My ADD is cured...

Hot-Nurse.jpg

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I think you have a very good point about a lack of training. This officer probably shares the mindset with many here that there's nothing wrong with these disabled kids that a good whippin' wouldn't cure.

On the other hand, he is a "school resource officer". Regardless of the official training, shouldn't he be learning about these things on his own?
    Yes I agree. But it will fall back on the department, "You placed this deputy into this position (school resource officer) without training in the basic skills needed to accomplish that job?"

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My thoughts on the video are this: The officer is overstepping his place. His job isn't to discipline unruly kids. His job is to protect them. I thought we started putting more police officers in schools so there'd be a good guy with a gun to stop any bad guys with guns, who might show up. Not to outsource discipline.
    When a teacher (thankfully rare), a parent, or a caretaker call you to their house for just that, it is hard NOT to get involved. I get parents ALL THE TIME that call me when their kids refuse to get dressed and go to school. I yell at them, like a parent would, and they get moving. They relegate discipline to us. No one wants to get their "hands dirty" by disciplining kids, they want to remain the good guys and call us to do the dirty work.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When a teacher (thankfully rare), a parent, or a caretaker call you to their house for just that, it is hard NOT to get involved. I get parents ALL THE TIME that call me when their kids refuse to get dressed and go to school. I yell at them, like a parent would, and they get moving. They relegate discipline to us. No one wants to get their "hands dirty" by disciplining kids, they want to remain the good guys and call us to do the dirty work.

Out of curiosity, would you say the ones that call you out for discipline duty are mostly single mom type situations? I know when we were kids, we'd give mom a lot more grief than we'd ever think about giving dad. And there were a few times, when my boys were younger, I had to step in and "take it up a notch" and let them know what's what.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So either:

A) Harsher discipline prevented ADHD type behaviors, or
    B) ADHD has increased in prevalence since you were in school (19th century? :D)

I think it's a combination of both. I think environmental factors have caused legitimate developmental delays and disorders in children, and at the same time, bad parents have latched onto this improperly as an excuse for their lack of effort in parenting.

That doesn't mean that we should lump every kid into the 'lack of discipline' category just because ADHD wasn't prevalent when you went to school. It exists, and paddlings aren't the cure.

Hey man....Old but not dead. We actually had electric lights.....really.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Todays bunch are willing to allow toddlers, children and youth rule the roost. The best thing anyone can learn is the limits. Sometimes kids have to have hard limits to push back against. The reason cops have to be in schools is because the people whose child rearing philosphies do not work, pass the buck to law enforcement. WHat counted as regular disciple in Chicago/Region Catholic shools when I grew up would make the twitter generation cry into their pillows. But we did learn how to act like adults, learn to be functional in society, provide for ourselves and others as well as become law abiding citizens. Todays methods are raising lazy people with no direction or common sense that cannot even pull their pants up, let alone make mature, responsible judgments on life's issues.

I watched the video several time. The officer was carefully instructing the child that he had the option to be decide to act properly and enjoy freedom, but that deciding to act improperly will result in less freedom. I have no problem with that message or the officers actions.

I agree, at no time did the officer abuse the child from what I could see in the video.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If I pay for the gas will you drive up here and yell at some of the kids around here? They need some love.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Probably the cop isn't as much to blame for the whole situation as a school administration that outsourced discipline to him. Police shouldn't have to disciple other people's kids. That just shouldn't be your job.

If I pay for the gas will you drive up here and yell at some of the kids around here? They need some love.

You might want to rephrase your question using the word "dounut(s)".....

:popcorn:

How about a bidding war? We have Donut Frenzy. How could any cop possibly resist that? Denny, you can start with the neighbor kids and work your way to the teens down the street.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Out of curiosity, would you say the ones that call you out for discipline duty are mostly single mom type situations? I know when we were kids, we'd give mom a lot more grief than we'd ever think about giving dad. And there were a few times, when my boys were younger, I had to step in and "take it up a notch" and let them know what's what.
    Yes, vast majority. 911=dial a dad.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I was afraid of that.

Government solutions to family problems usually fall short of....optimum.
    Yeah, as a rookie, I was excited to help. I had a nice speech and everything. Now...I have to hold my tongue to prevent going of on parent and getting complained on. lAst week, I had one mom WANT me to take her adopted son to juvi because he refused to go to school (he was 10) and that she was over him. He has serious emotional problem form the sound of it and I do not think she was taking them seriously, but what do I know? Since the kid liked the police, I talked to him nicely, as a friend. Last thing I want to do is turn a kid from my ally to my enemy by being the "bad cop" if I do not have to. Know your audience ;)

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Once the police are called they're going to deal with the situation like police, not like special ed. teachers.

That is not true. She has had to call police on a student to help them get control over them and the Deputy handled it like human being with training in how to deal with kids and especially kids with special needs.

Top Bottom