Indiucky: *Salma Photo*

Who else has lines? :)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    But they still work for the job intended.

Sure seem to, at least in a permissive air environment. But note that the blue suit generals really don’t like them...

Maybe the Marines could take them? They seem to do a good job of fixed wing CAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sure seem to, at least in a permissive air environment. But note that the blue suit generals really don’t like them...

Maybe the Marines could take them? They seem to do a good job of fixed wing CAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Blue suits want to appropriate some large sums from the budget for something multi-roll intended that will not do any of them very well. Then more money to make that work.

Follow the money........Sorry LE

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Martial law expiring after 30 days.

And Russia landing air superiority fighters in the Crimean (along with other assets). That would make life complicated for A-10s - or the Ukrainian Su-25s.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martial law expiring after 30 days.

And Russia landing air superiority fighters in the Crimean (along with other assets). That would make life complicated for A-10s - or the Ukrainian Su-25s.

"Complicated," is an understatement, lol.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Ukraine operates the S-300, a rather capable air defense system that uses SA-10 & -11 missiles...and many of these systems were upgraded after 2014's "festivities".

One can only assume if the balloon were to actually go up, there would be a significant SEAD campaign by Russian air forces...but IADS combined with near-peer aircraft (Fulcrums and Flankers) won't exactly make it a permissive environment for Ivan.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ukraine operates the S-300, a rather capable air defense system that uses SA-10 & -11 missiles...and many of these systems were upgraded after 2014's "festivities".

One can only assume if the balloon were to actually go up, there would be a significant SEAD campaign by Russian air forces...but IADS combined with near-peer aircraft (Fulcrums and Flankers) won't exactly make it a permissive environment for Ivan.

I admittedly haven't looked into the capabilities on each side, but on paper, it would seem to me that Russia would steamroll Ukrainian air power within a week.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I admittedly haven't looked into the capabilities on each side, but on paper, it would seem to me that Russia would steamroll Ukrainian air power within a week.

Ukraine is much more of a 'peer' with Russia in terms of equipment capability than, say, Iraq was to the US in Gulf 1 OR Gulf 2....and Iraq had a pretty fair air defense system. They're also more capable than Georgia was against Russia in 2008.

In terms of sheer numbers? Yup, that's game/set/match Russia, who historically hasn't worried too much about attrition in a fight.

I don't know how long it would take for Russia to 'steam-roll' Ukrainian air defenses...but I doubt it would be easy or cheap in terms of losses.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ukraine is much more of a 'peer' with Russia in terms of equipment capability than, say, Iraq was to the US in Gulf 1 OR Gulf 2....and Iraq had a pretty fair air defense system. They're also more capable than Georgia was against Russia in 2008.

In terms of sheer numbers? Yup, that's game/set/match Russia, who historically hasn't worried too much about attrition in a fight.

I don't know how long it would take for Russia to 'steam-roll' Ukrainian air defenses...but I doubt it would be easy or cheap in terms of losses.

Oh neither do I. I think you're comment about attrition is spot on. I think Putin would throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Ukrainians... well, as much as he can spare. The way I see it, is that the Russians (or more correctly Putin's ego), feels as if it's falling behind the US and China in power projection. As such, he probably thinks he needs to keep the tip of spear sharp, and remind the rest of the world, that Russia still exists.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Russian tanks massing at the border foreshadow what the Ukrainian strategists are worried about, IMHO.

The fixed S-300 sites are likely well mapped and vulnerable to strategic missile attacks and/or blitzkrieg style tactics. Which makes any anti-missile defense systems provided by us even more important.

I'm not sure how many of the mobile variants are in the Ukraine, but since it is a Russian system, it is plausible that the Russians know how to stymie it, too.

The non-DACT nature of the air-to-air aspect would be REALLY interesting, from a technical perspective.

ETA:
    Realistically, though, Russia can effectively lay siege to the Ukraine. They can play a long game and create catastrophic conditions, then intervene without much violence at all. Or at least create conducive conditions.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Blue suits want to appropriate some large sums from the budget for something multi-roll intended that will not do any of them very well. Then more money to make that work.

Follow the money........Sorry LE

Feel free. My "line" should be considered "open source".

Hope I got that right, I'm pretty slow on modern terms.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yep. 'Belt and Road' could just as easily be 'restraints and handcuffs'

It will be a good lesson for them in choosing friends wisely, and it will be delightful if an anti-Chinese insurgency develops

And it will give the next generation of neocons something that they can claim we have to go fix

Top Bottom