Did Law Change? Unreal incident at clinic...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

You need to take this to whomever is in charge. The officer's behavior was not only ridiculous, but it was also incredibly unprofessional. They need to Google the law. The officer may not agree with open carry, and that is his right to have that personal opinion. However, when he puts on a uniform and a badge, and begins asserting his opinions under the force of law, he is in gross violation of his duties as a sworn officer. I would be steamed!!!

Oh I am furious..moreso because my kids had to sit there and ask their mother if daddy was going to jail. The whole thing is bull****. I should not be approached that way and disarmed. I was sitting there HOLDING MY 4 YEAR OLD and your going to grab me up and disarm me? on what grounds?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I would do a FOIA or similar demand for the police reports, including the CAD sheet, and a copy of the 911/phone call that was made from the clinic. Contact a local attorney. Depose clinic personnel, the officers, and the chief for that matter.

And file a civil suit. Have you talked to local press?

I would make a big stink. They owe you a public apology at the very least. As does the person who called the police in the first place.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yep. I am pretty sure I am in the wrong for my drivers license not being correct, but I live 30 feet away and it's just not on my list of things to do

Doesn't matter if you still live "close" to the previous address; I am given to understand that your DL must be updated within 90 days of moving.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yep. I am pretty sure I am in the wrong for my drivers license not being correct, but I live 30 feet away and it's just not on my list of things to do (standing at the bmv with all those hateful employees)

I wanted to verify their officers needed training before I made an ass of myself. I will be contacting whoever I can tomorrow.

First of all, I agree the officers were in the wrong here, but PLEASE don't use something like this (above in bold) as an excuse for not taking care of your responsibility. Even if you moved one apartment over, it's still your responsibility to have your address changed on your DL.

By the way, did the officer remove the round from the chamber when he dropped the magazine?

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    I would do a FOIA or similar demand for the police reports, including the CAD sheet, and a copy of the 911/phone call that was made from the clinic. Contact a local attorney. Depose clinic personnel, the officers, and the chief for that matter.

And file a civil suit. Have you talked to local press?

I would make a big stink. They owe you a public apology at the very least. As does the person who called the police in the first place.

I contacted the press to get a hold of me if they want any other information to potentially make soething out of it.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    First of all, I agree the officers were in the wrong here, but PLEASE don't use something like this (above in bold) as an excuse for not taking care of your responsibility. Even if you moved one apartment over, it's still your responsibility to have your address changed on your DL.

By the way, did the officer remove the round from the chamber when he dropped the magazine?

The pistol was not hot. He dropped my mag and cleared the chamber and removed the bullets from my mag. Made me put my gun in my trunk and told me I had to bring it home before I could come back and get my family.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I contacted the press to get a hold of me if they want any other information to potentially make soething out of it.
    You should definitely make an official request, in writing, for all police records related to this event. Under Indiana law they cannot ignore your request, even if they decline to cooperate. At which point your question would be, what do you have to hide?

You might also write an op-ed piece for the local newspaper, laying out the facts about OC and licenses in Indiana. Show the public how ignorant the officers were. And how reasonable you are.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Wow.

I've read way too many posts like this on INGO and other forums. There has got to be some type of recourse for this situation. I completely support the authority of all LEOs but when they try to enforce laws that don't exist I have a problem. Police officers and troopers have a very stressful and dangerous job and they have every right to take steps to protect themselves. That being said, they still need to remember they are public servants and need to respect the rights of private citizens. We do pay their salaries and expect them to enforce the law in a professional manner. Every time an officer disrespects a law abiding citizen he needs to be reprimanded. I've said it before respect is a two way street. I would expect a reprimand if I treated someone in this manner at work.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    You should definitely make an official request, in writing, for all police records related to this event. Under Indiana law they cannot ignore your request, even if they decline to cooperate. At which point your question would be, what do you have to hide?

You might also write an op-ed piece for the local newspaper, laying out the facts about OC and licenses in Indiana. Show the public how ignorant the officers were. And how reasonable you are.

Who would I mail such a request to? The Chief?

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    My phone was sitting on the chair next to me. If I moved I probably would have been shot. I had nothing to record with. I wish I did.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you plan to continue OC'ing, I recommend investing in a pocket recorder that has enough memory to turn it on when you leave the house and leave on for the duration of your outing. You shouldn't be waiting until an encounter has begun to turn on your recorder.

Given how inflammatory OC'ing is, it seems like almost a given that you're eventually going to run into Officer Friendly who is going to force his OPINION on you whether you want it or not, and heaven help you if you find yourself guilty of Contempt of Cop in the process.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    If you plan to continue OC'ing, I recommend investing in a pocket recorder that has enough memory to turn it on when you leave the house and leave on for the duration of your outing. You shouldn't be waiting until an encounter has begun to turn on your recorder.

Given how inflammatory OC'ing is, it seems like almost a given that you're eventually going to run into Officer Friendly who is going to force his OPINION on you whether you want it or not, and heaven help you if you find yourself guilty of Contempt of Cop in the process.

The one officer was pretty civil with me and was not strutting **** like the Sergeant was (who I am complaining about the most at this point). He told me all of his opinions on my right to carry but said that I CAN'T carry openly. "Not only are you not tactical, but you just can't do it anyway, it's illegal". "This is a CONCEALED, CARRY, PERMIT". These words are resonating..and it hurts.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would really like to know what LEOs are taught concerning the laws of the state. I hear enough about "officer safety," but never anything -- with a few exceptions -- about citizen's rights.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Disturbing on several levels. The LEOs need to receive some pamphlets or something. I am concerned about the frequency of posts like this one - it is intimidating to people who are only trying to exercise their rights, how is it OK to detain people without cause and then not so much as a "sorry" afterword. I hope by now at least some of those officers have Googled it and know they screwed up.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    About 10 minutes after I got done speaking to that lady, just sitting there with my wife and 2 kids, the door to the doctors room opens and 2 police officers (one of which I know) come storming through the door with hands on weapons and grab a hold of me. I said "whoa whoa, what's the problem?" as the officer I know took my pistol out of my holster and dropped the mag. I said "Really Officer Black? In front of my kids like this?". They took me to an empty exam room and started talking to me.

If an officer grabs ahold of you, and you didn't do anything illegal, can you sue him for assault?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Who would I mail such a request to? The Chief?

Just mail to the Records Department, and CC the Chief. You might also think about contacting the police merit board. Make sure they know you are making a formal request under IC 5-14.

IC 5-14-3-1
    Public policy; construction; burden of proof for nondisclosure
    Sec. 1. A fundamental philosophy of the American constitutional form of representative government is that government is the servant of the people and not their master. Accordingly, it is the public policy of the state that all persons are entitled to full and complete information regarding the affairs of government and the official acts of those who represent them as public officials and employees. Providing persons with the information is an essential function of a representative government and an integral part of the routine duties of public officials and employees, whose duty it is to provide the information. This chapter shall be liberally construed to implement this policy and place the burden of proof for the nondisclosure of a public record on the public agency that would deny access to the record and not on the person seeking to inspect and copy the record.
    As added by P.L.19-1983, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.77-1995, SEC.1.

Top Bottom