Do you carry a full magazine + one in the chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you top off a magazine after putting a round into the chamber?

• Total voters

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Actually no. For most of my career I carried a revolver (often two), so when policy required me to switch to a pistol, eight rounds seemed like a bunch, Then too, I noticed when loaded with 8 rounds, the top round often sat up at a greater angle.... lookrd like maybe a reliability issue, so I just don't. I still to this day trust a revolver over a pistol.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Billybob, not sure why you're so confident that it's only on internal extractors that it will damage but I have had more than a few armorers that I've seen berate people for loading glocks in that manner because it will damage the extractor.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Having to put the last rnd in my 16 mag is usually the hardest (brand new). Having to do it twice is rough. I'm new to this, and haven't had one in the chamber except @ the range. Loading is getting a bit easier after 138 rnds. CZ 75 BD.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I keep my mags full, plus on some pistols I carry the mags don't hold that many rounds, such as my Detonics, so 1 round makes a big difference.

Dave

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    To be honest I didn't think it was a big deal to do it. If anything it kinda seemed pointless because it is just one round. Yeah yeah yeah flame me but it really doesn't seem that important and if anything it poses a safety issue only because the more you're handling a loaded gun, the more likely something could go wrong IMO and take it FWIW. Lock the slide back, slap in a mag, ride the slide forward, and deposit in holster.

Legitimate question, you guys who carry extra ammo and top off magazines after you chamber a round, do you train to top off magazines in the heat of the moment and under stress? :dunno:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    If you're chambering a round, you shouldn't "ride" the slide forward. Let it go full force. It's what the firearm is designed to do.

Secondly, I don't think anyone would top off a mag in the heat of the moment as you said. I'm assuming you mean like a home invasion and for some reason you don't have a loaded gun. In that case, I think time is much more of a concern than one round. Normally though, it's worth the time, just not if someone is beating down your door.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Legitimate question, you guys who carry extra ammo and top off magazines after you chamber a round, do you train to top off magazines in the heat of the moment and under stress? :dunno:

No, you wouldn't top off under stress, that is nuts. Hopefully, you finished them off with that last round in your mag. Good thing you topped off the mag in the gun.

js24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Why the hell wouldn't you? Just like carrying a rubber, you may never need it, but when you do, you'll sure as hell be glad you had it. I'd rather have too much than not enough, especially in this case.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    BTW, fully loading your mag doesnt damage the springs (at least on modern firearms)... its the constant loading/unloading over LONG periods of time that can reduce the pressure. All my mags are always loaded to full capacity.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm really surprised at the number of people that don't carry at full capacity. To each their own, but I didn't think the number would be that high.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I have to ask. Yes I am gullible. Are you serious or just messing with us? Why would you not load the mag full? If you only own 12 hollow points you can always just load 3 FMJ as your last three. Or better yet buy another box of cartridges.

I have enough to load it fully I just don't. My wife and a few friends we all shoot ( for the fun of it ) Bullseye and in doing so you only load 5 rounds in a magazine. Maybe this is why it seems to me that 12 is a God's plenty?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have enough to load it fully I just don't. My wife and a few friends we all shoot ( for the fun of it ) Bullseye and in doing so you only load 5 rounds in a magazine. Maybe this is why it seems to me that 12 is a God's plenty?

12 should be plenty shur nuff. ;) But think about it like this, if somebody ever decides to do your family harm the only thing between them and the bad guy might be you. What is between the bad guy and you is your front sight and what is in the gun. 12 might be enough but having 15 certainly won't hurt your chances. Practical Handgun Skills is more then just punching paper.

Top Bottom