• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You seem to make the assumption that pot users use it while in the performance of their daily employment duties. You know that many professionals, including surgeons, pilots, etc. use alcohol regularly. Do you make the same assumption that they're drinking on the job too?
    Not if they are successful, but what I am hearing from the true believers about MJ is that it makes you MORE creative or MORE focused, and I confess that the few users that I know believe even using at work does not adversely affect their performance, so I don't know how to parse the likelihood that professionals use at work

It would be interesting to know how many of the 'successful' users use all the time

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    To be honest, probably not. I would find the datum interesting, but I am old and set in my ways

Edit: If it were proven to make even a small percentage of professionals MORE competent, I might have to reconsider

I can tell you that during my brief dalliance during my college days, the big attraction for me was focus. I could sit down, smoke a one hit, and be able to concentrate intensely on a guitar riff or baseline that I wanted to master and make it happen. Not sure it couldn't be done straight, it just seemed easier lifted

But I was an engineering student in a competitive program, and outside of music it just seemed to make people lazy and stupid, content to miss deadlines and or be satisfied with a B+

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not if they are successful, but what I am hearing from the true believers about MJ is that it makes you MORE creative or MORE focused, and I confess that the few users that I know believe even using at work does not adversely affect their performance, so I don't know how to parse the likelihood that professionals use at work

It would be interesting to know how many of the 'successful' users use all the time
    Some may claim that, and I can see it. You know that Edgar Allen Poe was an opium addict, right? Do you like Tom Petty? It's said that he smoked joints like cigarette smokers smoke cigarettes. He seemed to do alright for himself. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To be honest, probably not. I would find the datum interesting, but I am old and set in my ways

Edit: If it were proven to make even a small percentage of professionals MORE competent, I might have to reconsider

I can tell you that during my brief dalliance during my college days, the big attraction for me was focus. I could sit down, smoke a one hit, and be able to concentrate intensely on a guitar riff or baseline that I wanted to master and make it happen. Not sure it couldn't be done straight, it just seemed easier lifted

But I was an engineering student in a competitive program, and outside of music it just seemed to make people lazy and stupid, content to miss deadlines and or be satisfied with a B+
    :faint: Oh man. College days... We should have a beer together, since most of my college days might be self-incriminating and I don't want to post that on the internet. :lmfao:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

What do you call a doctor, engineer or lawyer who graduated with a B+ GPA? :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I went to General Motors Institute (now Kettering University I think) right out of high school, which was ranked about as high as MIT back then. There were a lot of people (like me) that breezed through high school, barely cracking a book. There were others that got there because they busted their butts in high school.

While I had had "dalliances" in high school, I kicked it into high gear up in Flint. So did the others like me. Most of us were gone by the end of the first year. I wouldn't say that our failings were due to our "dalliances" affecting our intellect so much as I would say that we were partying instead of studying.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    IMO you are STILL mistaking the case. The way you formulate what I quoted makes it seem as if those people used and still were high achievers, but you then reveal that they may have only started using in later life/retirement

One is not evidence for the other. If I am misunderstanding you, please indicate how. IMO you are arguing against my assertion that any successful user would likely have been capable of more without the constant use, but your evidence is that you know people who are successful but have only begun using recently. Non sequitur
    I came into this thread as someone without any real knowledge about modern pot and its effects on users, I have no position on if it should be legal or not. I gave my most relevant experiences with users in hope of it furthering the conversation, you seem like you just want to twist my words, put me on the defense and debate me but I don't have a dog in this fight. In order to better understand your position I asked your views about alcohol prohibition and asked for you to post links of studies supporting your claims but you ignored those requests and tried to paint me into a corner. You are not adding anything to the thread and I have no further interest in continued dialogue with you so I am putting you on ignore.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My question would be, how much better could they have done in school or at life if they weren't stoned all the time

Personally, I fail to understand the need/desire to be lifted all the time just as I can't understand the need/desire to be drunk all the time. No matter how high functioning they are, I have to believe their true peak capabilities are muted and it mostly just makes them happy to be a wage slave
    I have a question. Do you believe that all/most recreational users use all the time?

The better one for pilots is:

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots
    That's also a good one, and I'd say goes hand in hand with each other. But there are exceptions to the rule. Lindbergh and Yeager come to mind.
    I went to General Motors Institute (now Kettering University I think) right out of high school, which was ranked about as high as MIT back then. There were a lot of people (like me) that breezed through high school, barely cracking a book. There were others that got there because they busted their butts in high school.

While I had had "dalliances" in high school, I kicked it into high gear up in Flint. So did the others like me. Most of us were gone by the end of the first year. I wouldn't say that our failings were due to our "dalliances" affecting our intellect so much as I would say that we were partying instead of studying.
    Off topic, but would you say more of those that had to bust their butt or those that breezed through were gone by the end of the first year? Or about even?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Definitely the ones that breezed through. The ones that worked hard in high school continued to work hard in college.
    Thanks much, that's what I've seen and was curious. IMO I think at least part of it is never learning to properly study. My son breezed through school on the a-b honor roll with virtually no effort, never brought home homework, he did it in the next class. Only class he actually had to study for was college credit AP Chem. When he hit college he was overwhelmed. And no he wasn't using MJ.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thanks much, that's what I've seen and was curious. IMO I think at least part of it is never learning to properly study. My son breezed through school on the a-b honor roll with virtually no effort, never brought home homework, he did it in the next class. Only class he actually had to study for was college credit AP Chem. When he hit college he was overwhelmed. And no he wasn't using MJ.
    Sounds like me back in the day.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Some may claim that, and I can see it. You know that Edgar Allen Poe was an opium addict, right? Do you like Tom Petty? It's said that he smoked joints like cigarette smokers smoke cigarettes. He seemed to do alright for himself. ;)
    Yeah, but the only thing Petty's constant state of liftedness could hurt would be the price to value ratio of tickets to a show (and besides, I liked the band for Mike Campbell's work not Petty's). It would be different if such people were performing complicated medical procedures or piloting my airline flight or even, heaven forbid, running a company I have invested in

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I came into this thread as someone without any real knowledge about modern pot and its effects on users, I have no position on if it should be legal or not. I gave my most relevant experiences with users in hope of it furthering the conversation, you seem like you just want to twist my words, put me on the defense and debate me but I don't have a dog in this fight. In order to better understand your position I asked your views about alcohol prohibition and asked for you to post links of studies supporting your claims but you ignored those requests and tried to paint me into a corner. You are not adding anything to the thread and I have no further interest in continued dialogue with you so I am putting you on ignore.
    As I've said before to others, sweet

I'm rather tired of the trope that you can post your opinions and they must be accepted at face value with no argument, whereas I cannot post an opinion in disagreement without citing scholarly work on an unrelated question. Who is trying to paint who into a corner?

Just another variation on the Freedom! justification/nonsense that brooks no dissent from 'orthodoxy'

The thread title is '
    Democrats want to Legalize Marijuana', not

'Thread Exclusively for Those Who Agree with Democrats Who Want to Legalize Marijuana'

Good day, sir

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah, but the only thing Petty's constant state of liftedness could hurt would be the price to value ratio of tickets to a show (and besides, I liked the band for Mike Campbell's work not Petty's). It would be different if such people were performing complicated medical procedures or piloting my airline flight or even, heaven forbid, running a company I have invested in

How about running our country? Sitting on the bench at SCOTUS?

I'll ask again, do you think most recreational users use most/all of the time?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have a question. Do you believe that all/most recreational users use all the time?
    I did a quick goto on the question. I would have thought at least 1 in 3, but from what I could find it was 1 in 8 use daily, 1 in 9 weekly and the two classes combine to encompass just under 1 in 4 either/or. Not what my experience during college would have led me to believe

I did also see data indicating high quality MJ had an average price of $326 per ounce and the average users expenditure on MJ was $41.99 per week or about 1/8 ounce per week. Not sure how many one hits that 1/8 ounce translates into but seems closer to daily use than not. Using an average number has statistical weaknesses, though. Median expenditure would be better

That's also a good one, and I'd say goes hand in hand with each other. But there are exceptions to the rule. Lindbergh and Yeager come to mind.
    Agreed, but Yeager was at the pointy end of the skillset distribution and he still had a couple of hairy experiences plus the option to bail out. Both were predominantly famous for one flight only. The maxim is more in reference to the law of averages catching up quickly to those inclined to take chances. Aviation was and is very unforgiving
    Off topic, but would you say more of those that had to bust their butt or those that breezed through were gone by the end of the first year? Or about even?
    Not addressed to me, I know, but my experience was the ones that busted their butt in high school were better able to make up for a dearth of raw talent because they already had good study habits. the ones who breezed through high school seemed to have a harder time settling down and putting in the work necessary to do well. My particular alma mater was on the quarter system when I attended. If you're not familiar, that meant from first day of a class through finals was about eleven weeks with a midterm about every three weeks. You always had to hit the ground running and started every quarter with an immediate heavy workload. The ones who never had to work at it were often not good at making the adjustment

When things became highly abstract and theoretical and the ability to think became more important was when the bust their butt types often ran out of steam

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How about running our country? Sitting on the bench at SCOTUS?

I'll ask again, do you think most recreational users use most/all of the time?
    You were posting while I was

If you 'asked again' do I need to answer again? Or is once enough

After Sotomayor's recent performance, I'm not sure I'd use being lifted while on the bench at SCOTUS as an example :whistle:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I did a quick goto on the question. I would have thought at least 1 in 3, but from what I could find it was 1 in 8 use daily, 1 in 9 weekly and the two classes combine to encompass just under 1 in 4 either/or. Not what my experience during college would have led me to believe

I did also see data indicating high quality MJ had an average price of $326 per ounce and the average users expenditure on MJ was $41.99 per week or about 1/8 ounce per week. Not sure how many one hits that 1/8 ounce translates into but seems closer to daily use than not. Using an average number has statistical weaknesses, though. Median expenditure would be better
    Honestly sounds about right for the people I know now. If you compare alcohol usage among yourself and your peers during college does it reflect the same usage as what you experience now? Why would MJ be any different?

Not sure on number of hits, but many years ago when I was smoking an 1/8 was about 4 joints. So maybe not daily but possibly more than once a week. Although JFK supposedly smoked 3 joints, refused a fourth and was quoted as saying "What if the Russians were to do something now". He is alleged to have experimented with it for back pain while in office. I'm sure what he was smoking was probably a bit lower potency. Between a couple of friends when I was using it, a 1/8 would be a nice evening. I do know someone that used to go through about a 1/4 lb a week. That was very heavy daily usage.
    Agreed, but Yeager was at the pointy end of the skillset distribution and he still had a couple of hairy experiences plus the option to bail out. Both were predominantly famous for one flight only. The maxim is more in reference to the law of averages catching up quickly to those inclined to take chances. Aviation was and is very unforgiving
    I can agree with this.
    Not addressed to me, I know, but my experience was the ones that busted their butt in high school were better able to make up for a dearth of raw talent because they already had good study habits. the ones who breezed through high school seemed to have a harder time settling down and putting in the work necessary to do well. My particular alma mater was on the quarter system when I attended. If you're not familiar, that meant from first day of a class through finals was about eleven weeks with a midterm about every three weeks. You always had to hit the ground running and started every quarter with an immediate heavy workload. The ones who never had to work at it were often not good at making the adjustment

When things became highly abstract and theoretical and the ability to think became more important was when the bust their butt types often ran out of steam
    Thanks for chiming in. It's an open forum anyone that cares to answer is more than welcome to. God only knows how many times I have. :) Yeah, that's what I've seen as well. It's when someone has the brain power and is also the bust your butt type that things really work out. I've known a few of those. One's a nurse, finished salutatorian in HS then got her masters (I believe summa *** laude) in nursing in something like 3 yrs while working full time and still found time to party pretty heavily. They were in the first accelerated nursing program at Purdue in the '80s. The partying was mostly alcohol but did have some weed mixed in.

You were posting while I was

If you 'asked again' do I need to answer again? Or is once enough

After Sotomayor's recent performance, I'm not sure I'd use being lifted while on the bench at SCOTUS as an example :whistle:
    I wasn't referring to Sotomayor, I have no idea of her usage of any drugs. Except IMO she definitely took the blue pill and washed it down with a big glass of kool-aid.

My reference was to Justice C. Thomas. I believe you'd agree with me that he has the brain power and the drive.

“I was smart enough to use pot without getting caught, and now I’m on the Supreme Court. If you were stupid enough to get caught, that’s your problem. Your appeal is denied. This 40 year sentence just might teach you a lesson.”​

Clarence Thomas

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom