Do you carry a full magazine + one in the chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you top off a magazine after putting a round into the chamber?

• Total voters
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have several magazines for each semi-auto I own. It is easy to load a gun from a magazine that only has one in it. then I put in the magazine that I usually carry. That way only one bullet gets chewed up and it is always the one in the tube. If you unload your gun, just put that bullet in the empty magazine to reload from.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    You really should look into how bad that damages extractors. It's not good for them at all. Also, according to you, your vote should have been yes, because you're still carrying a full load plus one in the tube.

+1

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    How much are you guys playing with your guns that you have to constantly do this?
    ^^^this^^^

I've carried a semi auto for quite a few years, and other than range trips, the one in the pipe stays in the pipe for up to a few weeks at a time. If it's an issue of having small kids around, then lock it up in a safe when you're not carrying it.

I treat every gun as if it is loaded, mainly because most of mine ARE always loaded.

The more you jack with it, the more your chances of something bad happening go through the roof.

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    You really should look into how bad that damages extractors. It's not good for them at all.
    I guess I never really thought about that. I was concerned about the casing getting damaged, but I guess I would rather toss a round than replace an extractor. I don't do it all that often though. I don't shoot my EDC every time I go to the range, so I probably only shoot it maybe once every 2-3 months.

Also, according to you, your vote should have been yes, because you're still carrying a full load plus one in the tube.

From what I read, the question at the top of the poll was "Do you top off a magazine after putting a round into the chamber?", therefore the answer is (was) no.:)

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    How much are you guys playing with your guns that you have to constantly do this?
    :dunno:
    I like to clean mine to keep the dust/lint out of it fairly often.
    Also aren't you supposed to practice your draw/presentation often? I don't like doing that with live rounds in my home. Snap caps seem a better way to practice. Can't always make it to a range, let alone one that allows practice with a draw. So sometimes you are stuck just practicing what you can.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    :dunno:
    I like to clean mine to keep the dust/lint out of it fairly often.
    Also aren't you supposed to practice your draw/presentation often? I don't like doing that with live rounds in my home. Snap caps seem a better way to practice. Can't always make it to a range, let alone one that allows practice with a draw. So sometimes you are stuck just practicing what you can.
    Just practicing isn't going to cause you to re-rack a round enough times to do damage to the round. :dunno:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Not to thread jack, but...

You really wear body armor on a daily basis during regular life? (disregard if you're talking about while you're on duty as a leo or something...)

Usually, yes. I have fallen into the "it's too hot to wear it today" rut lately, but generally I do wear one. Just peace of mind, I guess. I feel fine not wearing it, but I feel more comfortable with it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    It just seems weird to load the gun and pop out the magazine to put in another round. I don't know, maybe I'm the weird one here and that is a realistic posibility. :D
    I lock the slide back, drop a round in the chamber, close the slide and then insert the magazine. Maybe I'm doing it wrong:dunno:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I lock the slide back, drop a round in the chamber, close the slide and then insert the magazine. Maybe I'm doing it wrong:dunno:
    I mean, it's all in how you want to do it. Just be mindful that you will need to replace your extractor sooner than those that load from the magazine.

Extractors are made to accept the rim of the bullet as the round is being brought from the magazine. When you do it your way, you're essentially forcing the extractor OVER the rim, instead of allowing it to just line up during the process.

AHSecurity

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I always carry a FULLY loaded gun, and have a spare mag as well. I would be so hard on myself (if i were still alive lol) if i went to all the trouble to carry a gun and ended up running out of ammo and the perp "won". for me it would be like buying a 4X4 truck capable of getting me where i need to go no matter what and then filling its 30gal gas tank with never more than 28gal of fuel.... Why?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    i have to top the gun off. When I carry an auto it is a Glock 23. So it has 13 round mags. Can't carry a gun with 13 rounds, that is just silly and asking for bad luck. So I top off.

Now if I ever carried my Sig P226 which has a 12 round mag. :n00b:

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I dont even carry a full magazine. I carry a G19 with 12 rounds in the magazine and no I don't usually carry the spare magazine either.
    When I eventually get some new gear I will carry the spare magazine then.

Top Bottom