Discussion on the new INGO Rules (race/religion and copyright)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    1. Religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGunOwners.com.

Starting immediately religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGO. All Indiana Gun Owners should feel comfortable on this forum no matter their race, religion or color. It was brought to my attention that this is not the case for many members due to ignorant comments flying in the General Politics forum. Everyone is welcome here on INGO and should feel comfortable being associated with this site.

Please remember this is INGunOwners.com and we happen to have a General Politics Section on a gun site. Quite frankly the general politics section has turned into a cesspool lately and it stops tonight. If threads of religious/racial nature continue to pop up in the General Politics forum it will be closed. If it happens in other forums on this site infractions will be given out followed by the hammer.

DO NOT test the MODs patience on this new rule and do not nit pick or try and see how close to the line you can get with out crossing it. No religious or racially based posts are allowed from this point forward on INGO.

2. Do not post any written content that is not yours on INGunOwners.com.

Do not post news articles, content from blogs or any other content from sites around the web on INGunOwners.com . Feel free to post your own words and a link to the content but DO NOT copy and paste any text that does not belong to you on INGunOwners.com

This new rule helps to protect INGO in an increasingly litigious society. If you come across old posts that happen to violate this new rule please help us out by reporting the post. Going forward if you post text from other sites you will get an infraction. Please do not let this potential infraction hurt your feelings. Infractions will be handed out because you didn't read this and we need to let you know.

Finally INGO continues to grow at an amazing rate and we are the best State based gun board on the web. The members of INGO make it great. Thanks for being here and I hope you enjoy the site! :ingo:

Last edited by a moderator:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    :yesway: Indiana GUN Owners Forum.

Excellent news on the first one! :yesway:

The 2nd one scares me... only cause I'm an idiot and I hope it doesn't slip my mind. 'Course, I'm sure an infraction should be a healthy reminder. :):

You've got a tough job but somebody's gotta do it!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If a news article, or an opinion piece upon the subjects; provided it meets other TOS for INGO, included in such prohibition?

Yes, it's included. It's reprinting someone else's work. See Fenway's second rule.

I was under the understanding that a copy and paste of a short blurb was acceptable, provided said was attributed to the publication. Is that no longer permitted as well?
    No. That is no longer permitted.

See this link for more information. Opposing Views: "Armed Citizen" Closes, Site Named in Infringement Suit

If individual publications permit such, would that also be acceptable?
    No. We don't have time to track down individual copyrights to verify that they're permitted.

See this link for more information. Opposing Views: "Armed Citizen" Closes, Site Named in Infringement Suit

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Bottom line: Your website, your rules.

It's unfortunate that we can't discuss religion, as free-thinking American adults on a pro-freedom website without people crying to the moderators when ambassadors from their religion do something stupid and people post stories about it.

In my opinion, this is scary, dangerous, and backwords. Where would we be if our government told newspapers they weren't allowed to write stories about Hitler slaughtering the Jews because it might offend Christians? Restriction of knowledge and information is never a good thing, no matter what it is. But as I said, your website, your rules.

I understand the stories rule. Lawyers (the majority from my experience) are nearly sub-human greed monsters addicted to suing people as a living. Still, sad news, because I come to INGO almost solely for news updates. Clicking a link isn't a big deal, but I much prefer to read without going to another website that I'm not familiar with who has pops ups and other annoying things INGO stays away from.

I for one, am disappointed that INGO caved to the pro-sensitivity, pro-crybaby, pro-whiners crowd instead of telling them to stand up for their religion as be a good ambassador for it, no matter what religious sect they belong to.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I was going to copy and paste the 'Fair Use Rule', that outlines the permissible use of copyrighted material, but I would be in violation of the INGO rule that now prohibits such.

Can you quote people now or is that going to be disabled?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    It seems a handful of you in only 36 minutes have decided that Fenway didn't mean this.

Fenway said:
    DO NOT test the MODs patience on this new rule and do not nit pick or try and see how close to the line you can get with out crossing it. No religious or racially based posts are allowed from this point forward on INGO.
    *Boggle*

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    JBusch should sue you and INGO for quoting him without his permission.

I hope sarcasm is never banned. I know this is still purple, but I'm not being sarcastic in this line. Seriously.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    A gun related website is in court and shut down because of this issue.

JBusch should sue you and INGO for quoting him without his permission.

I hope sarcasm is never banned. I know this is still purple, but I'm not being sarcastic in this line. Seriously.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I don't visit the news and announcements section...ever. I saw that you said to check up on the news and announcements section in another thread. I'm a little concerned no one is going to know of this news and many great members who post several stories a day are going to get banned without notice, just to clean house. Similar to the way it was done with Haldir and Smoking357, not that they were great members, but they really didn't do anything different than a great number of other users did, post links or articles without personal commentary, which was the reason we were given as to why they were banned.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks for your concern. We have some ways to make sure people read this announcement.

I don't visit the news and announcements section...ever. I saw that you said to check up on the news and announcements section in another thread. I'm a little concerned no one is going to know of this news and many great members who post several stories a day are going to get banned without notice, just to clean house. Similar to the way it was done with Haldir and Smoking357, not that they were great members, but they really didn't do anything different than a great number of other users did, post links or articles without personal commentary, which was the reason we were given as to why they were banned.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm sorry, but this is a bit crazy. Does this mean that NO religious discussion is allowed? I realize that it's Your site Fenway, but considering the consistent threat from Islam, the idiots that protest at soldier funerals, the fact that most discussions about the Constitution are religious based because the Constitution was written based on religious beliefs, and that, while some just don't believe, there are many here that do and quote passages from the bible, a complete ban on religious discussion is pretty much going to stifle much of the discussion on INGO.

Concerning the copyright infringement case that Scutter posted. Nowhere in that article does it mention Forums. Blogs, news websites, etc are mentioned, but not any kind of Forum. And as I read the law, the websites themselves are not liable, but the poster themselves. It's like saying the gun manufacturer is liable for a gun crime committed by a criminal. Lawsuits against the owner of the site won't hold up. I understand the need to protect members, but it's like wearing a seat belt. It's their choice to break the rule or not. You (admin/mods) are not liable for what the members post.

Please don't take this to mean that I don't plan on following the rules, but I do think these go to far.

Wouldn't such potential for copyright violations, be also included for photos?

^^^This. By the rule on copyright infringement just set on this site, all pictures, avatars, sig line pics, and any linked photos in the classifieds not owned by the poster are in violation. So does this mean no posting pictures unless you yourself take them?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom