• Do you EDC extra magazine(s)?

• Total voters

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Just a random thought I had, and I'm curious as to how many people actually carry extra mags with their EDC. Me? I do not, generally. My EDC is a 9mm SW shield, and I feel if I ever need more than the 8+1 it holds for a self defense situation, it would be time to high-tail it out of there! Mostly though, I carry in plain ol' blue jeans and a t-shirt, so the less I have to carry, the better! In winter/cold weather I generally start carrying at least 1 extra magazine.

For simplicities sake I kept it to a simple yes/no, but like me I expect mixed answers and am interested in reasons of why to/not carry a magazine.

Anyways, interested to hear what you all have to say!

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Times are changing too much to believe the Calvary will be there or you will be able to run, before you expend all of your ammo. Eight rounds is probably 1-2 hits in a high stress situation. Not trying to be critical, but just wanted to give you something to think about.

I carry 1-2 extra magazines.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I always carry a spare when I carry my single stack 9mm (8+1).

When I carry my XDm (19+1), I carry an extra mag about half the time.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    My EDC is a Glock 17 so no I don't carry an extra magazine. Personally if I need more than 17+1 in a SD situation it's time for me to high-tail out of the situation.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I carry an extra 13 rounder for my xdm .45. Sometimes I will carry 2 13 rounders if I need to conceal the gun and only have the 9 rounder in.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Yes, I always carry 1 extra magazine regardless of which gun I carry. Just make it part of your everyday routine like grabbing your keys or wallet. I also carry some magazines in my vehicle as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just a random thought I had, and I'm curious as to how many people actually carry extra mags with their EDC. Me? I do not, generally. My EDC is a 9mm SW shield, and I feel if I ever need more than the 8+1 it holds for a self defense situation, it would be time to high-tail it out of there! Mostly though, I carry in plain ol' blue jeans and a t-shirt, so the less I have to carry, the better! In winter/cold weather I generally start carrying at least 1 extra magazine.

My EDC is a Glock 17 so no I don't carry an extra magazine. Personally if I need more than 17+1 in a SD situation it's time for me to high-tail out of the situation.

1. I submit that if one has the option of high-tailing it, then they should have exercised that option before learning that the amount of ammunition they chose to carry was sufficient or not.
    2. No one can know how many rounds it will take to solve any given problem. It might be the number you have or less. It will be between zero and more than you have. More is better than less unless you're trying to swim.
    3. Everyone can miss under stress, even at ridiculously close range, even a lot of times. It's not just NYC cops. Refer back to #2.
    4. Needing to reload after running dry is not the only reason one should carry an extra magazine. Magazines are the most likely cause of a malfunction in an otherwise functional firearm. Having additional magazines could be the difference between one shot and enough.
    5. I don't advocate that people carry everything I carry, but if you're going to carry a handgun for defense, I believe that at least one readily accessible reload and a powerful flashlight are as essential as the gun itself or the knowledge and skill to be able to use it (or not) effectively and appropriately in an emergency.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Redundancy, or as the military teaches us, two is one and one is none.

If I had a pistol that carried 200+1, I'd carry a spare 200 round magazine. Not because I have foresight as to how much ammo I need. Truthfully, some of you carry more ammo in one magazine than I carry in two. I do so because the magazine is a point of failure. Followers can stick, base plates can fall off, springs can break, and none of those are something a malfunction drill will fix. The only option is changing magazines or loading rounds manually into the chamber one at a time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Redundancy, or as the military teaches us, two is one and one is none.

If I had a pistol that carried 200+1, I'd carry a spare 200 round magazine. Not because I have foresight as to how much ammo I need. Truthfully, some of you carry more ammo in one magazine than I carry in two. I do so because the magazine is a point of failure. Followers can stick, base plates can fall off, springs can break, and none of those are something a malfunction drill will fix. The only option is changing magazines or loading rounds manually into the chamber one at a time.

Amen!

The facial expression that people have when the basepad fails on their magazine and speed-unloads their gun is unique and entertaining (as long as it's not in a serious situation). It's especially fun when the individual previously believed that it could never happen with their trusty firearm.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Amen!

The facial expression that people have when the basepad fails on their magazine and speed-unloads their gun is unique and entertaining (as long as it's not in a serious situation). It's especially fun when the individual previously believed that it could never happen with their trusty firearm.

Are those magazines often heavily used and rather old or are they either/or?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oader-revolver.html?highlight=extra+magazines

Glock 19 9mm 15+1 with two 17 round mags for a total of 50 rounds. Do I think I will ever need all of that absolutely not but one is none, two is one, three is two :D I think you should at least carry one mag just for the simple fact if you have a malfunction. Most malfunctions can be easily fixed with just a simple mag change.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are those magazines often heavily used and rather old or are they either/or?

When it happened to me, it was a well-used mag. I can't speculate on the others I've witnessed. With Glocks, it's less likely to happen with the standard base pads, but the +2 pads (especially factory Glock) are notorious for the speed unload. It's less of a concern with metal magazines with metal basepads.

Top Bottom