• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Previous department required a badge next to your pistol if it was visible off-duty. Indy has no such policy. However, during our firearms inservice, off-duty qualification will ALWAYS be from a CC position. OC for an off-duty officer here in Indy is very rare if not going to court. So much so, you will likely get your balls busted about it by fellow officers or supervisors. Might as well wear a t-shirt with "police" on it, most people see an OCer here in Indy and assume your LEO. In uniform, we become the center of attention where ever we go. Be it the "he did it" joke at every food joint or the obvious glares from customers at the local gas station. It's part of the job. However, when off, I want to be so far away from attention that no one will even give me a second glance or feel the need to strike up a conversation.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Per SOP's we are required to CC as well.... I do OC when heading to the range and I display my badge on the belt so I don't draw extra attention or cause panic. When I was a "rookie" I OC'd once while turning in some paperwork when off duty. After leaving station, I received a page to return and meet with the police chief! I was squared away so to speak :)

Ah, yes--a "vision honing" session. :D

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    :ugh: and :bs:

OMG all those cops in uniform have no fighting chance!:runaway:

This is the dumbest reason people use who are pro oc. I am not pro or against oc, but trying to justify it by saying cops oc is just ridiculous. You dont think the spiffy uniform and shiny badge give away the fact they are carrying? Whats the point for them to cc on duty.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Does it make a difference to a BG if a cop is OC while on duty and OC when off duty? The on-duty guy has near instant back-up at his beck and call. "Officer down" will bring a truck load of hurt down on the dumb fool who takes down a uniformed cop. But if the BG has a go at an off-duty cop, the guy (or gal) probably does not have the instant call button (the LEO version of "I've fallen and can't get up!). Seems to me for a cop to OC while off duty, with his badge showing, is a recipe for a bad day.

If I was one of the BGs, an off-duty OC badge-showing cop would be a more attractive target than an on-duty guy. I think it far wiser for the off-duty guy/gal to either CC or conceal the badge. No sense in painting a target on your chest—unless you just want to issue the challenge.

Disclaimer: No threat of any kind implied. Just thinking hypothetically. Stay safe guys, and gals. We need you on the line. Thanks for your service.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Something I've noticed a lot of lately is IWB with tucked in shirt. No badge visible, just the grip of a baby Glock sticking out of the waistband. Saw this last weekend at my kids football game at PMMS.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    SOP says carry is to be "discreet," which I interpret to be CC, and carry is optional unless operating a department vehicle. We're also restricted in terms of type and caliber of weapon, whether we have a permit or not.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Our off duty holster is OC, but sop says we have to CC :dunno:

I just take it as the gun must be covered by a shirt, which I hardly consider CC.

Personal preference is to CC anyway, Its not about them not seeing the gun, its more about people that assume LEO when OC and asking, which turns into a 20 min conversation.
    On a side note, not all LEO's care that you OC your 44mag in miejer, Nor do they want to hear you preach about 2A rights for 20 min. We have stuff to do too ya know...:n00b:
    /rant
    That guy HAD to be an INgoer :laugh:

Top Bottom