• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He convinced a generation of parents that disciplining their children was unnecessary, harmful, and barbaric. It seems that as soon as a large number of children raised under this thinking started to reach an age where the consequences became manifest, we got what we have.

And he was so wrong.

My sons significant other is one of those that uses the "best friends" approach with his daughter.
    She lived in Philly for the 1st 2 years of the girls life. When my son went and got them over here to start a life the girl was a horrible, spoiled, bully, brat.
    After being here for just over a year she is coming around. The significant other is a suck butt liberal and we do not much care for her but my son is doing well with them. He is dead on with the little girl. It causes much tension between him and his mate but he constantly reminds her she is not the only parent and the child will not be a little turd. We continue to work with the girl as we love her and want the best for her. Her Mom..........Man where do these people come from......oh yeah, Dr. Spock.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have you read this book? Did he actually speak against all discipline, or only against physical discipline?

I read it. He was a lolly pop. Be your kids friend.............some of that is good. But to go totaly with time outs.......Not gonna work.

Steve, you are most likely right on top of your kids and I would bet they are well behaved....well, as kids can be. I seriously doubt you have much call to put the toe in contact with the back side. This can be done with little to no physical discipline. It can work.

But.....lazy parents (as I described up thread) can not pull it off. Have seen it a lot. The "I am not dealing with this" Mom or Dad is the root cause. Once the inmates seize control of the asylum........It is near over.

I blame Dr. Spock. This all started with his book. They called it ground breaking. They broke some new ground all right.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I read it. He was a lolly pop. Be your kids friend.............some of that is good. But to go totaly with time outs.......Not gonna work.

Steve, you are most likely right on top of your kids and I would bet they are well behaved....well, as kids can be. I seriously doubt you have much call to put the toe in contact with the back side. This can be done with little to no physical discipline. It can work.

But.....lazy parents (as I described up thread) can not pull it off. Have seen it a lot. The "I am not dealing with this" Mom or Dad is the root cause. Once the inmates seize control of the asylum........It is near over.

I blame Dr. Spock. This all started with his book. They called it ground breaking. They broke some new ground all right.

See, I totally get what you're saying about lazy parents and I can't help but wonder if that's the real problem... and not some book from 70 years ago.

Sure, everybody spanked back then. Especially in public... it was socially unacceptable not to. And since even lazy parents still want to be socially acceptable, a good whipping is actually pretty darn easy. You get to take out your anger on the kid and still look like a good parent. Doesn't even take up much time, right? Waaaaaay less time than it takes to really parent.

And yes, maybe kids did learn to be more quiet in public or risk a whipping. But is that really better parenting? That's kinda what I mean about honesty. Maybe lazy parents are just more honest about their laziness now that it's more socially acceptable. Maybe that book just gave bad parents an excuse to not even pretend to be good parents.

Anyways, you guys have more perspective on this than I do, simply from age (not a wise-crack, this time :D). So I could definitely be wrong. But looking back at my family's parenting from that time, there was no shortage of whippings for them. No love, no real discipline. Just beatings. This is our fallen state, and I have a hard time blaming a one author for generations growing up in an entirely God-less nation.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have literally never met a person who got in trouble with the police or CPS for spanking their child. I'm not saying it never happens, I have no doubt about the size and intrusiveness of our police state. But is that really why people aren't disciplining their children?

Also, what exactly did Dr. Spock say that destroyed our nation?

Actually, the person doesn't really "get in trouble". Their children get sent to Child Protective Services.
    And I've heard my youngest brother, and several parent's children tell that school informs them if they are spanked to call 911.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We rarely physically disciplined our kids. Not because we were super parents but, I think, partly because they knew it was a real, very real threat. We tried to show them the proper way to behave by way of example. But we knew to never do anything other than an reprimand while in public. Because as mentioned up thread, it was in the news, not so infrequently, where some parent was arrested (or otherwise got into legal trouble) for disciplining their kids in public. Like most everything else where the nanny state gets involved, there were and no doubt still are people that don't know the difference between discipline and physical abuse. When talking about kids, a swat or two on the butt is not abuse; a slap across the face or a punch or the use of an weapon is. I agree with others, the pendulum swung too far and it's partly the cause of what we see our kids doing today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    See, I totally get what you're saying about lazy parents and I can't help but wonder if that's the real problem... and not some book from 70 years ago.

Sure, everybody spanked back then. Especially in public... it was socially unacceptable not to. And since even lazy parents still want to be socially acceptable, a good whipping is actually pretty darn easy. You get to take out your anger on the kid and still look like a good parent. Doesn't even take up much time, right? Waaaaaay less time than it takes to really parent.

And yes, maybe kids did learn to be more quiet in public or risk a whipping. But is that really better parenting? That's kinda what I mean about honesty. Maybe lazy parents are just more honest about their laziness now that it's more socially acceptable. Maybe that book just gave bad parents an excuse to not even pretend to be good parents.

Anyways, you guys have more perspective on this than I do, simply from age (not a wise-crack, this time :D). So I could definitely be wrong. But looking back at my family's parenting from that time, there was no shortage of whippings for them. No love, no real discipline. Just beatings. This is our fallen state, and I have a hard time blaming a one author for generations growing up in an entirely God-less nation.

The book started or pushed a trend forward. It has now taken full root.

Yeah it was another lifetime ago. If I acted the fool 2 streets away it was not unusual for me to be called out on it (depended on the act) and my parents informed. Parents felt it their duty to let the offending children's parents know what they were doing. Once alerted my Father addressed the issue.

Try that today. We have.We are met bet a wall of stupid. The kids know Mom or Dad (if he is even in the picture) are not going to do anything to them. The inmates have taken over the asylum. Not all f,ilys of course but man it is scary how many are in the idiot/lazy category.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    We rarely physically disciplined our kids. Not because we were super parents but, I think, partly because they knew it was a real, very real threat. We tried to show them the proper way to behave by way of example.

And I think that's the way it should be. Physical discipline can be a useful tool, but if you're doing it all the time in place of real parenting, I think you're doing it wrong. Maybe that's what Dr. Spock was trying to get across, because in my opinion and based on my parents and grandparents experiences, I think it was done wrong a lot.

actaeon277 said:
    Their children get sent to Child Protective Services.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I've been following the shenanigans of the police state for quite a while, and haven't heard of many instances of this at all. I'm certainly not scared to spank my children.

churchmouse said:

That may be true, but I still wonder if it only illuminated the bad parents out there instead of creating new bad parents.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And I think that's the way it should be. Physical discipline can be a useful tool, but if you're doing it all the time in place of real parenting, I think you're doing it wrong. Maybe that's what Dr. Spock was trying to get across, because in my opinion and based on my parents and grandparents experiences, I think it was done wrong a lot.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I've been following the shenanigans of the police state for quite a while, and haven't heard of many instances of this at all. I'm certainly not scared to spank my children.

That may be true, but I still wonder if it only illuminated the bad parents out there instead of creating new bad parents.

Good point but I firmly believe it was the catalyst for what we are now seeing.

Add to this that there were so many new movements at the time. The Feminist agenda was forming up and gaining influence as were so many other now mainstream agenda's.

Put all of those things in a bowl and stir it up..........Bingo.
    The Hippies are now in charge. Sounds silly I know but it is more the truth than you know.

Seriously........we have seen a few parents get stuck by the PC parenting movement. 1 single Mom we knew through the kids school got in hot water by the child repeatedly calling 911 when he did not get his way. The school fostered this and the Dad (divorced) ingrained it in the kid. It was eventually gotten straight but not without great stress and monetary infusions for a Lawyer.

Yes, it is a real thing my friend. Happens all the time around here.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We rarely physically disciplined our kids. Not because we were super parents but, I think, partly because they knew it was a real, very real threat. We tried to show them the proper way to behave by way of example. But we knew to never do anything other than an reprimand while in public. Because as mentioned up thread, it was in the news, not so infrequently, where some parent was arrested (or otherwise got into legal trouble) for disciplining their kids in public. Like most everything else where the nanny state gets involved, there were and no doubt still are people that don't know the difference between discipline and physical abuse. When talking about kids, a swat or two on the butt is not abuse; a slap across the face or a punch or the use of an weapon is. I agree with others, the pendulum swung too far and it's partly the cause of what we see our kids doing today.

Each kid has their own unique temperament and has different needs when it comes to discipline.
    Some kids can grow up and never have a need of physical discipline, others can't.

In my case, my parents used physical discipline as a LAST RESORT.

But I was often defiant and pushed them to where they had to give me a whippin' to get my attention.
    I also got a firm slap across the face if I got too mouthy.

THANK GOD I had the "old school" parents I had that parented me with a firm hand.

If I'd had the kind of parents today that want to be their kid's "best buddy" instead of their parent, I'd have been lost.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I think some INGO members were not spanked enough as children. It could explain . . . much.

They have places now that will spank you as an adult. This might help reverse the damage.
    It can't hurt..........well, uh.......nevermind.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    If the kid has opposable thumbs and the strength to pull a trigger he/she can wear restraints. I think I remember something about kids chopping up their families so I'm not really concerned about a child with a "diagnosed" "lack of physical and emotional control" being restrained for the safety of the public or the individual.
    In related news,
    "any actions taken by the restrained person once in custody with the potential to induce self harm should be addressed with the application of physical/less lethal force to prevent the subject from inducing said harm to his or her self, measures taken should also consider the safety of those sworn to administer said response."

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Yeah it was another lifetime ago. If I acted the fool 2 streets away it was not unusual for me to be called out on it (depended on the act) and my parents informed. Parents felt it their duty to let the offending children's parents know what they were doing. Once alerted my Father addressed the issue.

Try that today. We have.We are met bet a wall of stupid. The kids know Mom or Dad (if he is even in the picture) are not going to do anything to them. The inmates have taken over the asylum. Not all f,ilys of course but man it is scary how many are in the idiot/lazy category.

Where I lived, it was common for the neighbor to snatch a kid up, blister his butt, and send him home for another dose.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Each kid has their own unique temperament and has different needs when it comes to discipline.
    Some kids can grow up and never have a need of physical discipline, others can't.

In my case, my parents used physical discipline as a LAST RESORT.

But I was often defiant and pushed them to where they had to give me a whippin' to get my attention.
    I also got a firm slap across the face if I got too mouthy.

THANK GOD I had the "old school" parents I had that parented me with a firm hand.

If I'd had the kind of parents today that want to be their kid's "best buddy" instead of their parent, I'd have been lost.

I wasn't particularly rebellious, I don't think(...well, maybe after I got too old to whip). My parents weren't the best in the world either. But dad could give us "the look", I can still see it. And if that didn't correct us, he had the fastest belt in the west. He didn't use it often but when he did, afterwards, I remember a few times, he was crying almost as loud as we were.

I got the Zest soap in the mouth one time. I don't remember what it was for, exactly. I do remember I mouthed off about something. I do remember--lesson learned. Zest soap tastes nasty and I should weigh my words more carefully.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I remember telling my dad to **** off. It took a few years to learn what it meant, but it only took one round with the belt to know not to say it again.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I wasn't particularly rebellious, I don't think(...well, maybe after I got too old to whip). My parents weren't the best in the world either. But dad could give us "the look", I can still see it. And if that didn't correct us, he had the fastest belt in the west. He didn't use it often but when he did, afterwards, I remember a few times, he was crying almost as loud as we were.

I got the Zest soap in the mouth one time. I don't remember what it was for, exactly. I do remember I mouthed off about something. I do remember--lesson learned. Zest soap tastes nasty and I should weigh my words more carefully.

Dove soap doesn't taste any better.

Threadjack-
    When my older brother was about 14, my dad whipped his butt with an old wooden yard stick. The first strike broke it in two pieces and my brother started to laugh. That ticked my dad off a bit so he picked up the longer of the two and hit him again. That broke in two pieces also so my brother laughed even harder and my mom started to snicker. He was then sent to his room and my dad stomped off. I remember picking up the sticks while in shock.

Later years, my brother would still bring that up to my dad and they'd both get a kick out of it.

When I got older, they made yard sticks out of metal.............those bastards! :xmad:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Dove soap doesn't taste any better.

Threadjack-
    When my older brother was about 14, my dad whipped his butt with an old wooden yard stick. The first strike broke it in two pieces and my brother started to laugh. That ticked my dad off a bit so he picked up the longer of the two and hit him again. That broke in two pieces also so my brother laughed even harder and my mom started to snicker. He was then sent to his room and my dad stomped off. I remember picking up the sticks while in shock.

Later years, my brother would still bring that up to my dad and they'd both get a kick out of it.

When I got older, they made yard sticks out of metal.............those bastards! :xmad:

I had a school teacher that would use a yard stick. That ***** was a master at it and not breaking it! :laugh: Man, that stung...she'd hit you right on the calf muscles.

Top Bottom