC daily; I shoot them after they've been in the gun a few months. One thing I do though is I mic my EDC rounds to check OAL, cycle them once and then remic them before using in my EDC. I'm not confident enough in my reload skills yet to use my own reloads or I would already know they were the right OAL.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks for the info guys!

One final question. Should I keep the magazine fully loaded all the time or is that bad for the spring?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the info guys!

One final question. Should I keep the magazine fully loaded all the time or is that bad for the spring?

Nope, its perfectly fine on modern day springs. It's the constant loading and unloading of the spring pressure that wears them out.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Got it. Keep one in the chamber and dont mess with things unless you do a wipe down or get some range time in. Sounds easy enough.

Thanks for the quick help guys I appreciate it!

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    I will say that I have found that chambering the same round several times can or will push the bullet back in the case. This may or may not depend on the gun, ammo etc. But I have had it happen to me.

For this reason I rotate my ammo from the top to the bottom of the magazine.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Factory crimp should keep the bullet in the same place on clambering one as clambering 500. cleared unless I have to for some reason. (gun show, friday night steel, ect.)
    That's ^ not what I was taught...
    I will say that I have found that chambering the same round several times can or will push the bullet back in the case. This may or may not depend on the gun, ammo etc. But I have had it happen to me.

For this reason I rotate my ammo from the top to the bottom of the magazine.

This ^.
    If you want to see for yourself, mark that round and measure it with calipers, or better yet, a micrometer...keep doing the reload/unload and check it for yourself. :yesway:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Read somewhere, maybe here, where someone tested that reloading the same round over and over again and measured the round. It did seat the bullet deeper.

Top Bottom