• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Does anyone here butcher or process their own deer? Is it difficult?

I ask, because I'm planning on going deer hunting this year, as it's been 23 years since I bagged my first when I was 17 and I'd like to learn how to process it myself, instead of just blindly taking it to a processor somewhere like I did before.

I guess as I get older (and hopefully wiser), the more inclined I am to learning the basic survival skills of processing one's own meat, that seem to be going by the wayside these days.. Plus, to tell you the truth...it kind of feels like the "right thing to do" to experience the whole process of "honorably" harvesting a yearly deer.

Anyone with any experience in doing that that can help me learn or maybe point me in the right direction to read/watch something about doing it?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Pretty simple really if you take your time and pay attention. The inside tenderloin, I always cut out right away as it will dry out. That is also the most tender, best eating you will get. Depending on the temperatures, I let it hang for a bit to age and bleed out good. The backstrap or loin is where the best steaks and chops come from. If you don't have a bandsaw, just bone it out and slice them to the size you want. I then cut out the hind quarters. I usually use them as roasts. The rest of it is burger. Having said that, I have been thinking about just canning all of it except the tenderloin and backstrap. That way I would be better prepared for a SHTF with more canned meat. I knew a couple old guys that swore that it is just like canned beef.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Pretty simple really if you take your time and pay attention. The inside tenderloin, I always cut out right away as it will dry out. That is also the most tender, best eating you will get. Depending on the temperatures, I let it hang for a bit to age and bleed out good. The backstrap or loin is where the best steaks and chops come from. If you don't have a bandsaw, just bone it out and slice them to the size you want. I then cut out the hind quarters. I usually use them as roasts. The rest of it is burger. Having said that, I have been thinking about just canning all of it except the tenderloin and backstrap. That way I would be better prepared for a SHTF with more canned meat. I knew a couple old guys that swore that it is just like canned beef.

:yesway: We're thinking about giving canning a try this year as well.

To answer the OP's question- yes, processing is not difficult, but it can be a bit time consuming. My wife and I bought a grinder a few years back to make ground and it really helps. We process about 5 a year. For our family, it lasts about 5 months and REALLY cuts down on meat buying costs at the grocery.

If I had to pay butchers around here to process it, it would barely be worth hunting:twocents:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I've found a few videos on YouTube, but this specific one seemed to be done by a guy (named "critter") who seems to know what he's doing. What do you guys think?

[ame]http://youtu.be/bYvP8Qc4Oyc[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/IkBUSOTERWE[/ame]

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    here is the problem for DIY deer processing. It is expensive to start up i.e. grinder and good knives, paper, tape and so on....once you get all of this stuff and you get a process going it is VERY simple!!! I do several deer a year for myself and several deer for my buddies. I strongly encourage you to NOT bandsaw the meet and debone everything! If you look at videos on line that is good but some of the better ones i have found is from Outdoor edge (maker of the swingblade). They do a good job of breaking it down and showing how to make it easy!

If you are in the NW corner I would be happy to come help and teach ya my way and you can go from there.

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It's pretty simple to butch a deer, and can be done relatively cheaply. It only gets expensive when you start accessorizing. All you really need is a gambrel (walmart sells one that is serviceable), a decent knife, and a tree (or something else to hand the deer from). You won't be making burgers, but you can get pretty good steaks, and plenty of meat for jerky (and we all know that's what is really important).

Just carefully skin it, I like to start at the hind legs and work my way to head. Then start cutting the meat off as close to the bone as you can. When cutting the meat I start at the shoulders and work my way back. I've seen people start at the hind legs and end up cutting the tendon that holds the dear on the gambrel, grass and dirt on your fresh meat blows. After removing as much of the meat as you can, should be all of it but skill varies from person to person, cut the chunks up however you want them.

P.S. Critter is awesome

Also this site has some good info (& pics!)

http://www.bjacked.net/DeerProcessing301.pdf

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I've watched a couple of his other videos too and he seems like he be a good 'ol boy to hunt with. :cool:

Thanks for the link and for all the help guys- I feel like I'm gettin' "smarter" by the minute! :):

Now I just need to get me one of those dudes this Fall. :rockwoot:

mr buckman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    I plan on trying it out for the first time this year. My only issue lately has been a place to hang it before I have time to actually cut them up. I think I have that solved so looking forward to trying it out! :yesway:

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's not that hard. Just make sure your knives are sharp, you label the wrappers for what they are, and take your time. Try to avoid as much of the white as possible, your steaks will be the better for it. If you mix some regular hamburger with your burger meat it doesnt dry out as much. More fat content in the hamburger, just don't over do it. 1 lb of hamburger for 5 lbs deer meat works great.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I watched the videos. My process is something like that, but I don't saw through the spine or remove antlers until after the meat is removed. I also don't separate the rear quarters. I leave the skeleton whole and remove the meat, process the meat, and then saw the skeleton into pieces as needed for disposal. I like to keep brain/spinal matter out of the meat as much as possible.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I've read references to CWD(?) coming from deer brains, bone marrow and spinal fluids getting on the meat, where one should avoid it?

What is that and what are they referring to? Some kind of disease or something??

EDIT: I found some info on it from the IDNR. :)

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My only issue lately has been a place to hang it before I have time to actually cut them up. I think I have that solved so looking forward to trying it out! :yesway:

My neighbors grandson thought his garage would be a good spot.

Apparently oil and gas odors create a distinctive seasoning that not everyone finds to be pleasing.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I always process my own. I think the trick is to keep in a cooler for a week or 10 days and let the blood drain and let the meat start to break down. The meat tastes a lot better and not as gamey. If it is cool enough outside, then cooler would not be needed (around 40 degrees, but above freezing)

Top Bottom