• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Do Indiana LEO's get flagged that someone has a LTCH when running someones DL/State ID? I'd imagine the info can be obtained w/o much issue if needed, but I'm curious if its actually attatched to our DL/ID. I've always been under the impression it was not, but I've found others who say it is.

Thanks

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Not in Indiana they don't. I have that on authority of more than a few local Hamilton Co. police officers. I have heard that some states may have that ability, but not in the great state of Indiana.

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    if they have my DL or ID they have my Carry Permit.

You're taking the question out of context, I always hand over my permit w/ my DL also. It was just a discussion I was having. TN law is irrelevant.

daniel.. thanks for the comments...

Any actual LEO's that can confirm what daniel has said.. its not that I doubt him, what he says, is what I've always understood to be the case.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    It has been mentioned in other threads that (at least some) Indiana LEO have access to look at the LTCH database and can pull this information, but it is apparently separate from the driver's license database.

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    It has been mentioned in other threads that (at least some) Indiana LEO have access to look at the LTCH database and can pull this information, but it is apparently separate from the driver's license database.

Bingo, thats what I was looking for. I was almost sure that was the case. It only makes sense they can look at the database, so they can see if a permit is valid, etc..

Thanks

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    Departments that have Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems have the LTCH information for their local area. So, if a deputy in Delaware County stops a driver for a traffic violation and provides the dispatcher the DL information for a records check, then the LTCH permit will be displayed (flashes on the screen). A good dispatcher will relay this information. That is why when the officer returns, they will commonly ask you if you have any weapons in the vehicle (at least I did).

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Interesting.......

I have never been asked about weapons when pulled over, nor have I been asked to produce my LTCH, about which I volunteer nothing.

I've always been curious about this issue.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I recall this matter being discussed here on INGO in detail (at least once) a few months ago. The consensus is that there is no electronic data base of all Indiana license holders that is accessible by police officers.

HOWEVER, at least one county collects the names of those who are issued licenses through that county's sheriff's department (and perhaps with the cooperation of one or more local police departments) and has used that information to create a database of license holders who applied in that county. The sheriff's deputies in that county (and perhaps police officers of one or more police departments) can access the database either via MDTs or via dispatch.

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    No! When I run a drivers license check on an individual, there is no LTCH info on that return. My advise is to give the LEO your license and your LTCH if you get stopped. I appreciate when people do that. It's when I look in a see a gun that I get concerned. We LEO's (most of us) like to see people who are armed and legal.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    i'm no leo....nor do i play one on tv....but, i can say that they do have access to some kind of data bank somewhere...i was riding my motorcycle with a couple of buddies after work....they where patch holders...(i am not)....when they pulled me over for handlebars being 15'' over my seat..(which will not be illegal after 7-1-10)...1st thing out of his mouth was..."wheres your gun"...i was like uhhh...told him my gun was on my right side...his words next was.."keep hands on the handlebars"...noooo problemmmm....osifer!..he ticket me for handlebars....but he did know i had a gun and LTCH..

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I recall this matter being discussed here on INGO in detail (at least once) a few months ago. The consensus is that there is no electronic data base of all Indiana license holders that is accessible by police officers.

The Indiana State Police have control of that data base, and can be verified through them.

I was doing a FTF transaction with another member here last year and we had a IMPD stop because he said we looked "Suspicious", officer called in for our permit info to verify it.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    The local Chief LEO put mine in the county system after I fingerprinted for my LTCH. When a officer would run my name, in the info bar right next to my name(first thing that comes up) It said GUNS/POSS. GUNS ON PERSON. I seen it with my own eyes. Since every dept in the county uses the same system they all would be able to see it. In the future I can see all the computers statewide having the same info. My name no longer has that next to it.....

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    If your LTCH is issued by Allen County Sheriff's Office it will come up in their system if they run your DL. IIRC Fort Wayne PD also has access to this. This is something the COUNTY put into place not the state. I'm sure more counties will start doing this also.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    If your LTCH is issued by Allen County Sheriff's Office it will come up in their system if they run your DL. IIRC Fort Wayne PD also has access to this. This is something the COUNTY put into place not the state. I'm sure more counties will start doing this also.

Evansville City and Vanderburgh County are the same way, if your license is issued there then it will come up on their computers if they run your name.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    That this question is asked is proof why there should be no permit to exercise our rights. Let the everyone think everyone or noone is armed, at their peril. One politely treats a man carrying a gun.

Top Bottom