• ...and so much more!
  • Do you change your own oil?

• Total voters

c2joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    I voted yes, I have always enjoyed changing the oil and working on my vehicles. Knowing that it's done right makes me feel good.

hem_ker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Plymouth
    I get a sense of satisfaction when I do my own. Not only is it much cheaper and I know what's used (i.e. high quality oil), but I know I can still do it the next time if necessary :)

BTW - thanks for the reminder as I was just thinking on the way home tonight that I need to do this for both my car and the Mrs'

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I drive beat up old Ford trucks you dont change the oil you just check it every week and add a quart once year maybe change the filter :laugh:

Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It's just not work the time, mess or money to do it yourself. I used to change my oil many years ago and don't think I will ever do it again.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I always change my own oil and in 12 years driving I have only let someone else do it once when I was in a hurry. The only time my cars get touched by someone else is for tires and windows.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm surprised at the amount of people that actually get their oil changed in their vehicle one way or the other...

Everyone knows the most efficient way to ensure a clean supply of oil is to own a vehicle with a quart-a-month habit. You just pour half a quart of the cheapest 10w30 money can buy into the engine every time you get gas.

It's easy, it's simple... and your oils is ALWAYS fresh. :D

(filters are overrated)

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I'm surprised at the amount of people that actually get their oil changed in their vehicle one way or the other...

Everyone knows the most efficient way to ensure a clean supply of oil is to own a vehicle with a quart-a-month habit. You just pour half a quart of the cheapest 10w30 money can buy into the engine every time you get gas.

It's easy, it's simple... and your oils is ALWAYS fresh. :D

(filters are overrated)

:yesway: Did it for 6 months when I was 18. Oil from Dollar general was 1.25 a quart and I bought it by the case. That car got 16 MPG and 9 Miles per quart.

That's what happens when a main seal goes out and I'd rather be partying then fixing the car.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I used to be a dealer tech, so I do all the maintenance and most of the repairs on the vehicles around the farm. Only things someone else touches my car for is tires and alignment cause I don't have access to the equipment anymore :( I do most of the repairs on the rest of the vehicles too. Last weekend I changed the oil and did full checkup on the F250 diesel. I found it needs front brakes and ball joints. The brakes I will do, but the ball joints I'll let someone else do cause I don't have the special tools. And without those tools they are near impossible.

Another reason I do all the oil changes, is we use all Amsoil synthetic oil in all the vehicles, including some of the farm equipment.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Too cheap and I usually don't trust those interesting looking characters! Not to mention I don't like all the sales pitches while waiting for services that aren't needed or required.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I just changed oil in my wifes car for the last time. The price of oil has skyrocketed. I spent 21.40 on the cheapest decent oil and filter (STP) at Auto Zone. I spilled oil on the garage floor, and ended up with used oil that's a pain to get rid of. She even had a coupon too get it done for 24.99. Those numbers don't add up. Of course the idea is for them to get you in the door but she knows well enough to say no to thier ripoff tactics.
    At least for now anyway I will continue to change it in my truck.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    autozone is a little high on the oil price, but if you have multiple cars you can use their loyalty card and about every 5th oil & filter is free..
    also they take back the used oil.. so getting rid of it is not hard at all..
    watch for oil & filter sales.. i got a gallon of full synthetic plus a K&N filter for $20 a few weeks ago..

Top Bottom