• XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's ^ not what I was taught...

This ^.
    If you want to see for yourself, mark that round and measure it with calipers, or better yet, a micrometer...keep doing the reload/unload and check it for yourself. :yesway:

Exactly ! Doesn't matter if reload or factory... I have seen it myself. Now, how much it will raise the pressure, depends on many variables.

The fact it's factory crimped makes no difference. Keeping the bullet in place is more the function of proper tension of the case on the bullet.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If the OP is worried about "fiddling" around in the dark with a loaded gun on the nightstand, then maybe it is time to invest in a small gun safe. With practice they are pretty fast to open. That way the gun can stay loaded. Or just leave the gun in the holster. In holster = no finger on the trigger and no kaboom.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Or just leave the gun in the holster. In holster = no finger on the trigger and no kaboom.

Great idea!!! Im going to do that. Thank you!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I got the answers I was looking for.

Have a good one! :rockwoot:

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    If the OP is worried about "fiddling" around in the dark with a loaded gun on the nightstand, then maybe it is time to invest in a small gun safe. With practice they are pretty fast to open. That way the gun can stay loaded. Or just leave the gun in the holster. In holster = no finger on the trigger and no kaboom.

what about transport? ie: while at work? Keep in locked box, but box not big enough for gun + holster?

is the ammo not "robust" enough to handle being exchanged daily?

I guess the case IS Brass... but this just opens a S*&T TON more questions about ammo for me.

Maybe a Raven trigger guard is in order!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    is the ammo not "robust" enough to handle being exchanged daily?

I guess the case IS Brass... but this just opens a S*&T TON more questions about ammo for me.

Maybe a Raven trigger guard is in order!

The ammo is pretty " robust". But so can the forces of the chambering process... In the case I saw, I intentionally chambered a round in .357 sig several times ( probably 20 times). I was curious because of the short neck that this might be an issue. It did seat the bullet .020 deeper. In this case, it was a factory Gold Dot. Being that load from Speer is loaded pretty tame, I was still ok. How much more before it might of approached a unsafe pressure, I don't know. It couldn't of went too much further before it ran out of straight and reached the radius portion of the ogive. at that point, it might of became interesting, assuming the compression on the powder didn't eventually stop it.

No need to loose any sleep on the issue. Just be aware of the possibility of this, be alert and practice rotating within the mag if you do clear and rechamber often. If seated .020-.030 deeper, a attentive eye SHOULD catch it.

In all honesty, I would probably worry more about always chambering the thing rather than bullet set back.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you are affraid that the one round you keep cylcling could get shorter with the bullet sliding into the casing and therefore increasing pressure inside you could just check it from time to time and compare it to one of your new rounds.
    Also im not sure but even if that happens and the pressure in the round is greater than standard pressure I dont think it would be a problem in modern guns.
    All modern guns can fire +P+ ammo without problem even if they are not rated for that kind of pressure.
    They do testing with high pressure ammo at the factory to make sure that you will be safe if that were to happen.
    Unless the ammo you keep is your gun is already a +P or +P+ then I wouldnt worry about any kind of over pressure.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I carry a wheelgun and keep it loaded, I occasionally shoot the loaded rounds from time to time and put fresh ones in.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a wheelgun and keep it loaded, I occasionally shoot the loaded rounds from time to time and put fresh ones in.

A little different issue there when the bullet gets to moving... At least I have never seen set back on a revolver. Everytime I have seen bullets move in a wheelgun, they have always "walked " forward. It's when they get into the forcing cone and locks up the cylinder that it becomes more a pain than anything. The range I frequent doesn't let shooters clear that condition on site... They have to leave and clear it.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Leave it chambered. Put it in a holster, or get a Raven trigger guard. If you have time to rack the slide and chamber a round, you have time to run or die. Just fact.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    My CZ insists on having her fangs bared at all times. I feel guilty the rare moments I have to have her unloaded. She wants to be ready to bite in my defense at any moment.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Read somewhere, maybe here, where someone tested that reloading the same round over and over again and measured the round. It did seat the bullet deeper.

My xD does this, I used to unload all the time and would rechamber the same 2 rounds, eventually I noticed how much it would set back the bullet. Now I just leave the gun in the holster in the safe when needed, instead of unloading it.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Aside from the bullet-seating issue, I wonder how much of an issue there is with case damage from the extractor. I have noticed that, with some pistols, an ejected case bears some visible marking on the rim. Does this ever cause feeding or ejection problems later?

And, for those of you who reload--is part of your reloading process to try to smooth out or otherwise remove ejector markings? Or does it really not matter?

Personally, I will only allow a round in an autoloader to be chambered twice to still trust it for carry. This is one of the reasons I like revolvers, as they can be easily unloaded and reloaded without any damage to the rounds.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I clear the chamber daily, sometimes more than once a day. Have never had a problem of any sort been carrying for 20 plus yrs.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I had a problem with a Glock .357sig where doing what you described ended up jamming the gun. apparently the round that I kept "re"-chambering, got nicked. When I went to chamber it once, the slide got locked open with the live round in it.
    That was with a friend's gun. Now on, I just chamber one and leave it put.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Only time I clear my weapon is when I have to go into the Communist State of Illinois...

When I do, I usually try not to put the same round back in every time, I do rotate it through the mag..

Top Bottom