• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    For those of you considering processing your own deer, feel free to check out these pics of my 12 year old helping out on his first kill.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qd7degvuio7xkmu/aJSPwQc_5x

I'm confident he could do about 75% of the processing on his own now. This is his 5th to help out with. He helps with all stages, from gutting to skinning to cutting/trimming and to packaging. His favorite part, of course, is eating it. :):

It is a lot of work though. You kinda have to want to do it yourself, but it is very doable.

What a lucky son to have parents who teach kids life skills. I have had the opportunity to teach a few kids how to butcher and it is always a great experience for them and me.

pjt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    +1 on the extension agents that teach a good course.
    A 4 inch filet knife works great for butchering.
    When I started, I borrowed a grinder to try out the whole process. Ended up buying one. One of your friends has one, or a relative has a hand cranker still laying around from the old days.
    You can even put your grinding meat in a baggy and freeze it untill you find a grinder. It really won't be ruined if you thaw it out for a few hours, grind it and refreeze it. Blend it with some beef or pork fat for a little flavor and too help it hold together. Cheap hamberger or sausage will work. Blend 3-5 lbs vension to one pound adder. If I had hamberger or sausage, I'd be closer to 3 pounds, if it staight fat, closer to 5.

If you can cut up a rabbit, squirrel, or whole chicken, you can cut up a deer.

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    What a lucky son to have parents who teach kids life skills. I have had the opportunity to teach a few kids how to butcher and it is always a great experience for them and me.

Now that you mention it, he does seem to enjoy it pretty well. He doesn't complain, and is right there wanting to help. And he enjoys the attention when someone else finds out that he does all this good stuff.

My neighbor has 2 girls and a boy. They will learn this also, and are already butchering chickens (ages 10-14). I agree, a good life skill to know. Our food is readily available right now, but who knows what the future holds.

stationhollow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    easy to do. 1 keep it cool and skin it quick 2 cut between the muscle layers 3 dont eat anything white. 4 be sure to check the liver for spots 5 electric slicer (40 bucks) will make things easier 6 chilling the meat makes it easier to slice 7 dont need paper, plastic bags labled are much easier 8 ribs are white

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    How much pork fat to vension do you guys usually use? This is my first year hunting and first year bow, I'm super excited!

We don't add any when packaging venison for the freezer. But, depending on what we're using it for, we'll add in some while preparing to cook. That leaves your options wide open.

And there's several things we don't mix in any port/beef. Lasagna, spaghetti sauce, chili soup, post roasts, steaks on the grill, etc.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Last edited:

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    :whistle: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s/238558-redneckmedic_butchering_and_diy.html

Don't waste you money on expensive knife kits, a $15 boning knife, a good steel, butcher paper, wax paper, masking tape $3 9for 3 rolls) in painters 3-6mm plastic ply wood saw horses. Find someone with a grinder.

Agreed, that's all we use. A $12-$15 'butcher' set from Menards. And really, only use 1 knife out of that. And a 6" filet knife. It's helpful to have multiple knives if multiple of you are working.

And you didn't mention, but a hacksaw is helpful (neck and 4 lower legs).

Also, we use several large bowls to put the meat into with water.

Then put those into a cooler with ice for a few days. Then package, label, and freeze.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I DIYed My first one last night. I have an old Olsen fillet knife that I used. I'm gonna grind it all up so I wasn't too careful. I just left him hanging from the chainfall. Lowered him so his nose and front feet touched the ground to keep him from spinning and started cutting. Threw it all in a cooler and filled with salt water and a little ice. I drained the bloody water off today and refilled it. Tomorrow night I'll bag it up and freeze it until we get a few more. Then we'll grind, slice for jerky, and make sausage.

Top Bottom