• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If I am dressed, and it is lawful to carry, I am carrying. So, yes: when I am home, and dressed, I'm carrying. Not only do I carry at home from an always-be-prepared perspective, but I have also found it to be very useful in normalizing my children to the presence and proximity of firearms. My normal method of carry is OWB with a concealing outer shirt, but when at home, I'm often just in a tshirt, without the outer shirt to conceal. So, if I go out to grill dinner, there is every chance that a neighbor may also see me carrying - as well as any of the kids at the playground directly across the street from our house. (Though I doubt any of them have taken time away from their basketball games to notice what the OFWG might or might not have on her person.)

Normalization of gun carry is a big part of why I tend to OC around the house. My neighbors have known me for decades. They know that they can count on me if they need a tool, help around the house or in an emergency. I'd like to believe that knowing who I am and knowing that I carry makes them look at guns a bit differently.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Normalization of gun carry is a big part of why I tend to OC around the house. My neighbors have known me for decades. They know that they can count on me if they need a tool, help around the house or in an emergency. I'd like to believe that knowing who I am and knowing that I carry makes them look at guns a bit differently.

Open carried on my driveway all weekend, while breaking in a new smoker. Nobody cared: not the neighbor kid, or her friends, not the people walking dogs, or out for an evening stroll, not the teens playing basketball across the street.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Fight between neighbors ends in gunfire in Johnson County - Crime News - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Wonder what INGO usernames were involved.

Not REALLY sure what to make of this, yet.

The news article was rather sparse, which is what they all are, given that every news outlet wants to get the immediate scoop and follow-up is done only if the case is particularly salacious.

It is not surprising that the participant who can still talk (assuming the other guy in ICU can't) tells his side, and it is, not surprisingly, favorable to him. Doesn't hurt that he has relatives that seem to make themselves available to the media.

All that being said, T.Lex is right; too early to know what to make of it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    See....this is exactly what I mean. It's no wonder my house never gets dusted and the grass needs mowed. :runaway:

New fancy mower. That'll get it done. Neighbor across the street made his kids mow the lawn when it got too high. Then he bought a brand new shiny green ZTR. Now he proudly mows like 3 times a week whether it needs it or not. And it's been two seasons of that. I have to say, that's some serious sticker pride.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    New fancy mower. That'll get it done. Neighbor across the street made his kids mow the lawn when it got too high. Then he bought a brand new shiny green ZTR. Now he proudly mows like 3 times a week whether it needs it or not. And it's been two seasons of that. I have to say, that's some serious sticker pride.

A new mower will NEVER happen here. I have my $5 farm sale toro push mower (bought about 15 years ago) for trimming and the old Simplicity (early 90's vintage) or the even older Ariens to pick from for the rest of the acreage. I used the Ariens for the first time a couple of weeks ago because the homemade leaf sucker invention is still mounted on the Simplicity. I may have to mow again this week because we have company coming to visit on Sunday. Hubby mopped the kitchen today while I was out helping the neighbor so he gets points for that. I think he is going fishing Saturday with a friend so that will be my mowing day. We buy NOTHING new here other than some appliances. He can fix just about anything so things have to be REALLY DEAD before we replace them.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A new mower will NEVER happen here.

My kids used to laugh at my old mower. It had the engine from one, the body from another, and the handle bar from a third. And, since the controls on the handle were on the opposite sides from the body, I had to put the handle on upside down. Also, I had to put the motor on a different way and the exhaust ended up pointing right at me, so I got some threaded pipe with a couple elbows to make it go out the side. At one point, the elbow got loose that the muffler rotated down against the body and the kids said it made it sound like a helicopter. They called it the Frankenstein mower.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    I carry from the time I wake until I go to bed. I never even notice I have it on. I have children so I figure the only place one of my weapons should be is on me or in a safe.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    There's no problems with neighbors that can't be resolved with OC lawn mowing.

I generally carry at home whenever I have to cover my junk. So when I'm outside grilling or mowing or whatever, I am usually OCing too. If the junior hoodlum league around my house thinks I'm a psycho white man, great! Keep them out of my yard.

I would carry IN my house more often but:
    1: If I'm home, I strip to my boxers and they don't hold a weapon very well.
    2: My weapons are in the back of the house and that's not where someone will be breaking in. So I figure I'm good to fall back and grab the AR and fill them full of extra holes. AND! The next house over in that direction is vacant so less chance of overpenetration mattering! :D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here's a reason to carry while sitting on your porch.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/07121701pc.pdf

Around 11:30 p.m. on August 10, 2014, Jeremy Kohn was sitting on the porch of his Bloomfield home with his girlfriend, Kylee Bateman. The pair observed a man twice approach a neighbor’s house, knock on the door or ring the doorbell, and walk away. Kohn thought he recognized the man from school, but could not remember his name. About five minutes after that, the man defendant Michael Miller—casually strolled up to Kohn and Bateman, as if to ask a question. As Kohn turned to ask Bateman if she knew the man, Miller grabbed Kohn’s left arm and cut him around the throat with a pocketknife. Miller said nothing, and then calmly walked away. The cut was not deep, but it required over forty stitches to close. Had the cut been slightly deeper, it could have caused injury posing a risk of death.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll spare you folks the yesterday picture of me covered in mud and rotten hay from head to toe. Barefoot weeding/mulching the garden in shorts and a Duluth wife beater kinda covering the G19 and Cubby Fatboy.

Top Bottom