• Do you change your own oil?

• Total voters

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I do mine myself because I know what oil I am putting into it. When a quickie shop does it you really have no idea what is coming out of those overhead hoses, no matter what the signs say.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I changed mine this past sunday and think I set a new personal best. From the time I drove up the ramps to the time I backed down was just around 15 minutes. And that was with very little preperation. But I had the sense this time to take the whole socket set with me (including metric) under the car, because I couldn't remember if the drain plug was a Stardard size or Metric.

So I do it myself, Also a full synthetic guy here. Which brings to mind, Why the Hell does synthetic oil prices go up when the price of crude does?

I believe synthetic oil is still made from crude stock.

I'll have to double check that though.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I do most of my own work when I can (temperature driven). I hate working in the cold any more, getting old and wimpy I guess. Oil changes are something that I prefer to do myself, I know it is done my way which is the only right way anyway, and with the oil I prefer. I run nothing but synthetic in my cars and truck and buy a bunch of the gallon jugs when they are on sale to stick back. I usually go 7k to 10k between changes depending on the amount of city driving.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Always do it myself. It's easy and cheaper. I do most of the maintenance and repair on my and my wifes vehicles. Sometimes its frustrating but the experience pays off.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I'm not a wussy girl!!! But I do go to a "quick lube" shop because time is money, and my time is damn expensive. I'll pay an extra $10 bucks to not have to climb around underneath of it. It takes them 10 mins. to do an oil change, check the tires, and fill up all necessary fluids and I'm out the door, it would take me an hour to do that.

I just got mine done a couple of hours ago, $30 for them to do it in 10 mins. $20 for me to do it in an hour.....DEAL!!!

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had this idea for a business I would like to own and operate. It would be a mobile oil change service that will be done by sexy, hot, topless women all covered in oil. It will be called "Boob-a-lube". I bet you all become wussy girls then.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    While I turn all my wrenches and all the maintenance stuff....I farm out the oil jobs. I will provide all the oil and filter to make sure I get what I want, then it is only like $10-$12 in labor. It especially pays off when I take in the diesel, cause wtf am I going to do with 15qts of used oil?!?

Farm it!!

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I pay a dealership because I pay less there than I would for just oil anywherr. Plus they use better oil.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    do it myself. no reason not to. to easy to crawl under my truck. heck i can sit up under it. if i can fix it i will.

after all we have google and youtube to help for bigger repairs.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Change my own. I don't have a garage so I usually take it to my buddies pole barn or I'm laying down in the gravel driveway at my house.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I did NOT, vote, because, I am a DAV, and cannot crawl under the vehicle, anymore..... I pay someone else, but, not because, I am a "wussy girl"..... I have changed, a LOT of oil, in my lifetime ..... MOS, USMC, 3521, 3524, INARNG, 63B, 63G.....

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    When I can get it changed in twenty (20) minutes for less than $10 difference from purchasing the oil and filter I see no reason to do it myself. I do not have to get dirty, do not have to dispose of the old oil, do not have to clean up the garage floor from spills, etc.

I used to do it myself, but it is just not worth the time to save less than $10.
    Exactly this. I think that it's just not worth the time compared to the value I save.

That and my very first job was pumping gas, changing oil, changing tires, etc. at a local full service gas station. I pretty much got it all out of my system during those first couple of working years.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    You guys do know that at all those 10 minute oil change places, all they do is suck out the old oil from the oil fill and that leaves all the crude at the bottom of the oil pan. A new filter is installed and then new oil is poured in and mixes with all the crude left in the oil pan. you might have a new oil filter and new oil, but it's just as dirty as the old oil.

Just thought I'd mention that, even though I know all you guys know that already. :)

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    No offense but you guys and gals that say its worth it to do it a quickie lube because it takes less of your time crack me up. Its not worth it if the mess your ten thousand dollar vehicle up! Last time I went to one of those places they double gasketed the oil filter and drove it out to the parking lot an guess where all the oil went? In the parking lot! Then the idiots drove it back inside to put the filter back on. Thats good that the engine was running with no oil in it as they drove it back inside!!! When I say the last time I took it in one of those places I do mean the LAST TIME!!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just thought I'd mention that, even though I know all you guys know that already. :)

:hehe:, I'm not sure they did. Nor that the convenience places hire the cheapest available help. I have yet to meet the true mechanic that I would trust to look out for me, much less a chain store employee.

I'm not knocking anyone, but it pays me well to make the effort to crawl under my high mileage vehicle.
    I inspect all things. Leaks, damage, debris, wear, loosening, breakage, etc.
    Just sayin'...

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Depends on the season. I have the tools and the ability, but if it's hot as heck out or winter I'd rather just pay the extra $10 then crawl under a wet, dripping car in the snow. (No garage)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm planning on putting a lift in my barn and I still won't change my own oil. Not worth the extra hassle of saving a few bucks. I take mine to a dealer. Plus I dont have to store the oil and get rid of it. Plus right now I'm averaging about 60 hours a week at work.

Top Bottom