• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Problem is that the ones specially TRAINED to deal with these situations call those who are NOT to handle them. I see it all the time, "out of control kid" "out of control adult at group home" etc. People are lightning quick to pass the liability on to us...gee thanks.

My wife has only had to call one time. They start with a team call which is comprised of various teachers and administration that are trained, they work to get control through Dept. of Ed approved ways. They would have cleared the room at the start of the team call but they would then keep the child in that room and call the parents and then they still give them up to 30 min to get there. If the parent can't get there or even that doesn't work then they call the police.

This is why all LEO's need more training in how to deal with special needs and the mentally disabled. What that SRO did was completely wrong and he should have known that it was. How many times do we have to see special needs person killed because they couldn't comprehend the commands being given to them. There are better ways and they must be taught and used.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife has only had to call one time. They start with a team call which is comprised of various teachers and administration that are trained, they work to get control through Dept. of Ed approved ways. They would have cleared the room at the start of the team call but they would then keep the child in that room and call the parents and then they still give them up to 30 min to get there. If the parent can't get there or even that doesn't work then they call the police.

This is why all LEO's need more training in how to deal with special needs and the mentally disabled. What that SRO did was completely wrong and he should have known that it was. How many times do we have to see special needs person killed because they couldn't comprehend the commands being given to them. There are better ways and they must be taught and used.

A single person can only receive and maintain so much training. Deal with traffic/bad guys/domestic/ hostages etc and so on. Now dealing with special needs kids.

Seriously folks, LEO is not superhuman.

Have a few on every shift possibly but the entire force.
    If you are running a special needs facility there needs to be someone on staff for this.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    A single person can only receive and maintain so much training. Deal with traffic/bad guys/domestic/ hostages etc and so on. Now dealing with special needs kids.

If you are running a special needs facility there needs to be someone on staff for this.

No it doesn't need to be every officer but at least a few on every shift. If I remember right typically only a few officers in a dept. are trained to give Field Sobriety Test, so it could work like that. I am even willing to pay higher taxes for officers to be trained for it because even a person with a disability deserves to be treated fairly. Don't get me wrong at some point a LEO may still have to use deadly force on a person with special needs but I want everything else tried first.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No it doesn't need to be every officer but at least a few on every shift. If I remember right typically only a few officers in a dept. are trained to give Field Sobriety Test, so it could work like that. I am even willing to pay higher taxes for officers to be trained for it because it is even a person with a disability deserves to be treated fairly. Don't get me wrong at some point a LEO may still have to use deadly force on a person with special needs but I want everything else tried first.

Again I say their needs to be someone on staff at every facility that handles special needs people. All ages.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Yeah, as a rookie, I was excited to help. I had a nice speech and everything. Now...I have to hold my tongue to prevent going of on parent and getting complained on. lAst week, I had one mom WANT me to take her adopted son to juvi because he refused to go to school (he was 10) and that she was over him. He has serious emotional problem form the sound of it and I do not think she was taking them seriously, but what do I know? Since the kid liked the police, I talked to him nicely, as a friend. Last thing I want to do is turn a kid from my ally to my enemy by being the "bad cop" if I do not have to. Know your audience ;)

Fishers Fire Dept. in the mid 90's kept me on the right track. Dad died when I was 11 and mom worked 4 jobs to keep the lights on half the time. There were many times they would let me stay and eat with them and just hang out or teach me about the trucks and gear. Life got tougher as we moved away from there but at least I had a base to stand on and say this is the way I need to go.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

And here ^^^ is part of the problem on the parental side!

There used to be, by and large, a consistent and generally universal method of raising and training kids. It didn't matter if you were catholic, protestant, Jewish, or baptist. It did not matter if you were poor, middle classed, or rich. It did not matter if the family was blue collar, white collar, or off colour collar. It wasn't relevant if the kid was male or female. It didn't matter if the parent was male or female. It didn't matter if they were white, black, Asian, or Latino.

All children were taught in a by and large two (2) parent home to be respectful of their elders, do some chores around the home, and make by God certain they didn't get in trouble. And do your homework too. Kids weren't afraid of the police, they were afraid of mom or dad (mostly dad).

Nowadays, if the parental unit even implies the use of negative reinforcement (ie. an a-- whoopin) the kids can call the cops or get CPS involved and the parental units are afraid. That is, of course, depending upon the number and make up of said unit. It could be a single parent, an olde fashioned mom & dad, or a new dad & dad or mom & mom.

There are wonderful and great benefits to diversity. I am not attacking it! It can allow for some serious out of the box thinking. It can bring a new perspective and understanding to a company or community. However, we tend to only want to look at the positives without fully appreciating the negative side of change. With such change we have broken the mold for the training of parents. The diversity has created collateral damage on what is viewed as acceptable. The rules are inconsistent. Children are NOT getting the benefit of understanding what consistent, proper behavior is across the majority of ethnic and social boundaries. Then they grow, breed, reproduce and fail to pass on good behavioral traits that cost society on the whole.

Oh yeah, one other thing, it used to be that if a child was caught doing something stupid, dangerous or just plain wrong any parent could grab said offender, demand their parents address, haul them there and the parent of the child would listen and say "THANK YOU" for letting me know. They would then appropriately deal with the child. Even if the child didn't do anything wrong the parent of the child appreciated the neighbor bringing the matter to their attention. Today, the lack of consistency has created a lack of fear on the part of the child. IF anyone were to dare grab the child and take them to their parents they are just as likely to get a "HOW DARE YOU TOUCH MY DARLING ANGEL" instead of the previously mention appreciation. Parents tend to take their child's bad behavior as a personal attack on their parenting skills instead of simply acknowledging that while you child may be an angel most of the time, within each one Mr. Hyde is going to get out from time to time and cause havok.

Ok, rant over now. Thank you for listening.

Regards,

Doug

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Libertarian01 said:
    Nowadays, if the parental unit even implies the use of negative reinforcement (ie. an a-- whoopin) the kids can call the cops or get CPS involved and the parental units are afraid.

Is this really true? I've never been afraid to discipline my children. Of course, it should start long before they even know how to call the cops or CPS. If you start that late in life, it's probably too late.

I hesitate to long for the 'good ole days' of parenting. If those parents were so great, how did they raise this generation of parents?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Is this really true? I've never been afraid to discipline my children. Of course, it should start long before they even know how to call the cops or CPS. If you start that late in life, it's probably too late.

I hesitate to long for the 'good ole days' of parenting. If those parents were so great, how did they raise this generation of parents?

I would say that the problem is not the methods which are ancient, but rather the social construction of our society post-WW II in which we no longer have at least one full-time parent compounded with the advent of Benjamin Spock and other similar menaces to society resulting in a generation or so of those methods often being given lip service but not actually employed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Hell yes it is true.

I have seen this idiocy in action.

The system generated all of this. It started with a parenting book long ago by Dr. Spock (If memory erves) and it has been down hill ever since.

Also add in the single parent situation and here we ware.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have literally never met a person who got in trouble with the police or CPS for spanking their child. I'm not saying it never happens, I have no doubt about the size and intrusiveness of our police state. But is that really why people aren't disciplining their children?

Also, what exactly did Dr. Spock say that destroyed our nation?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    This little "moment in time" doesn't tell us much. First, one has to wonder how the cop got there. Was the child out of control such that normal techniques failed? Or was this a school resource officer misusing his authority?

We don't see what happened prior. Possibly cop tried to talk to the kid and the kid was out of control. Restraint would have to be necessary then.

My friend who is a special ed teacher had to learn how to restrain kids and hold them until they settled down or someone else came. Some times it's the only option

I would hope this is very rare.

It's amusing that they lead with the "ADHD" because it's not relevant to the officer's decision.. It's not the teacher's job nor especially a cop who was called to diagnose and treat medical or psychological issues. Either way, the child should be treated with compassion first. It could be a kid who is normally great, but their kitten just died. Or grumpy because they had the flu. Or on medication. Or truly disabled and still a spoiled brat. The story is phrased in a way to bias an opinion.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have literally never met a person who got in trouble with the police or CPS for spanking their child. I'm not saying it never happens, I have no doubt about the size and intrusiveness of our police state. But is that really why people aren't disciplining their children?

Actually - The World!
    Spock pissed off Captain Nero because he failed to save Romulus from a big hole with some red slime.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Steve,

Come on man. You are a very smart person, but you are either living in Mayberry USA OR just not paying attention on the "children out of control" issues.

No, not that many people have to be arrested for the FEAR of being arrested to become ingrained.

How many times have you been to the store or restaurant and witnessed an obnoxious, out of control child not be punished? Sure, sometimes it is obnoxious and/or lazy parents, but I would venture to guess that just as often it is a parent who would really want to swat their own brat but is afraid to do so for fear of having the cops called on them. All it takes is one (1) damn busybody to report child abuse, and everybody knows this.

Of course I am using a broad brush here. Not every child with a discipline issue is due to bad parenting, or a lack of consistent parenting. But I do believe that this lack of a social norm is a significant factor in many of the problems we are seeing today.

When I was a kid if I got out of control at school (early 70's) I would be sent to the principals office where I could be disciplined with a big paddle. Mr. Lucas had it hanging on the all and it would put holy terror in you just to look at it. It seldom came down but when it did the kid (once me) knew they were going to remember that event. Looking back Mr. Lucas was a very kind and sweet old man. I have nothing but fond memories of seeing him in the school hall with a friendly smile and "good morning." The difference was the thought was clear that it WAS HIS SCHOOL and HE was in charge, period! He ran that place. Today, no one is in charge. Even the position of principal is more of a bureaucrat as a cog in a larger educational machine. Authority? Heaven forbid! Fill out the proper paperwork, submit to proper authorities, call proper law enforcement, wait for backup from higher ups. Everyone CYA so that if/when it hits the news we can point to anyone but the real people with power - parents. Heaven forbid we slam mommy and daddy for not providing proper discipline, instilling respect for others, and learning good citizenship. (Caveat: I also believe this is more accurate in larger, urbanized school systems than smaller, rural school systems.)

The good ol' days weren't as good as we'd like to think they were. We tend to use rose coloured glasses, but there were some fine points that don't need the glasses, they were good on their own. A generally homogenous society had its good points along with the bad.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Actually - The World!
    Spock pissed off Captain Nero because he failed to save Romulus from a big hole with some red slime.

I take exception to "slime". It was a red liquid matter that forms into nifty red spheres. Not slime. Slime just...slimes. It's icky.

Red matter is much cooler. The Vulcan Science Academy first made it by running Decalithium through 9 cycles of a new water saving dishwasher. It was an accident really. They expected to devise a process for cleaning the Decalithium so it could be safely used in homes, but found instead the water saving apparatus actually processed the Decalithium into the red matter, a drop of which could form a singularity. That discovery certainly raised some Vulcan eyebrows (metaphorically speaking of course).

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Libertarian01 said:
    Come on man. You are a very smart person

That's what I'VE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG! :D

Libertarian01 said:
    but you are either living in Mayberry USA OR just not paying attention on the "children out of control" issues.

Maybe, maybe not. I can't make up my mind. Were parents actually better back then? Or did they just more often beat their children whenever they embarrassed them and then go back to ignoring them the rest of the time? Are people just more honest about their parenting styles now?

Libertarian01 said:
    but I would venture to guess that just as often it is a parent who would really want to swat their own brat but is afraid to do so for fear of having the cops called on them

Eh, maybe. So take the kid out to the car. I've done it many times, got a few dirty looks too. Is it hard? Yes, being a good parent is hard and I probably fail more than I succeed. But you gotta get it done anyways.

I'm not going to say that you're wrong, but I have my doubts that prior generations were actually better parents. I think there were social stigmas attached with a loud child and parents based their discipline around not being embarrassed in public, but is that good parenting? Focusing on what other people think of you as a parent?

Just some thoughts. I'm no parenting expert. You could be right in all of this.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Back on topic, I call it societal entropy. Successive generations of society become more "progressive" such that through each iteration, ever more moral/social barriers are removed. However, some moral/social barriers may actually keep society from destroying itself. Conservatives want to conserve the old ways, while progressives want to progress beyond them. Granted, some of the moral/social barriers are silly and should be discarded. We tend to disagree on which are still worthwhile and which we should progress beyond. But as society devolves into further chaos, it becomes apparent that some of those choices were wrong.

Probably the most impacting social barrier removed from our society has been personal responsibility vs. personal consequences. Consequences, now, are largely absorbed by society rather than borne primarily by the responsible person. Sometimes what we think are advances only foster entropy.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I take exception to "slime". It was a red liquid matter that forms into nifty red spheres. Not slime. Slime just...slimes. It's icky.

Red matter is much cooler. The Vulcan Science Academy first made it by running Decalithium through 9 cycles of a new water saving dishwasher. It was an accident really. They expected to devise a process for cleaning the Decalithium so it could be safely used in homes, but found instead the water saving apparatus actually processed the Decalithium into the red matter, a drop of which could form a singularity. That discovery certainly raised some Vulcan eyebrows (metaphorically speaking of course).

NERD

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

He convinced a generation of parents that disciplining their children was unnecessary, harmful, and barbaric. It seems that as soon as a large number of children raised under this thinking started to reach an age where the consequences became manifest, we got what we have.

Top Bottom