• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPINNDOC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Mink-fur is mo bettah, and not too expensive

The tactic is to led up to the moment. Anticipation makes some events feel like earthquakes when it happens. Back to OP: i've carried 6 zip-ties divided between pockets for over 5 years, and not even serious pat-downs amd pat-ups have discovered them. Yes, I've used them. Make up your own details.

I think I'll just keep mine in the bedroom for now! The hot pink velvet on mine might get dirty if I carry them around to much. I'll stick with take'em down and hog tie them!:hehe:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There is no need for handcuffs for non-LEOs.
    You dont have any power of arrest and you are not here to enforce the law.
    Sure you have "citizen arrest" but you better know what you are doing if you decide to arrest someone as a "citizen arrest".You could be the one going to jail for false imprisonment or wrongful arrest.
    Also the chances of making a "citizen arrest" are so slim that carrying handcuffs everyday on your person is just silly.
    You may as well carry a fire extinguisher on your belt, everyday, because the chances of running into a fire are much higher than the chances of running into a "citizen arrest".
    If your life is not in danger you cannot arrest someone, you would go to jail for kidnapping in most cases.
    If you life is in danger then you goal is to stop the threat, not to arrest the attacker.
    You are not the police, you have no duty to arrest criminals.
    You can stop the threat by either making the attacker run away or by using deadly force and killing the attacker.
    There is nothing in between, either you let the attacker go, alive, or you kill/wound him and let the police and ambulance take care of him.

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    There is no need for handcuffs for non-LEOs.
    You dont have any power of arrest and you are not here to enforce the law.
    Sure you have "citizen arrest" but you better know what you are doing if you decide to arrest someone as a "citizen arrest".You could be the one going to jail for false imprisonment or wrongful arrest.
    Also the chances of making a "citizen arrest" are so slim that carrying handcuffs everyday on your person is just silly.
    You may as well carry a fire extinguisher on your belt, everyday, because the chances of running into a fire are much higher than the chances of running into a "citizen arrest".

If your life is not in danger you cannot arrest someone, you would go to jail for kidnapping in most cases.
    If you life is in danger then you goal is to stop the threat, not to arrest the attacker.
    You are not the police, you have no duty to arrest criminals.
    You can stop the threat by either making the attacker run away or by using deadly force and killing the attacker.
    There is nothing in between, either you let the attacker go, alive, or you kill/wound him and let the police and ambulance take care of him.

Thats kind of hypocritical to say if you do in fact carry a gun. The chances of ever needing a gun are just as slim as needing handcuffs or a fire extinguisher.

And to recap, I am totally against carrying handcuffs.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thats kind of hypocritical to say if you do in fact carry a gun. The chances of ever needing a gun are just as slim as needing handcuffs or a fire extinguisher.

I dont agree with that.
    I think you have more chance of being attacked and needing your gun than you have chance to be in the situation where you could legally make a citizen arrest.
    Many menbers here already used a gun to defend their life (even if they didn't fire a shot), I dont think any of them ever made a citizen arrest or even where in a situation where they could have made one.

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    I dont agree with that.
    I think you have more chance of being attacked and needing your gun than you have chance to be in the situation where you could legally make a citizen arrest.
    Many menbers here already used a gun to defend their life (even if they didn't fire a shot), I dont think any of them ever made a citizen arrest or even where in a situation where they could have made one.

If they had to draw their gun, they feared for their life, meaning technically they had the right to make a citizens arrest. Would you agree with that?

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Besides I believe in Indiana you only have to witness the person committing a felony to be able to make a citizens arrest. Gonna check on that. Im sure you have seen people committing felonies.

Indiana Code 35-33-1-4: Any person may arrest any other person if:
    (1) the other person committed a felony in his presence;
    (2) a felony has been committed and he has probable cause to believe that the other person has committed that felony; or
    (3) a misdemeanor involving a breach of peace is being committed in his presence and the arrest is necessary to prevent the continuance of the breach of peace.
    A person making an arrest under this section shall, as soon as practical, notify a law enforcement officer and deliver custody of the person arrested to a law enforcement officer.
    The law enforcement officer may process the arrested person as if the officer had arrested him. The officer who receives or processes a person arrested by another under this section is not liable for false arrest or false imprisonment.

http://www.crownlaw.com/Kaslaw/crimesa.htm#CArrest

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011

If one was to carry a fire extinguisher...would you recommend OC or concealed? :):

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I think that everyone needs to remember that probably the most used piece of equipment on a belt of any police officer (till recent past) is the handcuffs. It is now the glove pouch because of infectious diseases. Handcuffs are not 100% safe. They are a temporary restraining device. to use these takes practice. Physical practice because people resist, violently. The further you stay away, the better. If you don't practice putting handcuffs on a person a practice what happens when they resist (and they will resist), you will be in deep stuff. People will not turn around and put their hands behind their back for you.

Protect yourself and be a good witness.

Ask any LEO here on the site. It is a good fight trying to handcuff a person who resists..even if you have two officers.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Please remember that most or a good portion of people that get arrested and placed into handcuffs are rather large. Getting their hands behind their back is tricky enough, getting them together is impossible. Does that mean you need to carry two pair? I carry three pair in my car. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Remember as listed above, defend yourself and be a good witness.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Please remember that most or a good portion of people that get arrested and placed into handcuffs are rather large. Getting their hands behind their back is tricky enough, getting them together is impossible. Does that mean you need to carry two pair? I carry three pair in my car. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Remember as listed above, defend yourself and be a good witness.

Have you ever had a guy that big that you need the three pair on him? :dunno:

I guess it depends what model of cuffs you have too, hinged handcuffs keep the hands quite close to eachother, then you have handcuffs with longer chain than others.

Im just curious, I have no experience putting cuffs on someone outside the bedroom. :):

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    2 times I have had experience with handcuffs(no, not in the bedroom or in the back of a police car): While working uniformed security at a night club, a patron walked in and attacked me, punching and kicking. After getting him outside and on the ground, I DID handcuff him. When the police arrived, they didn't even look twice; I did have to remind them to give me my handcuffs back. Time two happened after working that same club, my partner and I were at an all night cafe waiting on our breakfast, when a fight broke out between to 'ladies'. We sat that and watched until the first cop arrived, who motioned for us to assist him. After he handcuffed one 'lady', he ask me to take her out for the other arriving officers. One female cop hotly asked me "Did you handcuff her?" I just shook my head and pointed at the cop inside. They later told me that if I had done so I could have been charged with unlawful detention.
    Don't miss that line of work at all!

Last edited:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I dont carry cuffs for the reason that if I have to use my sidearm, there will no longer be a threat, (just me, eight .45 rounds will probably do it) but if that threat is still moving, cuffs would be nice. BTW, I usually have a couple of zip ties on me. Better than the Gag balls one of my guys carried with him in the Stan.:D That dude was weird!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Have you ever had a guy that big that you need the three pair on him? :dunno:

I guess it depends what model of cuffs you have too, hinged handcuffs keep the hands quite close to eachother, then you have handcuffs with longer chain than others.

Im just curious, I have no experience putting cuffs on someone outside the bedroom. :):

Yes, needed a wagon to transport. Also had a 5'5 135 lb hispanic give two of us a fight that took several minutes to control him (and a taser).

Never did like the hinged. I know, the regular chain cuffs can be broke. The hinged cuff mandates the hands be in perfect lines before they get placed on the person. If you are fighting the person, the chain allows the hands to be in different positions.

Last edited:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    2 times I have had experience with handcuffs(no, not in the bedroom or in the back of a police car): While working uniformed security at a night club, a patron walked in and attacked me, punching and kicking. After getting him outside and on the ground, I DID handcuff him. When the police arrived, they didn't even look twice; I did have to remind them to give me my handcuffs back. Time two happened after working that same club, my partner and I were at an all night cafe waiting on our breakfast, when a fight broke out between to 'ladies'. We sat that and watched until the first cop arrived, who motioned for us to assist him. After he handcuffed one 'lady', he ask me to take her out for the other arriving officers. One female cop hotly asked me "Did you handcuff her?" I just shook my head and pointed at the cop inside. They later told me that if I had done so I could have been charged with unlawful detention.
    Don't miss that line of work at all!

+ 1 for helping the cop.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    There is more to handcuffing besides the physical act. Many officers make the mistake of going hands on with a suspect with the gun in one hand and cuffs in the other..and pay the piper for it.

When teaching officer survival, a fundamental is that if is can be avoided, never to handcuff someone alone. The best thing you can do is cover down while someone else handcuffs.

That said, I don't think it is a good idea for a citizen to attempt to handcuff anyone.- George

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    There is more to handcuffing besides the physical act. Many officers make the mistake of going hands on with a suspect with the gun in one hand and cuffs in the other..and pay the piper for it.

When teaching officer survival, a fundamental is that if is can be avoided, never to handcuff someone alone. The best thing you can do is cover down while someone else handcuffs.

That said, I don't think it is a good idea for a citizen to attempt to handcuff anyone.- George

110% agreed. Most fight with officers happen when being handcuffed. Not a wise thing to do. Be a good witness.

Top Bottom