Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, and this:
    Dinosaur asteroid hit 'worst possible place' - BBC News

It is becoming clear that the 15km-wide asteroid could not have hit a worse place on Earth.
    Had the asteroid struck a different location, the outcome might have been very different.
    "This is where we get to the great irony of the story – because in the end it wasn’t the size of the asteroid, the scale of blast, or even its global reach that made dinosaurs extinct – it was where the impact happened," said Ben Garrod, who presents The Day The Dinosaurs Died with Alice Roberts.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Watching the Science Channel and they're discussing the end of our sun and solar system.
    When our sun explodes it's the end of our solar system.
    The remains will be flung into space and OUR remains will be out in space possibly re-seeding the universe with our life elements.

A really good scifi flick. Lots of physics/technical "gotchas" but a very visually exciting film.

[video=youtube_share;r8BSlqHAhuY]http://youtu.be/r8BSlqHAhuY[/video]

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    When the slide rule cats examined the angle and location of impact my reaction was oh wow now that's excellent marksmanship.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In other news, Kepler (the telescope, not the astronomer) has identified another dozen or so exoplanets in their respective goldilocks zones. So, t'will be interesting to see how the other data points map out in terms of tidal orbits of moons, presence of water and nitrogen, etc.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I firmly believe in there to life somewhere out there. Its to just vast an amount of real estate for there to be nothing else. The universe is an unfathomable amount of space so I would say just shear chance there would be something else. No whether we'll actually see or find them or they find us (which I think its probably they've already found us) is another story due to the distance it would take for a more advanced civilization to make contact. The shear numbers alone makes the idea plausible, the Drake Equation is a good look at how those numbers may stack up.... https://astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/77/77.html

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I firmly believe in there to life somewhere out there. Its to just vast an amount of real estate for there to be nothing else. The universe is an unfathomable amount of space so I would say just shear chance there would be something else. No whether we'll actually see or find them or they find us (which I think its probably they've already found us) is another story due to the distance it would take for a more advanced civilization to make contact. The shear numbers alone makes the idea plausible, the Drake Equation is a good look at how those numbers may stack up.... https://astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/77/77.html

Yeah, this was discussed elsewhere around here recently.

The mathematical issue with the Drake equation is that we're also finding more variability in the universe.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yeah, this was discussed elsewhere around here recently.

The mathematical issue with the Drake equation is that we're also finding more variability in the universe.

Sorry I couldn't bring myself to read through 39 pages ha ha ha. I just think it lends itself to some good discussion. Makes things a little bit more real when you can put a figured behind something...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

This has been discussed a lot lately on the Discovery channels, Untold secrets of the universe, etc.
    It's most likely the main reason I started the thread. I'm not convinced there's other life and won't be until I get hit upside the head by one of them. My luck is I'll probably get ***** slapped by a midget alien in front of my friends.

Top Bottom