• 10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    Cool, now do social media...

D O P A M I N E A D D I C T I ON

The entirety of the problem with social media in all forms is the instant gratification and the tiny hits of dopamine that lock you into a cycle of micro dosing tik toks or posting all day long. I know plenty of adults who were alive long before social media who can't stop. Imagine your brain forming while you grow addicted and trying to break that cycle. It isn't the child's fault for eating too much candy and ice cream before they know better. It's the parents fault for giving them unfettered access before they can reason.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You did fine, but I wasn't even thinking along those lines so much as I was about kids being "bullied" by their peers (people they do know), and parents allowing it to go on. Then those same kids often go on to commit suicide or seek "revenge" by shooting up a school, etc..
    You know what the sad thing was? I woke up and instead of saying my morning prayer first, I reached over, grabbed the phone, and read/responded on INGO! Talk about idolatry and its Sunday.

At least I have it down for confession!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Marijuana isn't a good fit for some people, shocker. Anyone watched a pharmaceutical commercial in the past 15 years and listened to the list of possible side effects? Believe what you want but marjuana has been around a lot longer than the many tens of thousands of "safe" alternatives cranked out in Chinese factories and pushed by profit driven corporate executives.

Your great grandparents likely used it to treat a variety of ailments. It was at one time a very common and popular medication in this country being both marketed and utilized by a large portion of the population no differently than any other "medicine" at the time. Then the government came along and educated us all on how dangerous it was. I can't imagine how human beings have managed to avoid extinction during the tens of thousands of years its been used.

We all know our government would never be interested in doing anything like outlawing a plant strictly for the purposes of power, control and money.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Interestingly, my wife was a psych nurse for almost 2 decades and can vouch for everything said in the posted link.

I didn't care about legalization for years, was almost for it even though it was never my thing. I used to say that I had never seen someone smoke a joint and go get into a fight.
    I constantly got the reply during conversations, that the younger people using were having mental breakdowns, from my wife. This would open up excessive use of other drugs to self medicate. They whole "gateway" scenario is real.

One of the issues is that today's marijuana is not Willie Nelson going into his back yard to pick and dry out a leaf to smoke. Today's pot is mostly hydroponically grown and genetically engineered.
    THC was typically less than 5% in naturally grown weed, but today the average is above 20%. This was verified for me by an ISP member I met through some mutual friends. There have been reports of the THC being much higher in some samples. There is no real medical data of the affects of THC in those concentrations on the human body.

Young people, whose minds are still developing, are literally smoking themselves into mental breakdowns and in many cases become violent during those psychotic episodes.

Maybe we should stop getting data from those who want to push medical marijuana with the end game of legalized recreational use, as was admitted publicly by those associations, and start listening to the doctors and nurses that are treating the patients when they eventually have a mental health crisis. The lobbyists/ pushers are like big pharma, they want it recreational so they can cash in on the big payday.
    Is it the government's job to save people from themselves?

Young people also literally drink themselves to death. Are you advocating making alcohol illegal again?

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    As someone who is married to a cognitive psychologist who wrote her PhD on memory accuracy and studies measurable cognitive effects as a profession, I can tell you it’s easy to write a study to be skewed.

I could write a study that would support the sky being red. True statisticians and scientists don’t use the word “proof” as you can’t ever truly prove anything, only find supporting evidence to your argument. Remember this next time you read a “scientific” article.

The majority of scientific, peer-reviewed, non-opinion nor political based studies have found normal marijuana use harmless to social function and brain function, and not a predictor of socioeconomic or social status decline.

On the flip side, moderate to heavy alcohol use has shown negative effects in ALL these factors.

So what’s the real devil here?

Last edited:

Grinderman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2024
    Cloverdale
    Is it the government's job to save people from themselves?

Young people also literally drink themselves to death. Are you advocating making alcohol illegal again?
    I don't believe government should be doing anything outside of what the Constitution allows it to. I'm actually in the "remove all the warning labels" camp.

But when that same government wants to put me in jail because I smoke check some mental POS that's having a mental breakdown because of the cr*p he just smoked and endangers my family, well, I have a problem with that too.
    I also think that parents should take responsibility and raise their kids so they don't drink or smoke themselves to death, but that's a rarity it seems.

Government has the opposite of the Midas Touch, everything it touches goes to cr*p. They use regulation to fix problems from their regulation, and for some reason, we the people, keep giving them more power to regulate.

But don't worry, they'll legalize pot along with whatever else and criminalize the guns and their owners. Should be a good time.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    If they had their way there would be no 4473, or, ya know, gun shops, or, guns for that matter. Hey, at least we could all stay too wacked to care!!!
    Not being argumentative, but who are you referencing with "they?" We republicans have been the ones defending the opiate companies. Talk about too wacked out to care.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't believe government should be doing anything outside of what the Constitution allows it to. I'm actually in the "remove all the warning labels" camp.

But when that same government wants to put me in jail because I smoke check some mental POS that's having a mental breakdown because of the cr*p he just smoked and endangers my family, well, I have a problem with that too.
    I also think that parents should take responsibility and raise their kids so they don't drink or smoke themselves to death, but that's a rarity it seems.

Government has the opposite of the Midas Touch, everything it touches goes to cr*p. They use regulation to fix problems from their regulation, and for some reason, we the people, keep giving them more power to regulate.

But don't worry, they'll legalize pot along with whatever else and criminalize the guns and their owners. Should be a good time.

I've seen to many people read studys and then take them as facts. You cant explain to most of them that they are generally opinions of the writer and not much more.

As a free republic I should be able to walk in a store and buy anything I want.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne

Interestingly, my wife was a psych nurse for almost 2 decades and can vouch for everything said in the posted link.

I didn't care about legalization for years, was almost for it even though it was never my thing. I used to say that I had never seen someone smoke a joint and go get into a fight.
    I constantly got the reply during conversations, that the younger people using were having mental breakdowns, from my wife. This would open up excessive use of other drugs to self medicate. They whole "gateway" scenario is real.

One of the issues is that today's marijuana is not Willie Nelson going into his back yard to pick and dry out a leaf to smoke. Today's pot is mostly hydroponically grown and genetically engineered.
    THC was typically less than 5% in naturally grown weed, but today the average is above 20%. This was verified for me by an ISP member I met through some mutual friends. There have been reports of the THC being much higher in some samples. There is no real medical data of the affects of THC in those concentrations on the human body.

Young people, whose minds are still developing, are literally smoking themselves into mental breakdowns and in many cases become violent during those psychotic episodes.

Maybe we should stop getting data from those who want to push medical marijuana with the end game of legalized recreational use, as was admitted publicly by those associations, and start listening to the doctors and nurses that are treating the patients when they eventually have a mental health crisis. The lobbyists/ pushers are like big pharma, they want it recreational so they can cash in on the big payday.
    This is insane. There is something making kids have mental breakdowns, but it's not cannabis.

As for lobbyists, yes it is motivated by money. Everything is. It's a huge market.

Big pharma isn't pushing for legalization. Increased cannabis use in legal states have led to decreased opioid use in those states. Big pharma has kept it illegal, you think they want you to be able to grow your own medicine? They are pushing for a Schedule II classification, which is how they would be able to take control and make profits and would make it much harder for normal people to operate dispensaries, small scale cultivation, etc.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    This is insane. There is something making kids have mental breakdowns, but it's not cannabis.

As for lobbyists, yes it is motivated by money. Everything is. It's a huge market.

Big pharma isn't pushing for legalization. Increased cannabis use in legal states have led to decreased opioid use in those states. Big pharma has kept it illegal, you think they want you to be able to grow your own medicine? They are pushing for a Schedule II classification, which is how they would be able to take control and make profits and would make it much harder for normal people to operate dispensaries, small scale cultivation, etc.
    How many times can I like everything you just said?

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    How many times can I like everything you just said?
    Reefer Madness still exists, which is why 38 of the other states have some form of legalization before Indiana. We have 10 years of data to study regarding impacts of legalization, and I'm not aware of 1 study showing a connection to mental breakdowns.

Not saying that doesn't happen, especially in young kids who's minds are still very much developing. It's not meant for them just like alcohol isn't meant for them. It has undeniable medicinal benefits and standing in the way of people who want to use it that way is wrong.

Grinderman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2024
    Cloverdale
    That is really a stupid place to go with this discussion.
    I wasn't trying to go that direction and I didn't bring up the 4473.
    My original point is that there are factors to the discussion that should be considered. I have concerns for kids who don't know how it's going to affect them. If your an adult, have at it. You are responsible for your own actions.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    I wasn't trying to go that direction and I didn't bring up the 4473.
    My original point is that there are factors to the discussion that should be considered. I have concerns for kids who don't know how it's going to affect them. If your an adult, have at it. You are responsible for your own actions.
    I think we all agree on that!

Top Bottom