• Do you change your own oil?

• Total voters

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Do you change your own oil? Or do you pay someone else to do it?

I change it myself, as well as rotating the tires.

Poll incoming!

The choices made me laugh :D

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Changing is easy. I drain it & go do my thing while it is draining, come back a little later & put on new filter & fill er up. It is rather painless & cheaper. No one hassling me to try & upsell me on stuff I don't need.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I pay someone..not because I cant do it or because Im "a wussy girl"...its because I'm not allowed to do it. I live in an apartment complex where Id get *****ed at for checking my windshield washer fluid.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I pay someone..not because I cant do it or because Im "a wussy girl"...its because I'm not allowed to do it. I live in an apartment complex where Id get *****ed at for checking my windshield washer fluid.

Really? That makes sense. I've seen people change oil in their cars at the parking lot at wal-Mart.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When I can get it changed in twenty (20) minutes for less than $10 difference from purchasing the oil and filter I see no reason to do it myself. I do not have to get dirty, do not have to dispose of the old oil, do not have to clean up the garage floor from spills, etc.

I used to do it myself, but it is just not worth the time to save less than $10.

I just taught my son how to change oil on his car. We bought a Fram filter (medium quality) and Mobil oil (medium quality) at Walmart. Also had to by a filter tool—which has to be returned because it would not fit the between the filter and the oil pan. Just the price of the filter and the oil is almost the cost of an oil change. If I use a good coupon, or buy booklets for multiple changes, the difference often drops to only $5.00. Not worth the effort.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I change it in my H2 myself because it sits high enough I can easily get under it to work. My Lexus sits so low it's a pain to jack it up, so I pay to have it changed.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I change my own oil.
    Personal and commercial vehicles.

For the semis going shop rate is over 200. I can do it for 100. With buying the oil by the 55gal barrel. If I had to but the oil by the gallon jug it would not save me anything by doing it myself.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When I can get it changed in twenty (20) minutes for less than $10 difference from purchasing the oil and filter I see no reason to do it myself. I do not have to get dirty, do not have to dispose of the old oil, do not have to clean up the garage floor from spills, etc.

I used to do it myself, but it is just not worth the time to save less than $10.

I just taught my son how to change oil on his car. We bought a Fram filter (medium quality) and Mobil oil (medium quality) at Walmart. Also had to by a filter tool—which has to be returned because it would not fit the between the filter and the oil pan. Just the price of the filter and the oil is almost the cost of an oil change. If I use a good coupon, or buy booklets for multiple changes, the difference often drops to only $5.00. Not worth the effort.

I truly understand. The prices for someone else to do it are affordable now.

But, I have heard horror stories. My brother, who's a mechanic, started out working at a major store that specialized in oil changes, tire balancing, all that good stuff.

If they were in a hurry, which they usually were, instead of greasing the fittings, they would put some on their finger and just wipe it on there, to make it look like they actually greased it.

They would strip threads, all kinds of other things that would make you cringe.

I just don't trust anyone else to do it. I'll spend the extra money to do it myself. At least I know it's done right.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Oil changes typically aren't given to the best mechanic in the shop.

Great mechanics don't work at Jiffy Lube either.

Just something to think about.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You forgot the options...
    Yes, even though I'm just a wussy girl, I can change my own oil.
    No, even though I'm of the manly kind, I don't save that much by doing it myself

Of course, I have a manly husband who changes it for me. :)

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I change my own oil. That way I know how things were done, what kind of oil and filter were used, and get a chance to check suspension and steering components, and tires at the same time. But here's more reason...
    I traded a vehicle I had changed my own oil on. It had 525,000 miles and ran like a top(I just wanted air bags and anti-locks). The guy who bought it from the lot drove it many thousands of miles across the country afterward, getting commercial oil changes. Guess what finally filled it? A quickie lubrication place left the old rubber oil filter gasket on the block and didn't notice, putting the new filter and gasket on top of it..... You guessed 'er... gasket squished out, and relieved the engine of its oil, locking it up....'nuff said.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I change my oil in most of my vehicles, except my Cavalier. the cap on the oil filter is known to break and I'd like it to break when walmart is changing it lol.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I change it in my H2 myself because it sits high enough I can easily get under it to work. My Lexus sits so low it's a pain to jack it up, so I pay to have it changed.

I understand you, I have the same problem with my Lamborgini Diablo, just sits to low. Now my Ferrari sits a bit higher but it is still difficult. With my monster truck "Ram-zilla" I can do chin-ups on the axles. So no problem there. :laugh:

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Oil Change Instructions For Women:
    1. Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3,000 miles since the last oil change.
    2. Drink a cup of coffee.
    3. 15 minutes later, scan debit card and leave, driving a properly maintained vehicle.
    Money spent:
    Oil Change: $30.00
    Coffee: $1.00
    TOTAL: $31.00

Oil Change Instructions For Men:
    1. Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, and use your debit card for $50.00.
    2. Stop by Beer Store and buy a case of beer, (debit $24), drive home.
    3. Open a beer and drink it.
    4. Jack truck up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
    5. Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
    6. In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
    7. Place drain pan under engine.
    8. Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
    9. Give up and use crescent wrench.
    10. Unscrew drain plug.
    11. Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.
    12. Crawl out from under truck to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
    13. Have another beer while watching oil drain.
    14. Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
    15. Give up; crawl under truck and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
    16. Crawl out from under truck with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
    17. Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
    18. Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
    19. Remember drain plug from step 11.
    20. Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
    21. Drink beer.
    22. Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
    23. Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
    24. Crawl under truck getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
    25. Begin cussing fit.
    26. Throw stupid crescent wrench.
    27. Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit truck and left dent.

28. Beer.
    29. Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
    30. Beer.
    31. Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
    32. Beer.
    33. Lower truck from jack stands.
    34. Move truck back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
    35. Beer.
    36. Test drive truck.
    37. Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
    38. Truck gets impounded.
    39. Call loving wife, make bail.
    40. 12 hours later, get truck from impound yard.
    Money spent:
    Parts: $50.00
    DUI: $2,500.00
    Impound fee: $75.00
    Bail: $1,500.00
    Beer: $20.00
    TOTAL: $4,145.00
    But you know the job was done right!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I change my own oil on all 4 vehicles. The truck has been done at the dealer before, when it was in for warranty work. I pick up oil and filters when they are on sale, and keep them on a shelf.

I also change brakes, any/all other fluids, and do most all other maintenance (plugs, belts, shocks, struts, etc..). Hard to find a good shop any more, and I've been burnt too many times.

Top Bottom