Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking that bet would have to have a time frame to it.

I'm of the mindset that life, perhaps intelligent, has existed in the universe prior to life ever existing on Earth. Hundreds or thousands of civilizations could have already formed, lived out thousands of generations, and gone extinct... perhaps many times over.

And such life may be around, right now, simultaneous to our own tiny blip on the universe timeline (it's incredibly tiny... like... you can't see it. We, humanity, have occupied such an abysmal part of time it's scary to think about).

And such life will likely form and live and be eons ahead, after ours is completely over... until whatever ends up being the death of all that is (heat death, perhaps).

So... yeah. I'll put $100 down on that. Because none of it matters.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I'm thinking that bet would have to have a time frame to it.

10 years. We have several new rover missions going to Mars and James Webb goes up next year. If neither has revealed anything by 2027 then life may still be out there but it's going to be a lot more rare than most scientists think it is right now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm of the mindset that life, perhaps intelligent, has existed in the universe prior to life ever existing on Earth. Hundreds or thousands of civilizations could have already formed, lived out thousands of generations, and gone extinct... perhaps many times over.

And such life may be around, right now, simultaneous to our own tiny blip on the universe timeline (it's incredibly tiny... like... you can't see it. We, humanity, have occupied such an abysmal part of time it's scary to think about).

And such life will likely form and live and be eons ahead, after ours is completely over... until whatever ends up being the death of all that is (heat death, perhaps).

So... yeah. I'll put $100 down on that. Because none of it matters.

Who's gonna hold it for you? Can he/she keep it after you're gone?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Wouldn't it be awful if aliens did come to earth, and they were nice, friendly, and super-intelligent, but were also really, really annoying?

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    So many small minds. But... the "book" tells us we are alone, so it must be true.
    People are stuck on what is believed to have happened on this planet, and others believe our solar system, or even our galaxy, is as far as the universe reaches.
    Get off the gun forum and read a book of value, do some research, estimate the mathematical possibilities.
    Or... spend your life on the internet and live in a bubble. People are lazy and programmed. To blatantly say there is no possibility is completely narcissistic. Perhaps the pedestal is too short.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having to stop in and leave a note for you folks to keep it Civil.
    There are some not so thinly veiled slams in a few of the posts.
    If you have nothing to share beyond snark then do not share it.

Carry on.

-CM-

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Wouldn't it be awful if aliens did come to earth, and they were nice, friendly, and super-intelligent, but were also really, really annoying?

I hope this post wasn't taken as being directed toward anyone. It was just a thought that I had, since most of the time we think of aliens coming to Earth and either trying to kill or enslave all the humans, or to grace us with awesome technology and cure all of our diseases. I just thought it would be a funny possibility if they were neither, but more like we didn't love them or hate them, but just really ended up feeling kind of a let-down.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I hope this post wasn't taken as being directed toward anyone. It was just a thought that I had, since most of the time we think of aliens coming to Earth and either trying to kill or enslave all the humans, or to grace us with awesome technology and cure all of our diseases. I just thought it would be a funny possibility if they were neither, but more like we didn't love them or hate them, but just really ended up feeling kind of a let-down.

Nah, I think you're good. There's a post up the page a bit that could be taken as snarky. Wasn't yours.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So many small minds. But... the "book" tells us we are alone, so it must be true.
    People are stuck on what is believed to have happened on this planet, and others believe our solar system, or even our galaxy, is as far as the universe reaches.
    Get off the gun forum and read a book of value, do some research, estimate the mathematical possibilities.
    Or... spend your life on the internet and live in a bubble. People are lazy and programmed. To blatantly say there is no possibility is completely narcissistic. Perhaps the pedestal is too short.

You might consider reading the book you think says what you said it says. You'd be surprised that it doesn't actually say that. It's silent on life elsewhere. I addressed that here and here. You might also read a few replies to those posts to get an idea of what other Christians think about that. You might even sample more posts than what you've apparently read so far. The people posting in this thread on both sides are lot smarter than you think.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

All good.
    That post was actually amusing.
    Jamil nailed it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Except for the KJV I guess my favorite alien book was one read in childhood, "Pilgrimage: The Book Of The People".
    No one eyed one horned flying purple Sigourney Weaver eaters, just people trying to keep a low pro and get along.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Watching the Science Channel and they're discussing the end of our sun and solar system.
    When our sun explodes it's the end of our solar system.
    The remains will be flung into space and OUR remains will be out in space possibly re-seeding the universe with our life elements.

Top Bottom