• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    No! When I run a drivers license check on an individual, there is no LTCH info on that return. My advise is to give the LEO your license and your LTCH if you get stopped. I appreciate when people do that. It's when I look in a see a gun that I get concerned. We LEO's (most of us) like to see people who are armed and legal.

Sorry, not showing anyone anything I'm not required to show them. This really makes no sense. If you have a lawful citizen carrying the firearm, what difference does it make if they're armed. The armed criminal, who WOULD be cause for concern, is NEVER going to admit that they are armed, let alone produce a LTCH.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i'm no leo....nor do i play one on tv....but, i can say that they do have access to some kind of data bank somewhere...i was riding my motorcycle with a couple of buddies after work....they where patch holders...(i am not)....when they pulled me over for handlebars being 15'' over my seat..(which will not be illegal after 7-1-10)...1st thing out of his mouth was..."wheres your gun"...i was like uhhh...told him my gun was on my right side...his words next was.."keep hands on the handlebars"...noooo problemmmm....osifer!..he ticket me for handlebars....but he did know i had a gun and LTCH..

I have to agree here. Everytime I get pulled over they ask do I have a gun.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    There is no notification given when we run someones license through the BMV. I have ran thousands of people in my career and have never seen who has a permit or not. They may be some counties or PD's that keep a database, but not all.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    Sorry, not showing anyone anything I'm not required to show them. This really makes no sense. If you have a lawful citizen carrying the firearm, what difference does it make if they're armed. The armed criminal, who WOULD be cause for concern, is NEVER going to admit that they are armed, let alone produce a LTCH.

When you're going into a store, or getting home from grocery shopping do you like it when people hold the door open for you? That's being polite and or courteous!!!

That's what this is. I know, there are the stubborn hard headed among us that feel/believe their rights are being stepped on if they volunteer information freely. Getting stopped and Offering your LTCH is just a courtesy. Do you not believe the world would be a better place all around if more people were courteous?

Sure, you get stopped by a LEO, decide to stand your ground and don't mention you have your LTCH. He's/She's new and a little anxious, sees your gun and drop a round in the back of your head. Wow, your family may get a nice settlement, but you'll still be dead or paralyzed. To me, it's just not worth the hassle of being a di*k.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    My wife took an NRA pistol class not too long ago and the instructor claimed that in IN, some counties have that information on a stop and others do not. There is no statewide system for that. Sounds like that coincides with most responses on this board.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    When you're going into a store, or getting home from grocery shopping do you like it when people hold the door open for you? That's being polite and or courteous!!!

That's what this is. I know, there are the stubborn hard headed among us that feel/believe their rights are being stepped on if they volunteer information freely. Getting stopped and Offering your LTCH is just a courtesy. Do you not believe the world would be a better place all around if more people were courteous?

Sure, you get stopped by a LEO, decide to stand your ground and don't mention you have your LTCH. He's/She's new and a little anxious, sees your gun and drop a round in the back of your head. Wow, your family may get a nice settlement, but you'll still be dead or paralyzed. To me, it's just not worth the hassle of being a di*k.

I got stopped about a month ago north of Ft. Wayne by ISP, he didn't ask and I didn't tell. No muss and no fuss I was on my way in a few minutes. Why bother with the whole potential 'let me have your gun etc etc' If it's a more prolonged incident like an accident where I may be in and out of my car I may volunteer the information.

Customgod227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Fort Wayne

AGREED! IMO, it lets the officer know that you might possibly have a weapon on your or in your vehicle. LEO's walk among many concealed carries on a daily basis, most of them not licensed. Its shows respect at the least. Also if your a conviceted felon, more than likely you not going to have a LTC, let alone hand one (Probably fake or no longer vaild) to the officer. Its more of an quick records check on there behalf, being the extensive background check you have to go through to get one and keep it.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    This is from the FWPD forums. Officer Mike Joyner is talking out his ass in part of the reply ("You have an obligation to inform the officer that you possess a valid permit and as a result you are armed") but he does talk about the County and City LTCH data base.

fwpd.org :: View topic - What happens Concealed Weapons?

mjoyner
    Forum Moderator

You have an obligation to inform the officer that you possess a valid permit and as a result you are armed. NEVER REACH FOR THE WEAPON and KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL at all times for obvious reasons. The officer will take it from there. If the individual applied for their permit in Fort Wayne or Allen County the permit information would be available to us when we run your information in the computer. However if the person was from outside of our area and had a valid permit, we would have to request our records personnel to run a special search to be provided that information.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If your LTCH is issued by Allen County Sheriff's Office it will come up in their system if they run your DL. IIRC Fort Wayne PD also has access to this. This is something the COUNTY put into place not the state. I'm sure more counties will start doing this also.

If that's true, why stop there? Might as tie people's political party, religious affiliation, medications, and annual income to their DL record too.

I mean, hey, if it helps it's worth it! :noway:

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    This is from the FWPD forums. Officer Mike Joyner is talking out his ass in part of the reply ("You have an obligation to inform the officer that you possess a valid permit and as a result you are armed") but he does talk about the County and City LTCH data base.

fwpd.org :: View topic - What happens Concealed Weapons?

In the quote you posted, there was one word I take exception with, "Obligated". No one, as a Law Abiding Citizen is 'Obligated' to announce or show their LTCH during a random interaction with a LEO.

Show ME in the IC where I have to show or announce to the LEO that I have my LTCH. AFAIK, it's not there. I'm not back tracking on my earlier post/reply, I will still "volunteer" the info about my LTCH out of courtesy, but to tell someone "their obligated" that's just good ol' boy bunk.

End Rant - Le Doug

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The local Chief LEO put mine in the county system after I fingerprinted for my LTCH. When a officer would run my name, in the info bar right next to my name(first thing that comes up) It said GUNS/POSS. GUNS ON PERSON. I seen it with my own eyes. Since every dept in the county uses the same system they all would be able to see it. In the future I can see all the computers statewide having the same info. My name no longer has that next to it.....

Isn't that right next to the box telling them which party you registered as in the primary and who and how much you contribute to political parties?

Last edited:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    In the quote you posted, there was one word I take exception with, "Obligated". No one, as a Law Abiding Citizen is 'Obligated' to announce or show their LTCH during a random interaction with a LEO.

Show ME in the IC where I have to show or announce to the LEO that I have my LTCH. AFAIK, it's not there. I'm not back tracking on my earlier post/reply, I will still "volunteer" the info about my LTCH out of courtesy, but to tell someone "their obligated" that's just good ol' boy bunk.

End Rant - Le Doug

I agree with you 100%. That why I stated he was talking out of his a$$. Officer Joyner has made other derogatory statements on the Police Dept's forums towards people who open carry and how they would "go out of there way to investigate why a person is OC'ing"

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I agree with you 100%. That why I stated he was talking out of his a$$. Officer Joyner has made other derogatory statements on the Police Dept's forums towards people who open carry and how they would "go out of there way to investigate why a person is OC'ing"

My apologies, I guess what I read and what I saw were two different things. I guess that's what I get for only graduating high school.

Le Doug

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    It shows up in Vanderburgh County. When you apply for your LTCH that information is kept locally and it gets flagged when you license is run.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

So, when the officer decides to disarm me during the stop, "paints" me with my own gun while trying to unload it because they don't know what they are doing, throws my gun in the trunk and tells me not to retrieve it until they leave...... would that be "courtesy" too? (I've read several accounts of this very thing on here)

Sorry, I don't think it's being a "di*k" as you put it to try to protect your privacy. Using your example, if someone goes in the door in front of you and doesn't hold it open for you, would that person be a "di*k"?

Courtesy is "yes sir" "yes ma'am", not "Here's my license for my handgun that you didn't ask for and I'm not required to provide. Standing by for you to take my handgun from me."

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    So, when the officer decides to disarm me during the stop, "paints" me with my own gun while trying to unload it because they don't know what they are doing, throws my gun in the trunk and tells me not to retrieve it until they leave...... would that be "courtesy" too? (I've read several accounts of this very thing on here)

Sorry, I don't think it's being a "di*k" as you put it to try to protect your privacy. Using your example, if someone goes in the door in front of you and doesn't hold it open for you, would that person be a "di*k"?

Courtesy is "yes sir" "yes ma'am", not "Here's my license for my handgun that you didn't ask for and I'm not required to provide. Standing by for you to take my handgun from me."

agree 100%..i get stopped alot during the summer...and i only answer questions that are asked....besides..they seem to know i'm carrying anyways....i have respect for leos.....just don't trust to many of em..

fwacfred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    MYRTLE BEACH
    In Indiana there is no duty to inform. All agencies in Allen Co. will know if you have an LTCH only if it was applied for in Allen County. It will pop up on the CAD screen under involvements indicating if the permit is active, expired, or what not.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I once heard that you can ask an officer on the street or wherever if you have anything on your record and that they cannot use it against you if anything comes up.

Any truth to this?

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I once heard that you can ask an officer on the street or wherever if you have anything on your record and that they cannot use it against you if anything comes up.

Any truth to this?

Totally false.

If he runs you and you have a warrant, you're going in. If its a Felony warrant, he's probably going to inform you of it with a gun pointed at you. Gotta ticket for 12 over the limit in a 45 mph zone 6 months ago, well this time the 12 over in a 45 is going to cost you even more.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom