• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "Of course it scares me," said Sean, one of the victims neighbors. "Even though I have a gun at my house, my own gun, I don't think I would've been able to walk and get it by the time I opened the door and someone's pointing a gun at my face."

I hope the people who choose to position weapons in their home instead of carrying on their person have made a realistic assessment of how long it will really take them to react and move to the weapon, acquire it, and take necessary actions with it.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    "Of course it scares me," said Sean, one of the victims neighbors. "Even though I have a gun at my house, my own gun, I don't think I would've been able to walk and get it by the time I opened the door and someone's pointing a gun at my face."

Walk and get your gun?!? Sheesh!

ETA: Scooped by the purple pachy!
    Even a gun on you isn't of much help if you have a gun pointed at your face before you know what is going on. Maybe look before you open the door?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hope the people who choose to position weapons in their home instead of carrying on their person have made a realistic assessment of how long it will really take them to react and move to the weapon, acquire it, and take necessary actions with it.

I remember way back when I used to laugh at rhino for saying such stuff.

"Within arm's reach" is only when in bed or the shower now days.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Seems like both would give a person more options. Carrying a backup as well as primary can give you more options. Positioning weapons in the home might add a few more options to that in narrower circumstances. If one has the resources, why not?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seems like both would give a person more options. Carrying a backup as well as primary can give you more options. Positioning weapons in the home might add a few more options to that in narrower circumstances. If one has the resources, why not?

Your theory is good until folks start getting lazy. Next thing you know, they are sprinkled everywhere. Then it's back to "within arms reach," which rarely is.

If your sidearm is always on you, there is no second thought about where your arms need to reach to find "arm's reach."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Your theory is good until folks start getting lazy. Next thing you know, they are sprinkled everywhere. Then it's back to "within arms reach," which rarely is.

Agreed. But you have to admit there's a certain lure to the thought of guns "sprinkled" everywhere.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Agreed. But you have to admit there's a certain lure to the thought of guns "sprinkled" everywhere.

You don't have to tell me. I just went around and locked up all the sprinkles so a grandson could hang out. :)
    The one on the hip is still on the hip.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You don't have to tell me. I just went around and locked up all the sprinkles so a grandson could hang out. :)
    The one on the hip is still on the hip.
    LOL, they popped in on us unexpected a week or two ago. I had 2 sitting on the chair side table and another on the kitchen table to grab and run.
    I try to keep all of them put away but they get away from you after awhile.

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Like many others, I take mine off when I get home, however I do have guns hidden strategically all over the house so I can have one in hand in a few seconds. I definitely understand the reasoning behind why people do, but I'm also usually wearing gym shorts at home which won't really support a gun.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    As others have stated if they have on pants they are armed and so am I. I generally carry all the time, everywhere legal. U have never been robbed but I have read enough stories about those that had home invasions and could not get to weapons they had staged around the house. So to alleviate that problem I carry at home. I also look at it another way. The pistol I am carrying is the only loaded and chambered weapon in the house, and by it being on my person I have full control of it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Not for me.

I ever tell you about the guy who who had so many guns in the house it took roughly two hours to clear them all? He sprinkled pretty liberally, including hidden under tables, etc. Died in his boxers in his doorway. Someone he knew apparently decided to off him, gut shot him then when he fell stood over him and fired several more into his face.

Sometimes "sprinkling" works, sometimes it doesn't. I carry around the house. If I'm just in pajamas, I have an LCR in my pocket. If I'm dressed suitable to go outside, I have an outside gun on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Like many others, I take mine off when I get home, however I do have guns hidden strategically all over the house so I can have one in hand in a few seconds. I definitely understand the reasoning behind why people do, but I'm also usually wearing gym shorts at home which won't really support a gun.

My jammies/lounge pants/shorts are sweats or sweat shorts with pockets. They have enough of a belt to hold up a G43 in a clip AIWB holster or superfly pocket holster.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'm a youngin. But it only took one stranger ringing the doorbell at 7am one morning while we were all getting ready for the day to brighten my eyes.
    We live in Lizton, population 1,000. Better, we live off the beaten path where our closest neighbor is a 1/4 mile away. We own an 8 acre lot, the smallest lot of everyone around us who typically own 25+ acres. Two dogs, neither barked. The only reason I heard him from my office was when he got back into his car and pulled away (with some tuner exhaust).

Wife had answered the door, and he inquired about whether some 'John' lived here because he'd met him the night before at a party and John told him this was his address.

And yes, we were all in our pj's, doing the morning routine, getting ready for the day. Not one chance in hell we could have gotten to a firearm or knife in time.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I carrier a Glock 19 in gym shorts all the time. Wrap the belt around your waist and clip on the holster.

AF9B566B-5BAC-43D8-9B7A-3A7802373712_zpsqqy7shty.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

At some point, options might be a hindrance. If you stash them, when a problem arises you have to process where you are, what is nearby, which one is closest, which one do you really want, etc. It makes sense as a backup to what you have on you, or a a fall-back plan if what you have doesn't help you solve the problem and you are alive for plan B or plan C.

If your sidearm is always on you, there is no second thought about where your arms need to reach to find "arm's reach."

Yep. And you don't have to think about where you are and what to grab.

Not for me.

I ever tell you about the guy who who had so many guns in the house it took roughly two hours to clear them all? He sprinkled pretty liberally, including hidden under tables, etc. Died in his boxers in his doorway. Someone he knew apparently decided to off him, gut shot him then when he fell stood over him and fired several more into his face.

Sometimes "sprinkling" works, sometimes it doesn't. I carry around the house. If I'm just in pajamas, I have an LCR in my pocket. If I'm dressed suitable to go outside, I have an outside gun on.

My jammies/lounge pants/shorts are sweats or sweat shorts with pockets. They have enough of a belt to hold up a G43 in a clip AIWB holster or superfly pocket holster.

I carrier a Glock 19 in gym shorts all the time. Wrap the belt around your waist and clip on the holster.

EXCELLENT!

Mission drives the gear.

A small concession to less comfort is worth it to me.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I suffer from hypervigilance. I have to work very hard to stave it off. Right or wrong, I decompress at home and generally don't carry while at home. Is it a risk? Yes, a low one. But having a moment to unplug is WAY more valuable to me. I do carry while I'm out and about but I actually don't mind being unarmed when I fly. I actually envy Canadian coppers who don't carry off-duty, nor want to, they see no need. They are truly off-duty when they are off, unlike us many times. I can tell you that hypervigilance is a beast that will mentally eat away at you, bit by bit until one day you do not even recognize yourself.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I was robbed at home Sunday afternoon while not wearing pants.

Watching TV with the wife while wearing a kilt to air out the boys after a hard bike ride. See this kid in uniform walking up to the door. At first I thought it was a brown shirted Hitler youth but when he got closer I determined he was in training and still wearing the blue uniform. He did have the kerchief around his neck so he could quickly hide his face like Antifa. I took my handgun off the coffee table and set it on the table by the front door (out of sight) when I answered the doorbell.

This little kid gives me a sheet of paper showing my options for paying extortion. Mom was watching the junior Hitler youth from the sidewalk and there was a strange pickup in the street. I selected my extortion level and the kids goes out the truck to get my contraband.

I hand the kid $12 and he hands me a $2 bag of caramel corn. After the transaction my wife informed me that I got robbed. Then she proceeded to take the bag of caramel corn and eat all the evidence so I did not bother calling 911.

At home I normally do not carry but have a weapon ready at arms length. We also keep the door alarms set while at home and lock the garage door if working outside. Depending on the nature of work I am doing I do not always carry while working outside although have been more and more.

This is what I do when not wearing pants in public, for instance a kilt on Saint Patrick's day. Works very well.

Top Bottom